Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 09:16 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

I watched the closing ceremony. It wasn't bad, though I could do without the NBC commentator blathering over the "first black woman" winning this event or the "first non-binary person" winning that event. In this ever-woke era we live in, I suppose we're stuck with this for a while, at least until a black person and a non-binary person wins every possible event. Maybe then we can just go back to saying how many Americans won the various events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 09:46 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I watched the closing ceremony. It wasn't bad, though I could do without the NBC commentator blathering over the "first black woman" winning this event or the "first non-binary person" winning that event. In this ever-woke era we live in, I suppose we're stuck with this for a while, at least until a black person and a non-binary person wins every possible event. Maybe then we can just go back to saying how many Americans won the various events.
you actually stuck it out to the closing ceremony?!?

Old 02-20-2022, 09:47 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I streamed it on Peacock, the international feed version, without any distracting commentary. And only a few 30-second commercials.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
you actually stuck it out to the closing ceremony?!?
No. The opening and closing ceremonies (especially the opening) are always my favorite parts of any Olympics and I always watch them. As for the actual events, I watched some of the bobsledding. Wanted to see the event where they combine cross-country skiing with riflery (I forget what it's called), but sadly, I missed it. My wife enjoys figure skating, so every now and then I'd watch some of that with her. That's about it.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I streamed it on Peacock, the international feed version, without any distracting commentary. And only a few 30-second commercials.
Darn, I didn't even think about that. Actually, I used to enjoy the Olympic commercials, because a lot of them would tie into the host city in some way or another, and I like seeing the snippets of local scenery. Used to be that the Olympic broadcast itself would also do some "human interest" stories about the local area as well. But sadly, I didn't really see any of that this time.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:38 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Artistic and technical are still separate. It’s technical score and performance components. They simply renamed artistic to be performance components. The old style of scoring was very unfair because it was based on opinion. A Russian skater would skate a mediocre program and get 10’s from Russian judges. It was several scandals related to that kind of scoring that made them change it. It is much more fair this way.

Even in the old days, they would’ve gotten higher scores for more jumps and bigger jumps. Tara Lipinsky wasn’t that artistic nor was the girl who beat Nancy Kerrigan, but they still won under the old scoring system. The difference today is that someone like Nathan Chen who can get extremely high technical scores is always going to beat someone like Jason Brown who has a low technical score but high performance scores. But they still put Jason Brown on the Olympic team, instead of the 15-year-old phenom with all the quads.

The shame about Kamillia was she had both technical prowess and artistry.

It’s really not a sport if there isn’t any clear scoring criteria, if it’s based on opinion alone. What other sport does that?
Boxing. There have been a number of scandalous decisions made in Olympic boxing over the years.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:15 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
I checked out after the figure skating debacle.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:13 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Did anyone watch the gala? Apparently the #me too memo was not given to the Italians or Russians, LOL.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:41 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Did anyone watch the gala? Apparently the #me too memo was not given to the Italians or Russians, LOL.
Why? What happened? I watched it as background so I must've missed it. Now, I'm curious!

Btw, I kind of miss the Olympics. I didn't watch it closely but I did pay attention to some of it piecemeal. You do get hooked. Except for curling and hockey. Could do without on both.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:22 PM

Is it just me, or did there seem to be little actual snow on the ground, other than the artificial stuff on the ski slopes? Whenever they'd show a wide view of the mountainous area, it seemed like there was hardly any snow on the ground. I noticed this at the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics as well. Was this the case of a fluky winter with little snow, or is it that they picked places (like Sochi) that just don't get all that much snow? (I gotta hand it to the Russians, getting the IOC to pick a SUMMER resort city for the WINTER Olympics.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events