Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 10:41 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They OK the Russian after failing a doping test but blocked the American Sprinter this summer after smoking pot.

Something is amiss.
Excellent point, what hypocrisy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
"The girl who won in 2018," as you referred to Alina Zagitova in a previous post, no longer skates. She withdraw from Russian Nationals in 2020 and hasn't competed since.

Smartest thing the ISU can so is to devalue quads to the point where it is of no advantage to perform them. The COP for singles skating puts too much emphasis on jumps and not enough into the development of a skater into a well-rounded performer. Athletes shouldn't be retiring from overuse injuries before they are even out of their teens.
Every sport has progressed and gotten harder over time. I didn't like the emphasis on quads early on, when the men just started doing them, because most of them fell and it marred the entire program. But it's not the case anymore. People said the same thing about triples when they first started to be done.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No surprise they allowed the Russian skater to continue. I suppose they are technically allowed to do so under that shady "protected persons" clause since she's under 16 years of age.

Still, it's a sham just like allowing the Russian's to compete at the winter games at all is a sham. I guarantee they still dope at the highest levels of the sport, but then so does practically every other country.

Some were already anointing her the 'greatest' female figure skater ever despite not winning an Olympic medal, so the powers to be obviously have a vested interest in keeping her in the competition ($$$)
I honestly would have been disappointed not to see her skate, although I think it's unfair.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:12 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
I think they should raise the age for the senior group to be age 18. If you are competing in a senior level competition, then no one should be considered a "minor" with protected status. The young Russian skater just should have continued on the junior level and not have been pushed up. Didn't they raise the age in gymnastics after all of those 13 year old Romanian kids got gold medals and of course it was discovered that they had all taken steroids and ruined their bodies for life.

Whether you are 18 or 15, both ages are still kids. You are still going to be making stupid decisions with the let's live for today and think about tomorrow later mentality. It would be easy to be manipulated by their coaches. However, 18 is the legal age for signing contracts in the US, probably younger in other countries. Just like the East Germans and Romanian gymnasts, this kid has gotten caught in the middle.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:05 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
I've googled and can't find the answer. How would cross contamination with Valieva's grandfather's medication occur?

Old 02-15-2022, 04:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Every sport has progressed and gotten harder over time. I didn't like the emphasis on quads early on, when the men just started doing them, because most of them fell and it marred the entire program. But it's not the case anymore. People said the same thing about triples when they first started to be done.
Thanks to Elaine Zayak there is a limit to how many times a triple van be performed. They need to do the same with quads.

And the 1st men to do them were ADULTS, not teenage girls still physically developing. Elvis Stojko also had an advantage because he had earned a black belt 3 years before he did the 1st quad in combination in 1991, so he had a fitness level above and beyond that of most skaters.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think they should raise the age for the senior group to be age 18. If you are competing in a senior level competition, then no one should be considered a "minor" with protected status. The young Russian skater just should have continued on the junior level and not have been pushed up. Didn't they raise the age in gymnastics after all of those 13 year old Romanian kids got gold medals and of course it was discovered that they had all taken steroids and ruined their bodies for life.

Whether you are 18 or 15, both ages are still kids. You are still going to be making stupid decisions with the let's live for today and think about tomorrow later mentality. It would be easy to be manipulated by their coaches. However, 18 is the legal age for signing contracts in the US, probably younger in other countries. Just like the East Germans and Romanian gymnasts, this kid has gotten caught in the middle.
I've never heard of Romanian gymnasts, or any gymnasts, getting into trouble with steroids. Who are you referring to???

Old 02-15-2022, 10:08 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I've never heard of Romanian gymnasts, or any gymnasts, getting into trouble with steroids. Who are you referring to???
That whole scandal with Nadia Comeneci and company in the 70s. I guess that was before you were born. They redid the scoring system too because she kept getting perfect 10s. Didn't you ever hear of Bela Karolyi?
That was followed by the East German gymnastics scandal.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Excellent point, what hypocrisy!
There is no hypocrisy. Sha'Carri was DQ'ed based on failing a test sample taken at Olympic Trials. She never made it Tokyo. That decision was made by USADA.

Kamila's positive test was from Russian Nationals, which IS the equivalent of an Olympic Trials. RUSADA didn't mark her test as "priority," which is why it wasn't processed as quickly as it should have been. She should never have been in Beijing at all, and wouldn't have been had her test been processed quicker.

And again, neither the IOC or ISU (or WADA) thinks she should be skating now. But their hands are tied by the decision of the CAS. She may be leading after the short program, she may win the long program, but that doesn't mean she is going to be named the official Olympic Champion. They can still strip her of the title.

This is going to have the same kind of ramifications that the Nassar scandal had (the ish still hasn't completely settled on that situation, either). Everything from de emphasizing the value of quads, to raising the age limit for Senior/Olympic participation, to investigating the fact that a 15 year old athlete, with no therapeutic use exemption on file, has tested positive for MULTIPLE heart medications (no one on this thread has mentioned that she also tested for hypoxene, probably because that med is currently not on the banned list). And don't think for one moment that she's the only skater training under Eteri that is taking drugs. She's merely the 1st one to get caught. Eteri is going to be investigated anyway, thanks to that "protected person" status.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 02-15-2022 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-15-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That whole scandal with Nadia Comeneci and company in the 70s. I guess that was before you were born. They redid the scoring system too because she kept getting perfect 10s. Didn't you ever hear of Bela Karolyi?
That was followed by the East German gymnastics scandal.
I was born in 1974, and of course I know who Bela is. I started watching gymnastics in the mid 1980's.

The COP gets rewritten after every Olympic Games. They didn't get rid of the 10.0 system until after 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events