Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2022, 10:32 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I understand the reasons for political and diplomatic boycott, but it also hurts the sportlers who worked very hard to compete. For some this is the last Olympic in their career - they would never get another chance at Olympic competition.They shouldn't be punished.

The IOC should probably never consider China application for the winter games in
a first place, but they try to remain "neutral" on all global political issues which is hard, if not even impossible.
So, their attitude is: the games must go on, and we are trying to bring the world together.
Will the boycott make a big difference? Probably not. China is now #1 economy in the world, and there are better ways to punish China than boycott the Olympics.
Not sure how could one punish a #1 economy?
We already lacking some supplies?
Guess it is for another thread to find the answers…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 10:34 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I understand the reasons for political and diplomatic boycott, but it also hurts the sportlers who worked very hard to compete. For some this is the last Olympic in their career - they would never get another chance at Olympic competition.They shouldn't be punished.

The IOC should probably never consider China application for the winter games in
a first place, but they try to remain "neutral" on all global political issues which is hard, if not even impossible.
So, their attitude is: the games must go on, and we are trying to bring the world together.
Will the boycott make a big difference? Probably not. China is now #1 economy in the world, and there are better ways to punish China than boycott the Olympics.
Not sure how could one punish a #1 economy?
We already lacking some supplies?
Guess it is for another thread to find the answers…

I enjoye to discover some of the obscure sports and some classic events are still exciting to watch; appreciate some human factor stories about Olympians.

I do however despise the political undertones - luckily we have a choice still to switch the channels/videos

Old 02-08-2022, 11:02 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Im sure someone already mentioned it but pretty cool about the woman (girl) who landed a quad.
She's only 15 too. Russia has a couple of other women who do quads, (but not axels) but this girl is the whole package. Johnny Weir said she's the best skater he's ever seen, and that covers decades. And she's only 15. Very unusual for a skater that young to skate with the artistry and sophistication she does. Russians most likely to go 1,2,3 in women's skating.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:05 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Her TEAM won the gold, not just her.

And yes, she was slow. Watch her spins, especially. Good spins are actually harder to perform than jumps. She has a ways to go before the rest of her skating is on a level with doing quad jumps.
She's not slow, she has been breaking high score records in just about every competition she's been in. She is the best in the world right now and will be legendary, maybe the best there's ever been.

Why do you think she won’t be able to do quads at 20, btw? She’ll be even better at them then. Many of the men doing them are closer to 30 than 20. It’s harder to learn to do them at 20, but if you learn how young they ability isn’t going to be lost. At 15 she could have another three Olympics in her.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-08-2022 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-08-2022, 01:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why do you think she won’t be able to do quads at 20, btw? She’ll be even better at them then. Many of the men doing them are closer to 30 than 20. It’s harder to learn to do them at 20, but if you learn how young they ability isn’t going to be lost. At 15 she could have another three Olympics in her.
Puberty. In sports like figure skating and artistic gymnastics, girls get a ‘golden year’ between the adult growth spurt and Getting Hips and someone in that 14-16 age band has a strength-weight ratio they won’t be able to match at age 20. And trying to postpone puberty involves a highly restrictive diet that decreases bone density and really significantly increases the risk of bad injury.

There are exceptions to the rule like Simone Biles who have longer careers of domination but Kamilla’s jumping technique relies on having that kind of 15 year old’s body and not the raw power of a Simone Biles flip and every month that goes by will get harder for her to ‘keep her jumps’.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:28 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Unfortunately that's pretty much the only thing she has going for her.
Years ago I loved watching the figure skaters but at some point I felt it was all about the jumps and NOTHING else. Style, grace, whatever...nothing mattered; the crowd was just waiting for the next jump. First doubles, then triples, then quads--skaters falling more often--and it got to where I just didn't enjoy watching it anymore.

I always preferred the Winter Olympics but I haven't really been interested in one (not just skating) for many years.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Years ago I loved watching the figure skaters but at some point I felt it was all about the jumps and NOTHING else. Style, grace, whatever...nothing mattered; the crowd was just waiting for the next jump. First doubles, then triples, then quads--skaters falling more often--and it got to where I just didn't enjoy watching it anymore.

I always preferred the Winter Olympics but I haven't really been interested in one (not just skating) for many years.
Don't forget the inimitable Surya Bonaly, backflipping her way through her routines. And landing on one skate! In this compilation, you can see her do the splits on the ice too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNCpsAZYZI

Old 02-08-2022, 07:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
I think the Chinese are going to end up with more gold medals than any other country there. Only because they got something to prove. First they had the Wuhan virus on their agenda. Then they'll erase it due to the Olympics. More gold medals means China is a country to be reckon with and they care about the welfare of the people. This is China's way of saying to the world, they care about the little things in life. Even if that means winning the Olympics.

I'm not watching and not really even keeping up with the results, partly because of how greedy and political IOC has become and partly because China is hosting it. And athletes seeking to preach their social values.

The winter Olympics has absolutely no business being held in Beijing. It's the first one with 100% artificial snow. It's only there for political payola reasons. And I will never trust anything that China says and does, starting with the games being fair. We've had numerous complaints from foreign athletes about substandard housing and food.

I don't trust that rules will be enforced evenly. Look at all the skiers complaining about being disqualified for their clothing too loose when it has never been a problem before.

I don't trust that these covid tests are accurate. Let's see how many top contenders from US and EU versus China get taken out of competition by a positive result.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:51 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,190,448 times
NBC coverage sucks. I've seen more commercials than athletes tonight.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

I don't trust that rules will be enforced evenly. Look at all the skiers complaining about being disqualified for their clothing too loose when it has never been a problem before.
It actually is something of a common happening in ski jumping, especially on the women's side where it's a newer discipline and they're still tweaking the uniform rules more. I ended up watching a bunch fo the sport a few years back and it seemed like every event would have 2-3 DQs for uniform rules violations.

The very questionable short track speedskating DQs of two favored South Korean skaters that allowed two lower ranked Chinese skaters to advance to the final and medal are a lot more sus, even in he chaotic world of short track. The Koreans are appealing and it to the Court of Arbitration in Sport will be interesting to see what CAS says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events