Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 09:27 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

I understand the reasons for political and diplomatic boycott, but it also hurts the sportlers who worked very hard to compete. For some this is the last Olympic in their career - they would never get another chance at Olympic competition.They shouldn't be punished.

The IOC should probably never consider China application for the winter games in
a first place, but they try to remain "neutral" on all global political issues which is hard, if not even impossible.
So, their attitude is: the games must go on, and we are trying to bring the world together.
Will the boycott make a big difference? Probably not. China is now #1 economy in the world, and there are better ways to punish China than boycott the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 01:23 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,166 times
I think the Chinese are going to end up with more gold medals than any other country there. Only because they got something to prove. First they had the Wuhan virus on their agenda. Then they'll erase it due to the Olympics. More gold medals means China is a country to be reckon with and they care about the welfare of the people. This is China's way of saying to the world, they care about the little things in life. Even if that means winning the Olympics.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:25 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Will you watch this year? As much as any other year?
Does it being held in China change anything?
Or Covid, or human rights?
I will watch little to none and can't understand why we are even participating. Just curious what everyone else is thinking.
I'm going to pull out an old Don Imus line on this one.

"I wouldn't watch that game if it were being played right over there!" (pointing to the other side of the room)

Old 02-06-2022, 02:40 AM

422 posts, read 335,952 times
Since we cut cable, we are streaming it. This way, I can see my favs…..CURLING….and avoid the more commentated stuff.

However, I admit, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski comments on Ice skating are my guilty pleasure.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:59 AM

520 posts, read 730,810 times
I've been watching alot, because I've always really liked the Olympics. You get to see alot of sports that you don't usually get to see, and I like watching the women athletes more during the Olympics because I don't usually watch any women's sports. I'm no fan of the Chinese communist government, but I'm not watching it for where it's at. I'm rooting for the US athletes and some other countries athletes as well. I also hate the whole cancel culture stuff, so I'm not gonna boycott something I like just because of something else I don't like.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:44 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
We watched years ago......no more.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:54 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Probably not, but it has nothing really to do with the fact that it is held in China; for context, I physically traveled to the Summer Olympics in Beijing back in 2008. Rather, I generally find the Winter Olympics to be not very interesting.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:03 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
I watch the figure skating portion as I do all the time in the winter Olympics. I think it would’ve been very unfair to the athletes not to participate.

It seems a little disingenuous for fans to boycott the Olympics while we’re all still buying goods made in China anyway. No one is hurting China if they don’t watch the Olympics on TV, only the American companies that are advertising during the events televised here.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-06-2022 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-06-2022, 08:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
The olympics were much better before they started allowing professionals in. Who cares about watching a bunch of pros competing?

Old 02-06-2022, 09:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

The IOC should probably never consider China application for the winter games in
a first place, but they try to remain "neutral" on all global political issues which is hard, if not even impossible.
The IOC kind of shot themselves in the foot. Oslo had been the favorite to get 2022 but information leaked out about the demands of the IOC for things like special road lanes for only IOC vehicles (not athlete buses and such) and special food and hotel requirements for the IOC delegation and there was enough of a backlash from Norwegian citizens that the bid was pulled.

So they were left with Kazakhstan (currently having extreme civil unrest) and China and the IOC just went with the dictatorship they knew could get venues built in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events