Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 11:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 930,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Yup. Apparently it doesn't taste bad when deathly-overloaded with product, otherwise he would have spit out the first sip. The article claims he took one sip then downed the rest.
You guys should try the caffeine powder. It is so gross and strong tasting that when I was taking it I couldnt believe that this product is in soda/coffee and it doesnt make it taste horrid. I guess that enough other flavor can counter it but you arent going to do that accidentally. You are going to taste how disgusting it is and then adjust the reciple to try to cover the taste. To accomplish what this guy SUPPOSEDLY did, he could only have done it in a shot and I dont think he could have kept it down without vomiting.

The caffeine powder was cheap and my wife gave me a hard time for using it even though I would complain about how gross it was. But still, I went through it and from then on just bought caffeine pills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 12:04 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,751,273 times
It's so easy to mix up mg and mcg, I've done it myself and needed to ask Alexa to be sure, those different amounts should be changed not to look so much alike, imo.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
It's so easy to mix up mg and mcg, I've done it myself and needed to ask Alexa to be sure, those different amounts should be changed not to look so much alike, imo.
He did not mix up mg and mcg. The directions were in milligrams, but since his scale only measured in grams, he went with that instead.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:37 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times
Quote:
LOL. That's not a good comparison though. You drank that much over a course of 9 hours because you enjoyed the taste. The guy in question drank more than that in a couple of gulps, and not because he found pleasure in the taste.

Besides, who knows what else might have been in your foreign coffee packages. Did that country they came from have an FDA? LOL. Hmmmmm. Great story though.

Consider drinking several alcoholic drinks over the course of a day compared to drinking the same amount in a couple of minutes. Doing the former might get you sick. Doing the latter might get you... dead. Who's fault is that?
I think the coffee mix (packets) was from Singapore, but it was so long ago, early 2000's. It was so delicious I still remember the flavor though . I think that the personal trainer underestimated the power of caffeine so he wasn't careful with measuring out the powder mixture. He drank the equivalent of 200 cups of coffee at one sitting. I don't think this would be the fault of the company - nothing wrong with the product if used properly and in this case, it was user error, a horrible tragedy, but it wasn't the company's fault. I still can't believe I drank that many cups of coffee. We are careful crossing streets, looking both ways, with cleaning solutions reading the directions and warnings, over-the counter meds, but sometimes we underestimate the power of things. This was a time when energy drinks were just coming onto the market I think and we didn't read of deaths from consuming them, only later we heard about young people dropping dead of heart attacks because they drank too many. Nothing wrong with products, just the way they were used.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:38 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times
Quote:
LOL. That's not a good comparison though. You drank that much over a course of 9 hours because you enjoyed the taste. The guy in question drank more than that in a couple of gulps, and not because he found pleasure in the taste.

Besides, who knows what else might have been in your foreign coffee packages. Did that country they came from have an FDA? LOL. Hmmmmm. Great story though.

Consider drinking several alcoholic drinks over the course of a day compared to drinking the same amount in a couple of minutes. Doing the former might get you sick. Doing the latter might get you... dead. Who's fault is that?
I tried to rep you but I must have done it recently because it wouldn't allow me to. Thank you Javacoffee!

Old 03-10-2022, 01:17 PM

133 posts, read 173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
I think everyone has felt heart palpitations from too much caffeine. Image 200 cups of coffee. Sounds very painful.
I had an exam one morning after working over 12-6am on the air.
I drank a pot of coffee and two Jolt colas.
Never did that again. I thought I was gonna die in class the following morning.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:23 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I tried to rep you but I must have done it recently because it wouldn't allow me to. Thank you Javacoffee!
Thanks! The same thing happens to me all the time.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:23 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,751,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
He did not mix up mg and mcg. The directions were in milligrams, but since his scale only measured in grams, he went with that instead.
I realized the mistake he made, I was commenting on a mistake I made because his terrible story reminded me of it. I wish they would fix the mg and mcg to different abbreviations less similar to avoid errors, especially for the older folks who don't see as well anymore.

Last edited by wp169; 03-10-2022 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 07:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I realized the mistake he made, I was commenting on a mistake I made because his terrible story reminded me of it. I wish they would fix the mg and mcg to different abbreviations less similar to avoid errors, especially for the older folks who don't see as well anymore.
Can't improve the SI prefixes much since they are integral to the decimal prefix-symbol system of modern SI metric. I would have to blame the backwardness of the United States on this and the fact that metric is not taught early in elementary school (instead/in addition to the English system). It's a travesty that memory has to be dedicated for the F/C and Metric/Customary toggle in an iPhone, despite the up-to-date tech-obsessed demographic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

mcg is usually rendered as µg (as the sole Greek letter exception), but as we saw with the Greek letter hurricane names, the poorly educated American adult population needed to be catered for.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:01 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
mcg is usually rendered as µg (as the sole Greek letter exception), but as we saw with the Greek letter hurricane names, the poorly educated American adult population needed to be catered for.
If you want to call us poorly educated because of other reasons I would probably agree with you. Just don't call us poorly educated because we use a system that is different to the metric system, that's akin to calling Europeans uneducated because they aren't familiar with the Imperial system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events