Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 12:54 PM

5,467 posts, read 5,740,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Part of good labeling is it needs to be kind of intuitive. People using the product on their own should, in general, be able to figure it out reasonably correctly.

That this drink mix is to be dispersed 1/8 teaspoon into a glass of water, is not intuitive. And when the result is death for those who mix it at an approximate ratio that you mix other powdered drinks, this product needs to be taken off the market or changed to add filler into the straight caffeine. So a person could put two tablespoons in a glass of water and it's good.

This man died over a year ago, and this product is unchanged on their website.
There are plenty of products out there that will absolutely get you killed if you simply put "reasonable" amounts. Pure cinnamon comes to mind. In a supplement world you will have to be extremely careful, especially if you're getting stuff in its pure form, often times 20x the recommended daily dose for an average human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 02:50 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,505,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree, but will add that most items that require careful portion measurement usually come with a scoop the size of the portion. Especially if the amount is in metric measurements. I know I don't have anything at home to measure milligrams.
Because you lack a scoop that measures a milligram, you think it's acceptable to guess... and then ingest a tablespoonful? How stupid is that? Honestly, I can't believe what you just wrote.

The directions were clearly marked. He ignored them.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,418,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Because you lack a scoop that measures a milligram, you think it's acceptable to guess... and then ingest a tablespoonful? How stupid is that? Honestly, I can't believe what you just wrote.

The directions were clearly marked. He ignored them.
Yep I have read this whole thread and I can't believe there are people who find it ok that there is a product on the market that will kill you if you take a little bit more than a little bit. A few mg is tiny, and a teaspoon is still tiny.

Back in college I used supplements and everything was a scoop or two. Everything. If I had a few tubs of supplements and one was "if you take a scoop you die" while all others were "two scoops or more", I'd throw out the scoop=death one. And I can't fathom that the CPSC or tort lawyers are ok with this.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:11 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 14 days ago)

16,120 posts, read 21,267,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Isnt this why we have the DEA? Do they not impose VERY tight restrictions on 'dangerous drugs'?

Try going to a pharmacy and buying certain drugs (without a prescription)!! Why should caffeine be any different? does popularity make that much of a difference? Besides prescription drugs, pharmacies also put many 'dangerous OTC drugs' behind the pharmacy counter, (for public safety)...again, why not do the same with caffeine?
I would like to make you aware that when we toss a lot of our OTC meds they cannot go in the trash, they go in a special bin for disposal because these OTC drugs are legally considered 'toxic', especially true of many OTC painkillers including children's Tylenol for instance. So no the DEA doesn't restrict access to products because they might be dangerous if you overdose.
OTOH if caffeine pills or powder suddenly become a popular item for people to purposely abuse in search of a high, or if it becomes popular as a high theft item, look for it to go into the pharmacy for security reasons too.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:41 PM

35,839 posts, read 18,164,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Yep I have read this whole thread and I can't believe there are people who find it ok that there is a product on the market that will kill you if you take a little bit more than a little bit. A few mg is tiny, and a teaspoon is still tiny.

Back in college I used supplements and everything was a scoop or two. Everything. If I had a few tubs of supplements and one was "if you take a scoop you die" while all others were "two scoops or more", I'd throw out the scoop=death one. And I can't fathom that the CPSC or tort lawyers are ok with this.
I truly can't either. This is really unconscionable. I can somehow see the death of this man over a year ago, due to extreme carelessness and short-sightedness of the company and manufacturers.

What I can't imagine is, after they KNEW this happened, this product is still on the market as is, albeit I guess with a scoop. What happens if you don't even realize what that scoop thing is, which would appear to be some sort of a . . . maybe stirrer? Picturing a scoop with the bowl being 1/8 tsp, you'd think it was an item to help seal the bag or something.

Take this poison off the market already.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:58 PM

My head is spinning here, from the math. This link shows that 5 grams of dry weight baking soda is 1.13 tsp, which would weigh the same as powdered caffeine. Or close enough. He ingested 5 grams of powdered caffeine, which the OP article states is 200 cups of coffee.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5+gr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

In this article, it states that 1 tsp of powdered caffeine is one serving. This info is all over the map.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caf...affeine-powder

And this article states 1 tsp of caffeine powder is equal to 50-75 cups.

https://www.livescience.com/52072-po...dangerous.html

Old 03-07-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I would like to make you aware that when we toss a lot of our OTC meds they cannot go in the trash, they go in a special bin for disposal because these OTC drugs are legally considered 'toxic', especially true of many OTC painkillers including children's Tylenol for instance. So no the DEA doesn't restrict access to products because they might be dangerous if you overdose.
OTOH if caffeine pills or powder suddenly become a popular item for people to purposely abuse in search of a high, or if it becomes popular as a high theft item, look for it to go into the pharmacy for security reasons too.
It's a loathsome thought. If this nonsense keeps up we'll need a prescription from our doctor just to buy a can of Maxwell House coffee.

People need to start taking some responsibility instead of expecting manufacturers and the government to keep them safe.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
My head is spinning here, from the math. This link shows that 5 grams of dry weight baking soda is 1.13 tsp, which would weigh the same as powdered caffeine. Or close enough. He ingested 5 grams of powdered caffeine, which the OP article states is 200 cups of coffee.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5+gr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

In this article, it states that 1 tsp of powdered caffeine is one serving. This info is all over the map.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caf...affeine-powder

And this article states 1 tsp of caffeine powder is equal to 50-75 cups.

https://www.livescience.com/52072-po...dangerous.html
None of that matters.

What matters is that he ignored the instructions on the can of powder he purchased.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
None of that matters.

What matters is that he ignored the instructions on the can of powder he purchased.
There are a LOT of things that matter here, one of which being apparently there is no clear standard for dosage of pure caffeine.

I know you want to blame the consumer here for some reason, but consumers are usually afforded a LOT of protections from products that are very easy to misunderstand or accidentally misuse.

And no, to your earlier comment. No one will need a prescription for consumer grade coffee grounds. Because everyone knows how to use them, or can figure it out close enough to not kill you.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,079,306 times
Quote:
There are a LOT of things that matter here, one of which being apparently there is no clear standard for dosage of pure caffeine.
Which is why it is important to read the instructions and understand what you're taking instead of just winging it. I would never expect any medicine or supplement to have one standard dosage. I always read the instructions for anything new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events