Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 09:42 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

Ugh, what a horrible feeling when your body starts to lose control and you die convulsing. It's good the company decided to put proper measuring scoops in the containers.

Also, this is NOT a Darwin nominee. The victim didn't intend to ingest so much caffeine; it was more of a careless error that an intentional act.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pers...-coffee-2022-3

Quote:
A personal trainer died from an overdose after accidentally ingesting a powder with caffeine levels equivalent to up to 200 cups of coffee, an inquest heard, per reports.
Personal trainer, 29, started 'frothing at the mouth' and died after accidentally making himself caffeine powder drink that was equivalent to 200 cups of coffee, inquest hears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PGzY0OJyQY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 12:05 AM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
That is absolutely horrific. With a supplement that powerful it's crazy that there was no measuring scoop. Poor guy, so young and he had kids, too.

Old 03-06-2022, 04:28 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ugh, what a horrible feeling when your body starts to lose control and you die convulsing. It's good the company decided to put proper measuring scoops in the containers.

Also, this is NOT a Darwin nominee. The victim didn't intend to ingest so much caffeine; it was more of a careless error that an intentional act.
It definitely is not. Those math errors are easy to make, and they creep in even when you work in a field involving doing those kinds of calculations. The culprit was the company who didn't provide a measuring utensil. Gosh, with death as a possible consequence if you measure it wrong you would have thought it would have been blindingly obvious to make sure that their product come with something to measure it with (converting milligrams to oz--yeah, it's not too difficult to get your zeros mixed up with that. And with his scale starting at 2g I'm sure he figured he did the calculations right). I'm wondering if this wasn't the first time this has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's good the company decided to put proper measuring scoops in the containers
I see it as negligence that they did not at first.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:22 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
It definitely is not. Those math errors are easy to make, and they creep in even when you work in a field involving doing those kinds of calculations. The culprit was the company who didn't provide a measuring utensil. Gosh, with death as a possible consequence if you measure it wrong you would have thought it would have been blindingly obvious to make sure that their product come with something to measure it with (converting milligrams to oz--yeah, it's not too difficult to get your zeros mixed up with that. And with his scale starting at 2g I'm sure he figured he did the calculations right). I'm wondering if this wasn't the first time this has happened.

I see it as negligence that they did not at first.
I'd like to know what instructions/warnings were on the container. Because, as tragic as this story is, if the label was clear as day and gave adequate warning, I wouldn't put any blame on the company as folks aren't just supposed to put something into their mouths without an understanding of what it is.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
The instructions on the label seem clear to me.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:57 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,487,302 times
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...est-hears.html
Quote:
The recommended serving of the powder 60 to 300mg twice a day - but Mr Mansfield's digital scale had a starting weight of 2g.
The inquest heard Mr Mansfield was 'likely aiming for a mid range serving' but instead drank up to 5g of the powder.
He confused mg and grams. 60mg = .06g and 300mg = .3g. He took 5000mg, instead of .5g. So sad.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:15 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
It was an accident. I don't blame the company. Energy drinks are well known for causing heart problems.

I would like to see the actual physical amount. They measure in weight... mg, but I would like to see that in a volumetric measure like 1/4 teaspoon or whatever. How easy is it to end up with an overdose? It's like taking pills. I'm always amazed that one tiny pill can make my body feel good or bad depending on the purpose of the medication.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,948,343 times
I clicked on the link, and it stated he ingested ".2 ounces of caffeine powder".

That can't be right. By my calculations, that's less than 2 teaspoons.

No one would make a caffeine drink powder where if you ingest about 1.25 teaspoons of it you'll die. Anyone just "winging it" making that drink would use that much powder at least, especially if you don't have any way to weigh it in metric.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-06-2022 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-06-2022, 01:02 PM

609 posts, read 349,489 times
I think everyone has felt heart palpitations from too much caffeine. Image 200 cups of coffee. Sounds very painful.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:15 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
300 mg equals 1/8 of a teaspoon. That's a real small amount of powder to make the maximum dose, so somewhat understandable how such an accident could occur.

Sad news, but...a young guy in good shape shouldn't feel the need to be taking any caffeine before working out, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events