Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 02:56 PM

88,794 posts, read 85,207,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Enjoyed your post.
I enjoyed her post, too, but was not surprised. Sounds like NYC to me.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:14 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,624,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I enjoyed her post, too, but was not surprised. Sounds like NYC to me.
After all the ranting posts about all our big cities nationwide being crapola from some posters, it is very refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 07:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,264,713 times
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-only/3610446/

This has a bit more information and an update.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:59 PM

103 posts, read 57,566 times
How awful. This woman basically had a big fat temper tantrum like a spoiled child because she was told a park was closing soon. So she throws her food at her fiancee, screams at the park worker, and then proceeds to push that poor elderly woman to her death. That's exactly how her neighbors and former classmates described her as aggressive, mean, argumentative, bullying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/n...tern-bail.html

Old 05-10-2022, 05:08 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,621,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'm not saying this has anything to do with being a 'rude New Yorker' either, I'm more disagreeing with the notion that there's some massive gap between folks from NYC and the NJ or Long Island-born children of the folks who left NYC for the suburbs. It's all kind of a shared culture in the same Metro which stands out to people from elsewhere. If a guy moves from Brooklyn to Long Island he doesn't become a different guy, and his kids will get a healthy dose of "New York" in their upbringing and since most of their classmates in school will be in a similar boat their upbringing probably isn't that different from what it would have been in the city.

And again - unrelated to whether this has anything to do with this incident - I think "rude New Yorker" is just short hand for the phenomenon observed by people from other parts of the country that folks in the NY/NJ area are less patient, less agreeable and more inclined to be confrontational as a way of obtaining desired results than people elsewhere. Having done business with people from all over the place, I'd say there's a certain truth to that being a tendency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Probably good. Her family likely does have city connections.

The point was that it's not necessary to make assumptions based on idiotic stereotypes.

I grew up closer to NYC than she did, except I was in New Jersey, about 30 miles NW of the city (but not Italian and with no NYC roots whatsoever--my ancestors came straight to NJ from England and the Netherlands), and then I worked in NYC for about 40 years.

Most New Yorkers are not rude, although the fast pace and direct way of speaking might make some timid outsiders from slower areas think so, and the stereotype is used in movies and on TV. To imply that it's just everyday NY behavior to shove someone to the ground is moronic and should have no place in a conversation about a heinous crime like this.
I am not timid but I experienced the "rudeness" particularly when in the subway traveling on the trains. I practically got mowed over when going through the turnstile and when eight weeks pregnant the crush of the crowd against me standing on the train lifted me from the floor. No one seemed concerned in the least. Very frightening. When I was on the train in Philadelphia, people offered me a seat. I'd say it's a deserved stereotype. Having said that, I love NYC!

Old 05-10-2022, 06:17 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,164,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I am not timid but I experienced the "rudeness" particularly when in the subway traveling on the trains. I practically got mowed over when going through the turnstile and when eight weeks pregnant the crush of the crowd against me standing on the train lifted me from the floor. No one seemed concerned in the least. Very frightening. When I was on the train in Philadelphia, people offered me a seat. I'd say it's a deserved stereotype. Having said that, I love NYC!
Seriously? Lets be factual here. NOBODY is showing at 8 weeks. Your fetus was less than 1 inch long and weighs less than 1/8 of an ounce.
And really, you are comparing the EI to The MTA?

Old 05-10-2022, 08:46 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,621,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Seriously? Lets be factual here. NOBODY is showing at 8 weeks. Your fetus was less than 1 inch long and weighs less than 1/8 of an ounce.
And really, you are comparing the EI to The MTA?
My mistake, I was eight months pregnant. I am comparing attitudes!

Old 05-11-2022, 03:57 PM
KCZ

4,690 posts, read 3,702,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynghost View Post
How awful. This woman basically had a big fat temper tantrum like a spoiled child because she was told a park was closing soon. So she throws her food at her fiancee, screams at the park worker, and then proceeds to push that poor elderly woman to her death. That's exactly how her neighbors and former classmates described her as aggressive, mean, argumentative, bullying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/n...tern-bail.html

I hope for his sake that the fiance has decided to become an ex-fiance.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:11 PM

103 posts, read 57,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I hope for his sake that the fiance has decided to become an ex-fiance.
Hard to imagine he saw anything in her in the first place. Who wants to be with such an angry bruiser?

Old 05-16-2022, 08:37 AM

88,794 posts, read 85,207,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Sorry that happened to you, although I have seen people offer a pregnant woman a seat on the train in NYC. Often during rush hour, which it sounds as if it had to be when you were on the train if there were that many other riders, people zone into their own little worlds. No one probably even noticed you. I think it's a protective device to keep people from focusing on the fact that they are in an underground tunnel and squashed into a big can on wheels with a lot of other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events