Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 09:34 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm sticking with my rude New Yorker theory, this was supported when I learned that she grew up privileged. She is used to getting her way and the old lady was an inconvenience at a time when she was upset.
Of course there is the old stereotype of the "rude New Yorker", but don't you types usually apply that to people from New York City? She grew up in Port Jefferson, a small, historical shipbuilding town on the North Shore of Long Island, population less than 8,000. It's about fifty miles from Manhattan.

She currently lives in Astoria, a traditionally Greek neighborhood, now kind of trendy, but in Queens, an outer borough, not in "the city".

Yes, it sounds as if she grew up privileged for sure, but just saying, if your goal is to slam people from New York City, you missed the mark here. She's a small-town girl.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:38 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That would be weird, though. The attacker lived in Astoria, which is in Queens. The attack happened in Chelsea, a neighborhood in Manhattan. "Oh there's my neighbor, what a coincidence, let me go get her". Sounds unlikely.
Probably, not real familiar with NYC only been once and will never again due to crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 11:21 AM

6,805 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:
Of course there is the old stereotype of the "rude New Yorker", but don't you types usually apply that to people from New York City? She grew up in Port Jefferson, a small, historical shipbuilding town on the North Shore of Long Island, population less than 8,000. It's about fifty miles from Manhattan.

She currently lives in Astoria, a traditionally Greek neighborhood, now kind of trendy, but in Queens, an outer borough, not in "the city".

Yes, it sounds as if she grew up privileged for sure, but just saying, if your goal is to slam people from New York City, you missed the mark here. She's a small-town girl.

New York's influence radiates beyond city limits. I mean some people would say you can feel it in West Palm Beach, so obviously Long Island isn't exactly beyond its reach.

I mean her family is in the construction sector, they're Italian-American. What are the odds that if we looked at her family history, we could trace back roots to Brooklyn, Queens or even Manhattan in the not so distant past?

Old 03-24-2022, 11:25 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
New York's influence radiates beyond city limits. I mean some people would say you can feel it in West Palm Beach, so obviously Long Island isn't exactly beyond its reach.

I mean her family is in the construction sector, they're Italian-American. What are the odds that if we looked at her family history, we could trace back roots to Brooklyn, Queens or even Manhattan in the not so distant past?
So because someone has family that lives in NYC they can now fit into a "rude New Yorker" category? I am not really sure by your meaning behind New York having influence beyond its city limits. Any land area is going to have people that have moved out of it into another land area. Has that move given land area A influence over land area B?

Old 03-24-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Probably good. Her family likely does have city connections.

The point was that it's not necessary to make assumptions based on idiotic stereotypes.

I grew up closer to NYC than she did, except I was in New Jersey, about 30 miles NW of the city (but not Italian and with no NYC roots whatsoever--my ancestors came straight to NJ from England and the Netherlands), and then I worked in NYC for about 40 years.

Most New Yorkers are not rude, although the fast pace and direct way of speaking might make some timid outsiders from slower areas think so, and the stereotype is used in movies and on TV. To imply that it's just everyday NY behavior to shove someone to the ground is moronic and should have no place in a conversation about a heinous crime like this.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:21 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:

The point was that it's not necessary to make assumptions based on idiotic stereotypes.

I grew up closer to NYC than she did, except I was in New Jersey, about 30 miles NW of the city (but not Italian and with no NYC roots whatsoever--my ancestors came straight to NJ from England and the Netherlands), and then I worked in NYC for about 40 years.

Most New Yorkers are not rude, although the fast pace and direct way of speaking might make some timid outsiders from slower areas think so, and the stereotype is used in movies and on TV. To imply that it's just everyday NY behavior to shove someone to the ground is moronic and should have no place in a conversation about a heinous crime like this.

I'm not saying this has anything to do with being a 'rude New Yorker' either, I'm more disagreeing with the notion that there's some massive gap between folks from NYC and the NJ or Long Island-born children of the folks who left NYC for the suburbs. It's all kind of a shared culture in the same Metro which stands out to people from elsewhere. If a guy moves from Brooklyn to Long Island he doesn't become a different guy, and his kids will get a healthy dose of "New York" in their upbringing and since most of their classmates in school will be in a similar boat their upbringing probably isn't that different from what it would have been in the city.

And again - unrelated to whether this has anything to do with this incident - I think "rude New Yorker" is just short hand for the phenomenon observed by people from other parts of the country that folks in the NY/NJ area are less patient, less agreeable and more inclined to be confrontational as a way of obtaining desired results than people elsewhere. Having done business with people from all over the place, I'd say there's a certain truth to that being a tendency.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying this has anything to do with being a 'rude New Yorker' either, I'm more disagreeing with the notion that there's some massive gap between folks from NYC and the NJ or Long Island-born children of the folks who left NYC for the suburbs. It's all kind of a shared culture in the same Metro which stands out to people from elsewhere. If a guy moves from Brooklyn to Long Island he doesn't become a different guy, and his kids will get a healthy dose of "New York" in their upbringing and since most of their classmates in school will be in a similar boat their upbringing probably isn't that different from what it would have been in the city.

And again - unrelated to whether this has anything to do with this incident - I think "rude New Yorker" is just short hand for the phenomenon observed by people from other parts of the country that folks in the NY/NJ area are less patient, less agreeable and more inclined to be confrontational as a way of obtaining desired results than people elsewhere. Having done business with people from all over the place, I'd say there's a certain truth to that being a tendency.

Ok. While I don't think most of us would use your chosen adjectives to describe ourselves, lol, I can't argue with the basis of what you are trying to say.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:48 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
My niece had always wanted to visit NYC, so one year, she and her best friend went to NYC, and they had a blast. She said everyone she encountered were kind and helpful to them.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Well, we don't know how crowded the street was unless they release video. The city is still nowhere near back to what it was pre-COVID. I just talked to my former (technically current, but I've done no work since August) employer who also lives in Manhattan the other day. He said that while things are still fairly sparse, it's picking up. He estimates another year until things are normal. Just FYI.

I agree that if the victim had merely been knocked down, the attacker would likely have gotten away with it. Now I'm sure the cops will have gotten video from every camera on that street to make their case. And her lawyers will likely come up with a mental illness defense and cut a deal.
Probably. This is how “justice” proceeds in the US.

The streets of downtown Vancouver, WA are very sparsely populated. But if I were walking to my fave vintage store, I know I would not notice anyone walking on the other side of the street. Maybe I would if I were a cop or gangster, but I’m not. It is simply hard for me to imagine a scenario where someone recognizes another in an urban setting, with cars around, crosses the street and deliberately pushes someone down hard enough to cause her death. However, I’m not saying it could not, or did not happen that way. I am skeptical, that’s all.

I assume they have the accused on tape, crossing the street. And if the accused did what is said she did, whatever the motive, she deserves jail, IMO.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:38 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:

You make a good point about here not being from the city although I do think that behavior translates when she goes into the city, it's just the way it is in NYC. My brother lived there, I know the place. I don't consider a deli owner yelling at customers "a direct way of speaking". I see that as rude and so do most people who do not live in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events