Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 09:11 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
You are right. It was in the video I posted. I don't know wth the other dude was mentioned either. It sounded like the attorney was saying the floyed video was worse than the 14 year old video. Seriously? The dad needs to cut this a hole loose.

It looks like that is exactly what the attorney said in the you tube video you posted that I linked to.

The video at the link below is saying the only ride like it is at Dollywood, they use seat belts in addition to the harness and that that ride also tilts the seat but that the seats do not get tilted at Dollywood for some reason.

The mothers attorney is white, the fathers attorney, Crump is African American. Crump made a comment about the George Floyd video being a tragic torture video and that the boy falling on video is the worst video other than the Floyd one.

Honestly, I'm not surprised he did that. I just googled him because I've never heard of him. His website says he is a nationally recognized trial lawyer and that he is leading George Floyds family legal team.

Attorneys for family of teen who died in fall visit site of Orlando thrill ride

Quote:
According to a news release, Crump was hired by Sampson’s father, Yarnell Sampson. Hilliard was hired by Sampson’s mother, Nekia Dodd. Both attorneys said in statements that they intend to work together to get answers for the grieving family.

Crump visited the site and reiterated Sampson’s death was “completely preventable.”

Other than George Floyd’s tragic torture video, I think this is the worst tragedy captured on video that I’ve ever seen,” he said

Yesterday I mentioned there were around 30 seats on the ride. I found a better video (linked below) that shows there are 8 seats per side, times 4 sides equals 32 seats total.

Attorneys for family of teen who died in fall visit site of Orlando thrill ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yep, I agree. Not the time to link any sort of racial and police controversy with this tragic accident.

I agree but that's who the father hired, the head of George Floyds team who is for sure going to keep bringing it up to keep that case fresh in everyone's mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Thanks! I don't watch the videos because I don't keep the sound on my laptop so as to not bother others. I suppose I could turn closed captioning on but I don't know if youtube has this function. Added: I don't like video because I can usually read the text in a quarter of the time it takes to watch a video.

I normally don't have sound on my computer so I understand. I got this computer when my MIL died from breast cancer. The speakers never worked until recently, then they stopped working. I had ear buds for it but sucked them into the vacuum beater bar the other day rushing to vac the house before real estate pictures. Thankfully I had an external USB sound device from when I used to build computers back in the early 2000's which has given me sound with an old headset.

You tube doesn't have closed captioning.

I googled, just found a few articles that I'll paste in below. I didn't have time to do that yesterday. Easier to remember what the attorneys said when it's in print lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It was in the video. I believe it was the OP's video in his first post, but can't remember.

It's in the video I linked, I just found it mentioned in articles.

The article below is lengthy, copying only the parts I haven't seen mentioned anywhere except that video above. So far it's the best article with the most information.

Seats of Orlando thrill ride where teen fatally fell were adjusted to fit larger patrons, attorney says

Quote:
An attorney representing the mother of a 14-year-old boy who fatally fell from the Orlando FreeFall attraction told reporters Tuesday several seats on the ride had been previously adjusted to fit larger patrons.

“It looks like they have some seats that they directed people to that were bigger,” Michael Haggard said.

...taking up to 30 guests high into the air before dropping them 400 feet at about 75 mph.

Haggard did not specify why the seats were adjusted or when they had been adjusted, but he told News 6 investigator Merris Badcock Sampson had sat in one of the adjusted seats the night he fell from the ride and died.

Famed civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who represents the teen’s father, visited the site and reiterated Sampson’s death was “completely preventable.”

“Other than George Floyd’s tragic torture video, I think this is the worst tragedy captured on video that I’ve ever seen,” he said.

“Funtime was here for many months. We believe they finally left in February, while it was being operated,” Haggard said. “I think they probably saw some problems that were going on with the ride before they left, before this happened to Tyre.”

Completely preventable’: Attorney visits Orlando thrill ride where teen fell to his death

Quote:
Crump did not say what his investigators found during their brief inspection. They spent about two hours checking out the ride, focusing their attention on the seats as they tried to figure out what led to the teen’s fatal fall.

New video shows Crump’s investigators going seat by seat, taking measurements.

On Monday, inspectors for the state were looking at the ride’s seats, measuring them and using diagrams to recreate the incident.

The state had hired a team of forensic engineers and failure analysts to conduct the inspection.

The accident report reveals the ride did not malfunction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 04:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

snip snip snip

You tube doesn't have closed captioning.

h

Sure it does. Just not available on all videos. But the cc is on the bottom there, hover over it to find out if it's available for that video.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:40 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
I apologize. It wasn't the father, it was one of the attorney's (Crump) who brought George Floyd into the conversation. It's at the 3.10 mark of this video.

I don't see any reason to overshadow this horrible tragedy with racism, cops and thugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQKZ4cqi9HA

Last edited by Javacoffee; 04-07-2022 at 05:55 AM..

Old 04-07-2022, 07:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
The same attorney probably also wants to sue the park for attendants keeping him off the other two rides, which was obviously "racial discrimination."

Last edited by otterhere; 04-07-2022 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-07-2022, 08:08 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The same attorney probably also wants to sue the park for attendants keeping him off the other two rides, which was obviously racial discrimination.
The comment is irrelevant.

The issue here is whether the park, its employees, and/or the manufacturer of the ride are responsible for this death. Most of us here think one or more are responsible.

Ben Crump is not my favorite person in the world, but this family has the right to choose its legal representation. I see no indication that Crump is focusing on anything other than the issues I've just described.

Someone is going to pay big for what happened and that is only right in this situation.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The comment is irrelevant.

The issue here is whether the park, its employees, and/or the manufacturer of the ride are responsible for this death. Most of us here think one or more are responsible.

Ben Crump is not my favorite person in the world, but this family has the right to choose its legal representation. I see no indication that Crump is focusing on anything other than the issues I've just described.

Someone is going to pay big for what happened and that is only right in this situation.
It was just weird to even bring that up to begin with. The two have nothing to do with each other. And worst thing he has ever seen on video? Is he forgetting all of that ISIS nonsense from just a few years back?

Anyway… It will be hard to sue the park — the park merely leases the space. It doesn’t function in the same way Disney or Universal do.

The manufacturer will be a tough one too, as they have this same ride in several other locations around the world, and when operated as instructed, appears safe. It passed all state inspections here too, for that matter.

The ride owner is the likely one to have to dish out the cash. They are fully responsible for operating the ride per the manuals provided to them, and they failed. Latest reports say this kid was 380 pounds. That’s 100 pounds over the limit. One doesn’t even need a scale to see that the child was WAY too big to fit in the restraint system.

It’s one of those things that the engineering world reinforces over and over: Write it down, keep record of it. Once it is signed off, the responsibility falls on the owner to ensure instructions are followed. Security measures were clearly bypassed here, and that falls on the owner and operator of the ride.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:15 AM

1,651 posts, read 865,483 times
Quote:
It was just weird to even bring that up to begin with. The two have nothing to do with each other. And worst thing he has ever seen on video? Is he forgetting all of that ISIS nonsense from just a few years back?

Anyway… It will be hard to sue the park — the park merely leases the space. It doesn’t function in the same way Disney or Universal do.

The manufacturer will be a tough one too, as they have this same ride in several other locations around the world, and when operated as instructed, appears safe. It passed all state inspections here too, for that matter.

The ride owner is the likely one to have to dish out the cash. They are fully responsible for operating the ride per the manuals provided to them, and they failed. Latest reports say this kid was 380 pounds. That’s 100 pounds over the limit. One doesn’t even need a scale to see that the child was WAY too big to fit in the restraint system.

It’s one of those things that the engineering world reinforces over and over: Write it down, keep record of it. Once it is signed off, the responsibility falls on the owner to ensure instructions are followed. Security measures were clearly bypassed here, and that falls on the owner and operator of the ride.
Looking at past cases and depending upon indemnification agreements, I can see all parties having to contribute to the final settlement. If it goes to a jury trial, which is very unlikely it's plausible as you stated the ride operator would be found primarily at fault. Can also see some ways a clever attorney along with an engineer can get the jury to lay some blame on the manufacture and other parties as well. All parties likely carry insurance. As such it will be up to the insurance carrier legal teams to decide settlement offer. Having worked for a liability insurance carrier in the past, I can tell you they will be looking to get this one settled immediately so long as the plaintiffs are reasonable in their demands. As a collective there is probably at least 30 million in coverage. Not saying they are going pay 30 million but getting it to go away for 2 - 4 million will seem reasonable.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:32 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
It was just weird to even bring that up to begin with. The two have nothing to do with each other. And worst thing he has ever seen on video? Is he forgetting all of that ISIS nonsense from just a few years back?.
Crump is a career opportunist a la Al Sharpton. He's looking for any and all press he can get. I'll be curious if he mentions Trayvon Martin as he represented the family in that wrongful death case. Last I heard Zimmerman was suing him, but that case POOF vanished from the press. I wonder if it was settled out of court.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:59 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Crump is a career opportunist a la Al Sharpton. He's looking for any and all press he can get. I'll be curious if he mentions Trayvon Martin as he represented the family in that wrongful death case. Last I heard Zimmerman was suing him, but that case POOF vanished from the press. I wonder if it was settled out of court.
Which again really has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:00 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I apologize. It wasn't the father, it was one of the attorney's (Crump) who brought George Floyd into the conversation. It's at the 3.10 mark of this video.

I don't see any reason to overshadow this horrible tragedy with racism, cops and thugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQKZ4cqi9HA
He really didn’t though. The quote in context was him saying George Floyd video was second most awful video he’s seen after this one, that this one was worse than that. He’s not comparing the boy to Floyd in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events