Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 05:29 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,401,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, I'm serious. Of course I remember Nancy Reagan (who wasn't taken all that seriously in my community), but I was thinking of a Reefer Madness level of hysteria when I made that particular comment. I recall a few people losing jobs and did not claim that it didn't happen. But no, I don't recall any claims that it was worse than any other drugs and that using it just once would turn a person into a raving maniac occurring in the 90s, which is what I was actually referring to.
Well that poster was obviously over the top with his description of the anti-weed propaganda. But there was most definitely a change in weed acceptance in that time period of the '80's and 90's. The example Snazzy provided is a good example, that is a tragedy and a direct result of the idiotic ways of that era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 08:46 AM
KCZ

4,664 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I used to work with a guy who twisted his ankle on the job. It was a possible workmen's comp issue, so he was sent to the company's doctor. They did a drug test, as they do ALL possible workmen's comp issues, found he had pot in his system, and lost his job.

The day after he got fired, he killed himself.
Unfortunately, pot users have a higher rate of suicidal thoughts, plans, and attempts than non-users. It's not clear whether that's because suicidal people use pot to self-medicate, or whether the pot is contributing to or causing the suicidal ideation, but it's probably the former.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...hts-of-suicide

Old 04-27-2022, 10:34 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Are you serious? You don't remember Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign which kicked off a total change in views on marijuana? It turned casual weed smokers (it was called pot then) into people who were made to feel as if they were exhibiting deviant behavior. People would hide this info from their neighbors and co-workers, it was taboo to be a weed smoker back then. People lost jobs that did not including driving or operating machinery because they failed a random drug screen because they got high on a camping trip weeks earlier and were never impaired at work. It was all total madness.
Yes. Before that, from the 70's to the very early 80's, there were stores even in the mall that sold pot paraphernalia, coke spoons, etc. Usually in the Chinese store in the malls, walk behind the beaded curtain. There was one on a major road near me called High Times that had a pot leaf on its' sign. All disappeared shortly thereafter.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:35 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Unfortunately, pot users have a higher rate of suicidal thoughts, plans, and attempts than non-users. It's not clear whether that's because suicidal people use pot to self-medicate, or whether the pot is contributing to or causing the suicidal ideation, but it's probably the former.

This particular guy WAS going through a divorce from a wife who had been cheating on him. He was a nice guy, but he had a lot on his mind.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:36 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:

Hmmm. That's interesting. I guess I'm asleep when mine kicks in (take it for sleep and it works!).

Old 04-27-2022, 10:39 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:

Well, PTSD has been one of the more commonly approved diagnoses for medicinal use for many years now, so I'm not sure how that might skew stats. And there is a school of thought that people with certain mental illnesses shouldn't use it.

I would think this would prove true across the board with many substances, though:

Approximately 22 percent of deaths by suicide involved alcohol intoxication, with a blood-alcohol content at or above the legal limit (CDC, 2014b);

https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/defau...sma16-4935.pdf

Old 04-27-2022, 12:06 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes. Before that, from the 70's to the very early 80's, there were stores even in the mall that sold pot paraphernalia, coke spoons, etc. Usually in the Chinese store in the malls, walk behind the beaded curtain. There was one on a major road near me called High Times that had a pot leaf on its' sign. All disappeared shortly thereafter.
Yes, on the other end of the same state, we had Joint Venture in the Bergen Mall. They also sold turquoise jewelry. Very 70s.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:13 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
I remember head shops in the 70's. Pipes, water hookahs, black light posters, etc. lol

Old 04-27-2022, 01:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well that poster was obviously over the top with his description of the anti-weed propaganda. But there was most definitely a change in weed acceptance in that time period of the '80's and 90's. The example Snazzy provided is a good example, that is a tragedy and a direct result of the idiotic ways of that era.
Yeah, I didn't say there wasn't. Again, I was responding to specific claims made by a specific poster, which I have made more than clear, so kindly find someone else to badger. I'm not interested in arguing about something I didn't even say. As far as the suicide, there are usually deeper issues involved, and by Snazzy's own admission, the guy had a lot going on emotionally. There usually is.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-27-2022 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-27-2022, 04:49 PM

453 posts, read 301,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh Geez, we have got to past this outdated belief that Marijuana is pure evil!

Many people do not recognize the damage done, by the many many years of drilling it into us, that Marijuana is BAD, evil, etc! They warned us in our high school DARE classes that Marijuana was the most deadly and dangerous drug out there (worse than heroin or cocaine even), they warned just using it one time could cause insanity, killing rampages, going out of our minds!! (and this was the early 1990s!)

I still remember our DARE instructors giving many examples of people that are now crazy or in prison, thanks to Marijuana, (just like they do today with opioids) LOL

This is 2022 now, (not 1422)
Can't you read?

PEOPLE WERE SICK.

AND IT'S ILLEGAL.

I can't and WON'T be around it.

I'd suggest you grow up and stop hyperbolizing about the past which is irrelevent.

So you are saying they did nothing wrong?

YES OR NO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events