Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 06:49 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

This whole thing is one of my biggest fears if we legalize drugs in this state -- having someone think it's OK to put it in something they serve to others. We have random testing. I could lose my job, my career, my pension. All because someone thinks it's cute. Even if you sued them, they'd never have enough money to make up for the damage it could do to someone's career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 07:37 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times
New sign at the Georgia border heading south:
Welcome to Floriduh, the Dumbshine State.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
What I am shocked at is that a caterer endorsed it. Not sure if that person is professional or not but if so her career is ruined obviously (beyond the legal trouble she is in). Edible cannabis is particularly strong to even regular tokers.
l
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This whole thing is one of my biggest fears if we legalize drugs in this state -- having someone think it's OK to put it in something they serve to others. We have random testing. I could lose my job, my career, my pension. All because someone thinks it's cute. Even if you sued them, they'd never have enough money to make up for the damage it could do to someone's career.
In what state? Medical Marijuana is legal in Florida.

But legal marijuana is not the point. Your statement is irrelevant. Lacing food with drugs is illegal everywhere, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not to consume in the state. Marijuana doesn't have legs that walk into a dish, a person has to do it. Is "illegal" marjiuana, obviously readily available everywhere, less likely to find it's way into food?

Old 04-23-2022, 08:37 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:

This isnt about legal or illegal drugs, it’s about people contaminating food with a drug at a wedding reception banquet.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:44 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
I keep thinking what if this incident wasn't uncovered and made the news? Someone who went to party--regardless of whether they had an adverse reaction to the drugs or not--and later was subjected to (and failed) a random drug test would have a very hard time proving their innocence. This is a big reason why I hope the book is thrown at the bride and the caterer.

I work for the feds. Regardless of the status of marijuana at the state legal, it remains illegal at the federal level, so popping positive for week will still get me fired.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:35 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What I am shocked at is that a caterer endorsed it. Not sure if that person is professional or not but if so her career is ruined obviously (beyond the legal trouble she is in). Edible cannabis is particularly strong to even regular tokers.
l

In what state? Medical Marijuana is legal in Florida.

But legal marijuana is not the point. Your statement is irrelevant. Lacing food with drugs is illegal everywhere, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not to consume in the state. Marijuana doesn't have legs that walk into a dish, a person has to do it. Is "illegal" marjiuana, obviously readily available everywhere, less likely to find it's way into food?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
This isnt about legal or illegal drugs, it’s about people contaminating food with a drug at a wedding reception banquet.
I know what it's about. It's about people are already dumb enough to lace food with it when it's illegal. If made legal that level of dumbness will spread because even more people will think "what's the harm." Even had one poster up front who didn't think this was a big deal.

There are many people out there who can lose their jobs if they test positive. How do you prove someone laced your food?

Old 04-23-2022, 10:02 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
I know what it's about. It's about people are already dumb enough to lace food with it when it's illegal. If made legal that level of dumbness will spread because even more people will think "what's the harm." Even had one poster up front who didn't think this was a big deal.

There are many people out there who can lose their jobs if they test positive. How do you prove someone laced your food?

You can't prove it except in a case like this, where many people were affected, you and they sought medical attention, and the perps were caught. Otherwise, it's just your word vs a positive drug test and your employer's no-tolerance policy.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
It's about people are already dumb enough to lace food with it when it's illegal. If made legal that level of dumbness will spread because even more people will think "what's the harm." Even had one poster up front who didn't think this was a big deal.
I don't follow you. How does "the level of dumbness" spread when it's legal vs. illegal? Even in legal states there are laws regarding private sales, shipping, and distribution that go even beyond the obvious illegality of lacing food. Do you have any support for your premise that lacing food is more common in states with legalized marijuana?

Old 04-23-2022, 10:18 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Even if marijuana use is legal, that doesn't make it legal to give it to someone without their knowledge and consent. The same way that it's not legal to slip laxatives in their brownies.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:18 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:

I don't see the connection between the two. No one is going to think, "Hey, weed is legal! I can spike their food without their knowledge and won't get in trouble." Besides, the two geniuses in this story did it anyway. Some people are just morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events