Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 09:52 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
According to this report, because of the long term shortage of pilots, the airlines are recruiting foreign pilots (which sends chills up my spine)
Why would qualified pilots from another country be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 09:55 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I feel safe enough with the actual plane and with the pilots who are doing the flying. The other passengers on the plane, on the other hand, can be crazy and dangerous and they are losing what little self-control they used to be able to manage for the length of a flight.

Over-crowding, bumped flights, long lines, crazy entitled passengers and drunks.... yes, a good time to stay away from the airlines unless there is no other option.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:00 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
......... the airlines are recruiting foreign pilots (which sends chills up my spine) ........

All commercial pilots on South America have been trained in the USA and they all speak clear enough English to communicate properly with the air traffic control towers. It doesn't bother me at all to have them flying a plane I am on.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:06 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I encounter more 'obnoxious idiots' on any given day on the freeway than I've ever encountered on any of the countless flights I've taken.

Not the same issue. In an airplane you can't get away from the obnoxious idiots. You are stuck for hours with their noise, smells, obnoxiousness, whatever they care to dish out. On the freeway you aren't exposed to any of that and you can take the next exit off.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
the airlines are recruiting foreign pilots (which sends chills up my spine)...
The Airlines? You think the commercial airline industry is limited to America? Newsflash - "foreign" airlines operate in the US. on international routes with foreign flight crews. What do you do when you want to fly to another country? Call up the airline and ask them if they are using an American flight crew?

Old 04-24-2022, 10:38 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I feel safe enough with the actual plane and with the pilots who are doing the flying. The other passengers on the plane, on the other hand, can be crazy and dangerous and they are losing what little self-control they used to be able to manage for the length of a flight.

Over-crowding, bumped flights, long lines, crazy entitled passengers and drunks.... yes, a good time to stay away from the airlines unless there is no other option.
Honestly, that's my hesitancy for flying right now. It's not safety or pilot skill, it's being trapped in a tin can with the kind of people who would get in a fist fight if they don't get enough ice in their ginger ale.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:59 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
New pilots? Every one of them had his first flight with passengers at some time during his career.. Every brain surgeon had his first day of cutting into a live human brain. And so forth.

You've never really "flown" until you teach a teen-ager how to drive at fifty-five on a curvy gravel road.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:11 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Not the same issue. In an airplane you can't get away from the obnoxious idiots. You are stuck for hours with their noise, smells, obnoxiousness, whatever they care to dish out. On the freeway you aren't exposed to any of that and you can take the next exit off.

On the freeway they are much more dangerous to me as they're handling a 4,000-5,000 lbs deadly weapon at high speed.

On your typical flight you're just dealing with other members of the general public, some of whom are rude, some of whom are loud, some of whom are smelly, but most of whom are really just normal people.

But of course the reason we tolerate the idiots on the freeway is because we need those freeways to drive to work or to other obligations or even leisure and family activities, and taking surface roads isn't much of a fix given that you're still exposed to idiots and the whole thing just takes a lot longer.

And the same thing applies to flying. We fly because it's the fastest and in some cases only practicable way to get to destinations we need or want to be at. If you never want to be anywhere else or anywhere you want to be is within a 250 miles of where you are then of course there's no need to pay good money for an airplane ticket and to deal with the hassles of flying.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:56 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Forget about the "Pilots It Training". Just stay far away from Mike Tyson!

Haven't flown since 2017, and hope to never fly again, unless you want to give me a ticket back to Hawaii.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:57 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
I'll agree with the others who haven't seen any bad behaviors while flying. It's just normal people. Most are business people, some going on vacation. And I certainly trust the pilots and the airlines.

I guess it's just people watching that handful of videos that have gone viral and assuming most flights are like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events