Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 03:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Pilot shortage.

Reduced fleets.

Soaring jet fuel prices.

Soaring ticket prices.

Not the time to take a vacation, yet I hear that people are flocking back to airlines in droves. I'm sitting this one out.
Maybe people should just vacation at home... and enjoy the houses they worked their butts off to pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 03:22 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I heard on the news yesterday that the US is 13,000 short of needed number of pilots.
And pilot training schools only turn out half that number.
So, the report say, airlines are using "pilots-in-training".

I'd take the train..
~~~~

"U.S. airlines hope to add 13,000 pilots just this year, but America produces only between 5,000 and 7,000 pilots annually, according to United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby. With fewer pilots, supply will be limited and ticket prices will continue to climb with demand.

"Mark Stinson is in flight school in Florida and still at least a year away from being qualified to join an airline, but the 31-year-old already has two job offers with regional airlines. Stinson says despite not having earned his commercial pilots license, one airline has offered to allow him to accrue vacation time the moment he signs a contract.

"The airlines are so hungry that they are taking just about anyone into these programs, and after pilots build enough hours they are applying directly into the majors," Stinson says referring to the nation's largest airlines. "Two of our instructors got hired directly with Spirit Airlines and will be going to training here shortly. They only have about 2 years' experience. It's insane. They will be airbus pilots in no time."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/airl...ry?id=84176369
I was recruited for my first job out of college b/4 I was done with college and licensed (not a pilot)

I didn't start working until I was licensed.

you seem confused on terms.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Maybe people should just vacation at home... and enjoy the houses they worked their butts off to pay for.
'Staying home' and paying off a 2% mortgage, vs 'getting away' and flying?

I'll choose to perpetually fly (as able).

I really don't care if my house is ever paid off, it is a liability, not an asset.

Just a place to lay my pillow, when occasionally home. Unfortunately, it is assessed at 10x what it cost me to build it. Good for tax man, but pinches my travel budget. Property taxes are far more $$$ than any house payment I have ever had. (A sign of the times coming soon to many (unaware) USA home owners. Better to rent and travel internationally, forever Good and 'affordable' healthcare overseas too.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:52 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Watch out for the Darien Gap. Just watched a documentary on that....

Hope you make it OK. We're right next door, lol.

My uncle actually DID drive from the U.S. to Peru but that was in the 60s. He must have ferried part of it but I can't ask him now....
Thank you. I was in your neck of the woods for about 3 months Nov till Feb. I thought about heading over to Peru then, but, I really needed to get back to the US before heading out again.

Your uncle is remarkable, I couldn't imagine doing such a drive any time in my life. I do expect I will look like Popeye after I finish rowing to Peru though.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:53 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Ha, anytime! And I would be more than happy to help you row to beautiful Peru! Lucky you, have fun!

Thank you!

Old 04-27-2022, 08:14 PM

689 posts, read 638,386 times
One might also consider the possibility of planes flying with only one pilot, with additional functions being handled by computer or from the ground. I think it would take a long time to sell this to the public, but it could be feasible.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...nes/index.html

Old 04-28-2022, 10:01 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
What are you talking about? My brothers high school friend is a pilot for American and is making almost 400k a year
I just pulled an article from 2010, which is around when I was making that decision, and it indicated as follows:

Quote:
Major airlines fly large passenger aircraft between major hubs, both domestic and international. These carriers employ pilots with upward of 5,000 hours of total flight time. Although these carriers pay more on average than the regionals, regional airline captains often take a pay cut to move into a major airline FO position. According to The Wall Street Journal, the average starting salary at major airlines was $36,283 per year, while the average top airline captain annual salary was $165,278 as of June 2009.

https://careertrend.com/the-average-...-13654413.html
I just couldn't fathom paying so much for flight school just to make $30k-$40k and top out in the mid $100k territory. That said, if pilots are making $400k now that's great. Do you know if that applies to people with <10-15 years of experience? Everything I read and heard back then was that you'd have to live for a decade making poverty wages in order to finally start making what 25 year olds in accounting/law/finance make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events