Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 09:36 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I wouldn't necessarily consider Southwest "low budget", at least not now, many of their ticket prices are higher than United, Delta and American!

For me, low budget is Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, Sun Country and Breeze.

The main difference in clientele between Southwest and the carriers would be that the carriers will have a bigger % of business and international travelers, but the impact of that would vary depending on route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 08:25 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Wonder what train I should take on my next overseas trip...
Thanks for, literally, making me spit my tea out..
I'm heading to Peru in June, guess I just get myself a rowing boat. : )

Old 04-27-2022, 06:16 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,805 times
Sardine can seating, charges to use overhead bins (if space was even available), paying for all checked baggage, obnoxious, smelly passengers, etc., etc. Yeah, I stopped flying when I retired. Now it's lots of leisurely road trips around our beautiful country.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:30 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,512 times
I wanted to be a pilot when I was younger but found out how little money they make so chose a different career. Too bad, I think I would have really enjoyed it, although I still can't figure out how they're able to have families.

The pilot shortage is no surprise to me- have to imagine a lot of people are running the same analysis and coming out with the same answer.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:47 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Ha, anytime! And I would be more than happy to help you row to beautiful Peru! Lucky you, have fun!

Old 04-27-2022, 09:54 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Stop flying low budget carriers and you won't have an issue. We fly United exclusively now after numerous problems with SW. We've never had an issue.
I’d like to see statistics that back up that claim. It seems nothing more than an assumption. The majority of passengers haven’t personally experienced incidents regardless what airline they fly.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:30 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Watch out for the Darien Gap. Just watched a documentary on that....

Hope you make it OK. We're right next door, lol.

My uncle actually DID drive from the U.S. to Peru but that was in the 60s. He must have ferried part of it but I can't ask him now....

Old 04-27-2022, 11:05 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Watch out for the Darien Gap. Just watched a documentary on that....

Hope you make it OK. We're right next door, lol.

My uncle actually DID drive from the U.S. to Peru but that was in the 60s. He must have ferried part of it but I can't ask him now....
Your uncle had to have had his car shipped across Dariens Gap. That place is pretty cool but also dangerous. Not everyone makes it out alive!

Old 04-27-2022, 11:21 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I wanted to be a pilot when I was younger but found out how little money they make so chose a different career. Too bad, I think I would have really enjoyed it, although I still can't figure out how they're able to have families.

The pilot shortage is no surprise to me- have to imagine a lot of people are running the same analysis and coming out with the same answer.
What are you talking about? My brothers high school friend is a pilot for American and is making almost 400k a year

Old 04-27-2022, 02:42 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,873,638 times
Sardine can seating, charges to use overhead bins (if space was even available), paying for all checked baggage, obnoxious, smelly passengers, etc., etc.

To each his own, sorry you see it that way. Only the lowest of low budget airlines charge for overhead. Several airlines now allow free baggage. Smelly obnoxious people are increasing everywhere - but at a slower rate on airplanes.
Sardine cans? Can't argue with that - but - mainly, if that's an issue - for domestic (USA) travel, upgrading to business class is hardly a deal breaker. Anyway - lots of legit reasons to NOT fly if ya feel that way - but no reason to dramatize the trivial reasons.

Regarding the OP - Look - everyone flies a plane with passengers "for the first time" sooner or later. It could be the plane I'm on right now. We'd all like to think of our pilots as "highly experienced" but - realistically - that is just not likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events