Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 08:27 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Unbelievable! Am I missing something here? Eleven days on the run. Three (?) vehicles & they only made it 217 miles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Yeah, more like 650+ miles.
According to MapQuest, Evansville, Indiana is 282 +/- miles from Lauderdale. Not sure if this link will work -

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/...y-al-282933451

For some reason, they did not stray far from I-65. They were lucky not to get caught sooner.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 05-09-2022 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 08:32 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Not too smart to lay low in an Indiana hotel. Not sure what their long-term plan was or even if they had one. They likely would have been caught sooner if there had not been a mix-up with the car she bought.
Incredibly dumb. They couldn't have bought a vehicle they could both sleep in? It wouldn't have had to be anything expensive. How could they have thought, they could move into a motel, and not be recognized, knowing they were all over the news? That's just strange. Maybe they wanted to be caught? Maybe they both had subconscious self-destructive tendencies.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:32 PM

24,612 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Boy, that was dumb. If they'd just lived off the land in the woods of TN, they'd have made it.
If it was that easy, every criminal fugitive would do it. (The ones who did do it were already knowledgeable outdoorsmen/survivalist.

A good article on:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/eric-f...ry?id=25677257

Old 05-09-2022, 08:35 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
OMG. Hormones triumphed over neurons again, even for him (obviously for her, but that's not even debatable). That hotel room just got too cozy.
I think you have something there...

Old 05-09-2022, 08:38 PM

24,612 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Incredibly dumb. They couldn't have bought a vehicle they could both sleep in? It wouldn't have had to be anything expensive. How could they have thought, they could move into a motel, and not be recognized, knowing they were all over the news? That's just strange. Maybe they wanted to be caught? Maybe they both had subconscious self-destructive tendencies.
It makes perfect sense.

Neither was an accomplished outdoorsmen or survivalist.

Some folks just don’t have the knowledge and discipline it takes to live off the grid. They need their WiFi, internet, fast food, air conditioning, stove, microwave, comfy bed, and refrigerator.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:42 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,487,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
You have to hand over your car keys, if you want more than a regular car wash. Sorry, I should have linked the youtube I saw it on. I think it was NewsNation, but not sure.
Okay, I guess Casey just stole the Cadillac with the keys that were left there when the Caddy owner went in for a car wash?

Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If it was that easy, every criminal fugitive would do it. (The ones who did do it were already knowledgeable outdoorsmen/survivalist.
Exactly. Special Forces military commandos are highly trained survivalists, and that’s why they can adapt to nearly any environment. Put an on the run fugitive without any outdoors knowledge or skills in a remote environment unprepared, and they could be dead in a week.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It makes perfect sense.

Neither was an accomplished outdoorsmen or survivalist.

Some folks just don’t have the knowledge and discipline it takes to live off the grid. They need their WiFi, internet, fast food, air conditioning, stove, microwave, comfy bed, and refrigerator.
Casey reportedly grew up hunting and fishing; doesn't take much "survivalism" to survive in an RV or old cabin. But maybe she didn't like roughing it and insisted on a hotel room!

Old 05-09-2022, 09:26 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Probably just stupid. Remember what George Carlin said: “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Old 05-09-2022, 10:05 PM

631 posts, read 288,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Unbelievable! Am I missing something here? Eleven days on the run. Three (?) vehicles & they only made it 217 miles?

And she shoots herself? Was she afraid of becoming an inmate like the probably thousands of inmates she's interacted with over her career? She wouldn't have even been there for very long. She couldn't take what she'd been dishing out? Ugh! Oh whatever, lol I don't know why this annoys me so much

I wonder if she slowed him down. He's probably regretting keeping her around for so long. Now he's going back to prison but this time; without his Sugar Mom.
Admit it -- you're just mad that it didn't end in CO.

On a more somber note, though, it does seem like she didn't conceive this into a long-term plan. She might have been realistic enough to know that the odds were hopelessly stacked against them.

As far as not being able to take what she herself dished at one time, it's incredibly humiliating to be a prisoner, never mind a notorious, nationally known one. She would have had to face the music from everyone she once worked with, plus the collective contempt and hatred of the majority of the American public. Years and years of televised ridicule and hate mail, every minute of those years spent in solitary confinement in shackles due to both her notoriety and her knowledge of how jails are run, to culminate in destitute old age, punctuated, of course, by further supervision from parole.

I can see her opting out of that as a rational act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events