Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 09:10 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That poster may have been talking about another case. I did a search and did not see that this case was resolved.

That's your opinion. I agree that he was walking towards him in a seemingly threatening manner, but I don't feel it gives the shooter the right to escalate the situation by pulling a gun and immediately shooting. I see no law that permits the use of a firearm against an unarmed man walking in your directions. For all we know, the shooter may have verbally threatened the meat head. I don't know what exchanges were made or if any threats were made. I'm assuming you don't either.

I am a responsible gun owner and I would NEVER behave like that with a gun. Never ever would I pull a gun on someone walking at me unarmed because I have a good idea just how awful prison is.

A gun is not a toy. There are basic rules that responsible gun owners follow. One of which is a gun should be used as a last resort. The shooter used his firearm as a first resort to settle a perceived threat that may have been real or not.
Neither would I. That shooter didn't even flinch when the other guy took a step towards him. A reasonable person would have IF they feared for their life.

I noticed also that the shooter was the only person in the parking lot wearing an overcoat. I think he wore it to conceal his weapon, which was loaded and ready for battle against an unarmed man.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:11 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Judge who set bail for the shooter (Nikki Brown) has been ousted due to "lack of confidence".

https://www.waxahachietx.com/story/n...ce/9708479002/

So, Brown came out immediately to challenge these guys parking in his spot. Makes you wonder where his car is parked at the time.

If he felt threatened, simply backing up while saying "stop or I shoot" would suffice. The gunshot has caused major damage to the other man's internals. Brown should definitely be spending some time in jail.
Maybe a family member was out and about -expecting to have their spot available when they got back?

Old 05-19-2022, 09:11 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Judge who set bail for the shooter (Nikki Brown) has been ousted due to "lack of confidence".

https://www.waxahachietx.com/story/n...ce/9708479002/

So, Brown came out immediately to challenge these guys parking in his spot. Makes you wonder where his car is parked at the time.

If he felt threatened, simply backing up while saying "stop or I shoot" would suffice. The gunshot has caused major damage to the other man's internals. Brown should definitely be spending some time in jail.
That's got to be more than a little awkward as neighbors but I'd have to think that the shooter is being evicted from his apartment immediately as most places have an clauses involving arrest etc. that are "immediate evictions". This however may vary by state and locality, I just am going off what happened to the people that stole packages from their neighbors at my friends apt. complex.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:40 AM

238 posts, read 171,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not sure "he had it coming". But it took me a couple takes to process the scene - there were two big, muscular men (Shane and his friend) and the parking spot owner is that thin figure in the foreground, dressed kind of oddly in a black cape type coat.

I think you could make the case that the shooter felt very threatened, as the two approached, yelling at him.

Prayers that Shane fully recovers - I would be interested, though, to know what the couple of other run ins were with this same neighbor, and it looks like there were other places empty for the truck to park - why in that same neighbor's spot?
Yes I think shooter can make a case that he was threatened. I'm not saying the shooter did the right thing. I'm sure we all agree that it is absolutely morally wrong to shoot someone over silly stuff. However from Texas SYD and firearms law perspective, it seems he acted legally.

It goes without saying I'm not well versed with Texas laws, just like many of us here. Good discussion anyway.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:41 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My understanding was, that he didn't. He parked in his own spot, but his friend who was following him, took the empty spot. Which means, the (former) chronic violator of the neighbor's assigned spot failed to tell his friend with the truck, that he would have to find other parking, or simply idle in the lot while dropping someone off, or whatever it was he needed to do.

The resident of the complex should have explained when the two set out in their vehicles for the apartment complex, that the truck could not be parked in any neighbor's open parking space. Or when they arrived, he should have explained that, and told him to pull out of the spot. If the truck was only dropping someone off, there was no need for him to take up a parking spot, anyway. The whole incident didn't need to happen.

It makes me wonder, if the resident deliberately neglected to tell his friend not to take up a parking spot, because he had a running feud with his neighbor whose spot it was.
They did it deliberately because it was convenient at the time, and per the article it sounds like he had a habit of doing this. When neighbor approached about the car being in his spot, they should have moved it, not told him to "chill". I am certainly not defending the shooting though, and I don't think people here are doing that.

This case reminds me of the neighbor who had a feud with his other neighbors and ended up shooting them because they shoveled snow out of their spots and put the snow in his driveway. There was a video of it, with the couple who ended up being shot cursing a blue streak at neighbor when he complained about what they were doing. It wasn't just about the snow, it was the final straw after years of feuding and harrassing the neighbor who shot them (then shot himself).

Old 05-19-2022, 09:42 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe a family member was out and about -expecting to have their spot available when they got back?
I used to set my alarm for 1am or so to get a street spot for my car when I was expecting company in the summer, so my company could have my spot.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:51 AM

238 posts, read 171,987 times
Quote:
I don't think it's this simple. I had Licence To Carry in Texas. No longer valid since every Texan can now carry without permit. I learned from LTC class that you will most likely go to jail for brandishing your weapon. You have better chance if you actually shoot due to SYG law.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:04 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We don't really know, per Shane's wife, whether that was formally designated parking space or a de facto one; a lot of smaller complexes seem to just let the tenants work it out. I do wonder where the shooter's own vehicle was.

If he felt threatened by the (very slowly) approaching men, there was plenty of time to pull out the gun but not pull the trigger.
I think this is where I stand. I don't think he "shot them over a parking space," although I think that is what initially triggered the confrontation. I think he shot the guy because he was approaching him, and he is a big guy (bodybuilder).

But as you said, IMO, the issue was that he fired right away. He could have pulled out without firing and it's likely the guy would have retreated.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:24 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
They've already had issues in the past over this. Why continue to antagonize the guy??? The muscle guy is an idiot and should have never walked towards him. He had it coming.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:48 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I can see brandishing in this situation but not an immediate shot. Trench guy is gonna go some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events