Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 10:10 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times

Advertisements

This story made me wonder about which charities/causes are good to donate to to help kids like this...

They fall through the cracks b/c CPS wants to keep families united (ultimately) so they often get returned to biological parents who go back to abusing them. Then they cannot get away until they run away or apply for emancipation.

Few news stories get to me (I am desensitized) but this bothered me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 10:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
This story made me wonder about which charities/causes are good to donate to to help kids like this...

They fall through the cracks b/c CPS wants to keep families united (ultimately) so they often get returned to biological parents who go back to abusing them. Then they cannot get away until they run away or apply for emancipation.

Few news stories get to me (I am desensitized) but this bothered me.

Do you realize this child was seized from his biological parents, and placed with these abusers? This was a case where CPS removed him from his bioparents and allowed strangers to adopt him.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:52 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Hope this guy get's thrown in the slammer for a very, very long time and is not allowed to care for kids, or even a dog/cat, when he gets out. He is an abuser and cannot be trusted.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:25 AM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Noodling around on facebook, it becomes kind of obvious how this might have slipped through observer's notice.

The dad's facebook page is still out there.

Most of these kids are adopted from the foster care system, this boy included. In the group family photo, all the kids are grinning ear to ear, and this one looks - totally believably - to have some kind of physical/cognitive disability. Looking at that photo and knowing the family history, abuse isn't obvious unless you saw it in their home.

They got him in May of 2020.

One other child appears to have a disability but looks healthy and is smiling.
I think it's publicly thought that disability is something always noticed or seen, but in reality many disabilities are invincible to others, more so in a photo. Most people with a type of disability have a mild form and may look as if the person is faking it because they look fine, especially if the learnt to cope and compensate. For many people with a disability, if they don't tell you, then you will never know. Take as an example someone that is deaf from one ear.Well, they can still hear from the other one and while you need two functioning ears to know things such as someone calling you outide and to instantly know where it comes from, for 99% of the time hearing with one ear may seem as if the person hears from both to others that are unaware he has this disability.

For example, lets say something happened to you and you're left with an inability to walk in a straight line and could easily lose your balance. A person like that can use a cane for walking without meandering from side to side, as a support when bouts of loosing balance hits which may not be often, and as further supportwhen you have extra weight such as carrying a garbage bag to the garbage bin. That person doesn't need the cane as support to get up and while his walking may not be what is used to be before the onset of the problem, he doesn't need the cane to help him walk (he needs it for walking straight, not for walking per say.) When the person is walking without the cane, others looking at him may think he walks fine and if they never knew him before the onset of the problem, his mild meandering from side to side could be interpreted as his unique walk, not that it's a response to feeling mildly dizzy and attempts to prevent falling. Outside looking in he seems normal, yet from his perspective he continue to feel the dizzyness and unsteady nature of walking since he has the mild disability.He also feels more secure when using the cane as it gives him extra support. To others it may seem that everytime he uses the cane, he is faking it. That would be a perfect example of a mild dissability that lends itself for others to not see it and assume he must be normal in 100% of the cases (walk and feel steady like them, etc). Basically, they aren't in his shoes.

In the case of abuse from a parent, the abusive parent could lie about him to others making them believe he is perfectly fine and uses the cane to fool others in thinking he isn't fine and/or to get special treatment in public as many people tend to be more helpful when seeing others udi g things like a cane, a walking, wheelchairs, etc (not always by the way). The lying about the child's disability could be another form of abuse since it affects his credibility for others. This may be especially common if the abusive parent is who caused the disability in the first place (for example, long term elevated stress level from the psychological abuse lead to chronic high blood pressure which over the long term resulted in a stroke at a very young age to strike, leading to the disability as one of the lasting effects.)

Coming back to the abused child and his brothers, they may seem normal to others and especially in a photowhich is nothing more than freezing a second, but seeming completely normal and being completely normal are two different things.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:38 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Remember the adult half brother who was "house sitting"?

From 5/19
Ethan Washburn, the eldest of the couple's children - though he does not share a last name with Tyler Schindley - was at the family home on Tuesday.

He told Fox5 that he had no connection to the ongoing case: 'I'm not too close to the situation right now, I’m just watching the house. I don’t really have any comment,' he said, before confirming the couple are his parents.

From 6/13
Well, Ethan Washburn, 20, was arrested and accused of choking his half-brother and charged with aggravated assault and aggravated assault by strangulation.

In the meantime:
Washburn's biological mother, Krista Schindley, and stepfather, Tyler Schindley, were arrested in mid-May and are being held without bail in Spalding County Jail on charges of attempted murder, false imprisonment and cruelty to children.

The 10 y.o. boy is now reported to be in stable condition.

Follow up on that story:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/half-brot...g-begging-food

Old 06-13-2023, 08:25 PM

1,049 posts, read 569,420 times
Some people really do not deserve to be parents.

I wish the child will be only going to be healthy and well-cared for. And to recover the trauma in whichever way that hurts the least.

I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter in 2009, I read the news about a little girl who was kept in the dark with only bottle-fed, covered in her own filth, couldn’t talk and walk (she was 7 when she was found by the police and social worker.)-I was sobbing uncontrollably, I couldn’t understand people could do such things to a child and she never had the chance to grow up “normally”.

Her name is Dani, google Feral Child Dani, I guarantee you’ll vow to protect all children in the world. It’s been 14 yrs since I read about her, I still followed up on her online just to see if she’s doing well.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:22 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
It's cases like this when I think about "eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth." I hope their house is sold and all the funds put into trust for that poor child. It won't happen, but I can still hope.

Triangulation and "othering" is very common in abusive dysfunctional families. My sibling and I have talked about how I was deemed the bad child and treated as such, but we've also talked about how all the dysfunction negatively affected him as well. It's been at least partially healing for both of us all these years later.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:53 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Apparently the 10 yr old was not the only child to be abused. The ex wife's son ran away...and maybe another of her sons as well. I was a little unclear if it was one or two of her kids.

Oh...I remember now. One of her kids ran away, and another of her kids was sent to her. The Tindleys called her and said "you need to go to the airport and pick so and so up." They had kicked the kid out.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:09 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
How can a 10 year old boy only weigh 36 pounds? That's about the weight of a 3 or 4 year old boy.

It's chilling to think what the adults in that home did to that innocent child. Now that the 20 year old has been arrested, maybe some of the truth of what was going on will start coming to the surface.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:21 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I got a few but they would violate the TOS.
Me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events