Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 13,937 times

Advertisements

I have an old Peugot mountain or hybrid bike. Not really sure, but a family friend bought it in Germany before bringing it back to Canada. He gave me the bike and said it needed some repairs but was ready to ride for a little while. Upon getting it, i replaced the inner tubes and got a bit of a tune up done to it. Rode it for 2 years, but last summer I noticed the chain was skipping pretty badly, especially when going up even tiny hills/slopes. At the end of the summer I brought it in and was told I need a new derailleur and that the gear change lines were rusted. It also needs some new tires.

I went today to a bike shop and was told, without them actually seeing the bike, that it would probably cost in total for new tires (50-75 dollars for cheaper ones) a derailleur (20-25 for a lower end one) and new lines (another 25-50) that I would probably be looking at between 150-170, unless of course the bike has any other problems. And Im not sure if they charge for labour although I'd imagine that they would.

Should I pay to fix this bicycle? or should I buy a road bike I found online for around $250 assuming when I see it that it is in good condition. I have become more interested in cycling as a hobby and really like road bikes, even if I cant take them on the light walking trails in my area, I would stick to roads obviously.

Any help from people with more cycling experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,768,274 times
Could you post pictures of the bike? In my opinion, it will depend on how nice the bike is. If it's a very low end Peugeot, it may not be worth spending money on it. If it's a nicer one, it could very well be worth it. Also, older bikes are pretty simple machines. You'll have to spend money either way, but you could potentially spend less by learning to do the repairs yourself. Park Tools' website has a lot of information regarding bike repair and adjustment, as well as Sheldon Brown's website (my personal favorite). Lastly, did you enjoy the bike when it was working properly? If not, it may be a good time to buy a different one.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,219,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuca View Post
I have an old Peugot mountain or hybrid bike. Not really sure, but a family friend bought it in Germany before bringing it back to Canada. He gave me the bike and said it needed some repairs but was ready to ride for a little while. Upon getting it, i replaced the inner tubes and got a bit of a tune up done to it. Rode it for 2 years, but last summer I noticed the chain was skipping pretty badly, especially when going up even tiny hills/slopes. At the end of the summer I brought it in and was told I need a new derailleur and that the gear change lines were rusted. It also needs some new tires.

I went today to a bike shop and was told, without them actually seeing the bike, that it would probably cost in total for new tires (50-75 dollars for cheaper ones) a derailleur (20-25 for a lower end one) and new lines (another 25-50) that I would probably be looking at between 150-170, unless of course the bike has any other problems. And Im not sure if they charge for labour although I'd imagine that they would.

Should I pay to fix this bicycle? or should I buy a road bike I found online for around $250 assuming when I see it that it is in good condition. I have become more interested in cycling as a hobby and really like road bikes, even if I cant take them on the light walking trails in my area, I would stick to roads obviously.

Any help from people with more cycling experience?
If you like the trails, then you might want to think about a hybrid or even a hardtail Mtb. which is what I ride. If you choose to have your peugot gone over, make it's reputable shop and get a list of what's done.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,820,679 times
Hard to say without knowing more about the Peugot but it's obvious to me you've been bitten (or are at least very close to being bitten) by the road bike bug. You want a (new to you) road bike, the desire is oozing off of you and is plain to see (for me anyway). Get the bike bro - make sure it's your size, fit it to you, and have a friggin' blast. Get the bike.

Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,246,513 times
You should be able to fix that for less than 50 bucks if you look at stuff on ebay or CL. Heck, I'd just look for someone giving away old bikes and scavenge the parts. Old lugged bikes are cool.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM

24,591 posts, read 17,335,653 times
I faced the same situation, sort of, last year. My beloved 20+ year old Schwinn mountain bike was showing its age. It was a $400 new when I bought it. Schwinn used to be a good bike not the Walmart specials you see today. I did the math, new tires $120, repairing or replacing the rapid fire Shimano shifting $? It made more sense for me to park the Schwinn and pick up a Hybrid Trek Verve 2 that is easier to ride for the riding I do.
Weigh your options carefully.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,858,925 times
The original post is over a month old but I would keep the bike and convert it to a city/errand/grocery getter single speed bike with fenders and a rack and buy a road bike.

-Cheers.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,234 times
I'd have bought new bikes, are now very cheap.I have got a bike trader. I bought it here: [url]http://bike4you.co.uk[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling