Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times

Advertisements

Lacy, I didn't mean to insult you. I just looked up Ava Gardner's biography. It said she was born in Grabtown. City-data doesn't recognize that town. My teacher only had good things to say about her since she was his wife's first cousin. That biography was not very complimentary. It said she had colorful language that she learned on the farm. I very seriously doubt that. My Mom would have spanked my bottom if I had used bad language and I bet her Mom would have too. I guess Hollywood just sees things differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,415 times
What an exciting week!!!! http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/HappyWednesday-1.gif (broken link) Enjoy your lovely day all!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
NCN no need to apologize. The CofC sent a fantastic package and there's an awful lot of stuff about Ava Gardner in there.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Diana, you eat the best food. Love your food choices. Some of my ancestors were German, so I grew up eating good food like that.
I was thinking the exact same thing (well.. except none of my ancestors were German)!! LOL... in fact, when I was stationed in Italy in '01-'02, one of my friends on the ship had married a German woman. I went to their house to have a meal (a delight for a single Sailor, which I was then). She served the most delicious potato salad I had ever had. She said it was "German Potato Salad" and had mustard and vinegar (I think) instead of mayonnaise (which I hate!!). I never did get the recipe and kick myself now. All the potato salad you get in the States has mayo in it.

Subway BMT sandwich for lunch. *coughfootlongcough*

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
Jeannie,Izzy and all-our realtor just called and we have an offer coming in and the people have never been to our house!!!!!!!!!!! They've viewed it on-line and sent a broker to view it. It's a contingency as they have to sell in AZ.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing (well.. except none of my ancestors were German)!! LOL... in fact, when I was stationed in Italy in '01-'02, one of my friends on the ship had married a German woman. I went to their house to have a meal (a delight for a single Sailor, which I was then). She served the most delicious potato salad I had ever had. She said it was "German Potato Salad" and had mustard and vinegar (I think) instead of mayonnaise (which I hate!!). I never did get the recipe and kick myself now. All the potato salad you get in the States has mayo in it.

Subway BMT sandwich for lunch. *coughfootlongcough*
Steve, I just browsed a German cooking recipe data base and here you have a potatoe salad recipe which you might like:

5-6 potatoes
1 onion
6 table spoons vinegar (preferable wine vinegar)
1 tea spoon mustard
2 table spoons oil
salt and pepper
half a cup hot chicken or veggie broth
a bunch chive
some sugar

If you need more instructions just tell me.

I just had a handful of spaghetti which I tossed in a pan with a tea spoon oil, some very thin slices of zucchini, fried them, than added 1 tabel spoon cream and one table spoon milk, a lot of basil, salt, pepper and half a slice of cheese to melt above it.
Yummie.

Right now I'm sipping a strawberry/banana smoothie.

Oh, I nearly forgot. My colleague brought a monstrous zucchini for me today (that's why some slices for the spaghettis) so I baked a zucchini cake and still have half of this monster in the fridge

Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 AM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Good morning or good afternoon...where is Jeannie? thanks for starting it Diane!

My internet connection has a problem,the tech support is trying to fix it. I am in the office.

Had the usual breakfast and ready to work

Old 08-06-2008, 12:03 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Good morning, Jeannie, Judi, Steve, Izzy, Diana, and Autumngal.
Diana, you eat the best food. Love your food choices. Some of my ancestors were German, so I grew up eating good food like that. We lived on a small 100 acre farm.
Lacy, so you are going to be the new Ava Gardner. She was from Smithfield, if I remember correctly. Her first cousin's husband was my English teacher in the eighth grade. Her first cousin was also an English teacher in our high school. I wasn't lucky enough to get her, but they said she made English literature come alive.
I'm trying some new things today. I haven't killed anyone yet, so I must be all right!
Grape fruit2/O
banana
vanilla yogurt
Did you also live in Germany or only your ancestors?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 PM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Jeannie,Izzy and all-our realtor just called and we have an offer coming in and the people have never been to our house!!!!!!!!!!! They've viewed it on-line and sent a broker to view it. It's a contingency as they have to sell in AZ.
That's good news,Lacey! Make sure to give them a time,like 3 weeks or something to protect yourself,first you need to look at the terms and condition. Give them a certain time limit. It seems it's going to take a long time. This is a business of patience. So don't let it frazzle you.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Default Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Did you also live in Germany or only your ancestors?
Only my ancestors, I have never been to Germany. The same last name from both my mother's and father's side of the family. Well, I do live in the South, you know. This name was my maiden name and my mother's great grandmother's maiden name. I don't think there were any close relatives marrying. My grandmother on my mother's side and my grandmother on my father's side had the same maiden name but it was Scotch-Irish. I recently learned from the history channel that Scotch-Irish means that they were Scots and moved to Ireland and then on to America. Still no close relatives that I have found. I know they met back there someplace though.

One of the main groups of people that settled in the North Carolina moutains is German. The other two are English and Scotch-Irish. My English ancestors probably got here during the colonial period. I am still trying to figure out when the German and Scotch-Irish ancestors came. My mother's father's family is on the first census that was recorded. They are right there on the same page as the Lowe's of the Lowe's Company. Lowe's Company started in our county with one little hardware store when I was very young.

I saw a mountain recipe book that had potato salad made with vinegar only and no mayonnaise. Mayonnaise was a rare thing when I was growing up. I think people of Eastern North Carolina did homemade mayonnaise. We just had our fatback or some call it side meat.
Grape fruit2/O
Small can of beanee weenie
1/2 English cucumber
3 triscit wafers
1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries

Last edited by NCN; 08-06-2008 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Forgot to put lunch on post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals