Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Are you trying to say that only stupid people live in Richardson? Sure sounds like it.
You're kidding me right..Gimme a break. We're open to Ricahrdson I said, not sure why that statement is being ignored. Go find another thread if you have nothing positive to add. The purpose here was to discuss commutes, otherwise lets move on from discussions that aren't really useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
www.republictitle.com/outbound/ResGuide/2009scores.pdf (http://www.republictitle.com/outbound/ResGuide/2009scores.pdf - broken link)

But I still don't get why everyone is ragging on the OP--both places have advantages and disadvantages, and he seemed to prefer what Flower Mound has to offer. Dallas is great and all, but jeez, all the suburbs aren't horrible. People live there for a reason. Not everyone wants to be right next to Dallas. I love being close to the city now, as a young professional, but I'm happy I spent my high school years in the suburbs.

Thanks mSooner..Not sure why I am getting all this flack either..One of the things you bring up is actually something I consider in my analysis of different places we look at-population densities. Which are higher in say Richardson, than in FM, in fact they are almost 3 times higher in North Dallas burbs by comparison to the FW burbs. Its a stat I pay attention to, not driving our final decision. But directly relates to resale etc, and the burbs in Northwest Dallas tend to do very well with resale by comparison.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post

But I still don't get why everyone is ragging on the OP--both places have advantages and disadvantages, and he seemed to prefer what Flower Mound has to offer. Dallas is great and all, but jeez, all the suburbs aren't horrible. People live there for a reason. Not everyone wants to be right next to Dallas. I love being close to the city now, as a young professional, but I'm happy I spent my high school years in the suburbs.
As someone who "ragged" on the OP...it was because he/she ragged on Richardson, which is a city he/she is clearly not all that familiar with if he/she thinks it is not good enough for him/her. You can't use the school quality excuse for a large portion of it, so it must be the age of the houses, ethnic composition, unfounded fears of crime, or dislike of a more urban setting. Most likely a combination of some or possibly all of the above. If that is the case, then come out and say it. Don't say it sucks or it's "iffy" or whatever word he/she used.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
^^
TO get the facts Straight...
Here is waht the OP said about Richardson...
Quote:
Just heard it had some crummy areas, I am open to looking but a community like FM is what we are after.
They never "ragged" on Richardson, they are new to the area and just have info that co-workers told them. Then in the next breath they said they were OPEN to looking there. But hey like what FM has.

so we agree that FM to Richardson would be an aweful commute.... But that's what they like less population density and newer.
CAn we help the OP find what HE wants closer to Richardson?

I think the OP could find something they like in... Murphy, Wylie, Sunnyvale, Rowlett(?) and Garland area(maybe the firewheel area) Even Rockwall would be a better commute than FM

Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
^^
TO get the facts Straight...
Here is waht the OP said about Richardson...

They never "ragged" on Richardson, they are new to the area and just have info that co-workers told them. Then in the next breath they said they were OPEN to looking there. But hey like what FM has.

so we agree that FM to Richardson would be an aweful commute.... But that's what they like less population density and newer.
CAn we help the OP find what HE wants closer to Richardson?

I think the OP could find something they like in... Murphy, Wylie, Sunnyvale, Rowlett(?) and Garland area(maybe the firewheel area) Even Rockwall would be a better commute than FM

See it really is true, people in Texas are truly friendly, helpful, well-balanced folks. Thank you.

I tried to remind them I said we were open to look at Richardson, but somehow that point kept getting overlooked. Basically we're weighing all options, Richardson included. Renting included. Moving on..

I will take a look at Rowlett, good suggestion, that is one I hadn't looked into. So basically most of the FW burbs won't be a favorable commute to Richardson or Plano correct?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
So basically most of the FW burbs won't be a favorable commute to Richardson or Plano correct?
Honestly no for Richardson esp. Quality of life etc...There are way too many good areas to end up driving for an hour+ every day 2x a day!

Now for a Plano from FM... you would have to drive it to see how bad it was I have no idea. It might be doable if you worked in the western most Plano.
Coppell is very nice (small yards though) excellent schools etc... and would be easy to get to Plano from.

Just found out too that a small part of Richardson goes to Plano schools. But I really think Pierce (In Richardson) is a great school as well.

really look at Murphy as well. It really has a great location.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Honestly no for Richardson esp. Quality of life etc...There are way too many good areas to end up driving for an hour+ every day 2x a day!

Now for a Plano from FM... you would have to drive it to see how bad it was I have no idea. It might be doable if you worked in the western most Plano.
Coppell is very nice (small yards though) excellent schools etc... and would be easy to get to Plano from.

Just found out too that a small part of Richardson goes to Plano schools. But I really think Pierce (In Richardson) is a great school as well.

really look at Murphy as well. It really has a great location.
Pearce lost its exemplary rating this year. But my local high school, Richardson High School, is rated exemplary.

The parts of Richardson that are zoned to PISD are the parts in Collin County. That county line cuts right through some neighborhoods so the districts change street to street.

Northwest Plano from FM wouldn't be too bad, but old Plano along 75 would be terrible.

And I hear Murphy's nice, but to me it seems way too rural. I'm sure that will change with time.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
Hey...if transplants don't want to move here, let's look at the bright side: Fewer cars on the road, fewer people in line at the supermarket, fewer people to use up the city's resources, fewer kids in the local exemplary schools to jack up taxes, less whining about how there's no Trader Joe's or whatever other retail outlets they miss from their home state, etc.
Less people buying homes on the market...

Jeez, people! Most people only said Richardson was different from Flower Mound..not worse! For every person saying Dallas, Richardson, "insert city here" is a crime-ridden dump, there is someone else whining about the "soulless suburbs." It doesn't have to be one>the other.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times
I use to live in Coppell and drove to east Plano off GB and Jupiter...took me about 20-25 minutes...I luckily rarely hit traffic...it was always opposite. So if it takes that long to get to Coppell...it will take longer than that to get to Flower Mound (obviously). If you work in FW, I would definitely recommend working in FW...it is what my spouse and I did recently. The commute sucks and I would live where you work if possible. Have you thought about Murphy? It isn't very rural and is building up quickly. My brother and his wife just moved there...takes him about 20 minutes to get to his job in Richardson. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
I use to live in Coppell and drove to east Plano off GB and Jupiter...took me about 20-25 minutes...I luckily rarely hit traffic...it was always opposite. So if it takes that long to get to Coppell...it will take longer than that to get to Flower Mound (obviously). If you work in FW, I would definitely recommend working in FW...it is what my spouse and I did recently. The commute sucks and I would live where you work if possible. Have you thought about Murphy? It isn't very rural and is building up quickly. My brother and his wife just moved there...takes him about 20 minutes to get to his job in Richardson. Good luck!
Hoping to make it over to Murphy on on trip out to Dallas next week. Not sure we will have time since we're visiting family, so maybe on a second trip. I will say I have had my eye on Murphy in terms of house prices, seems favorable, and location seems great. Had a conversation with the city planner too and liked what he had to say. Does it have a downtown area with shopping? If not, where do most people go for services.

Coppell seems nice too, but you are right the yards on every home just seem really small. I am going to check it out on a return trip at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas