Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are relocating from Tulsa OKlahoma to Denton due to a job change. I have two boys one in 6th grade the other in High School. Please tell me what schools are the best and where we can get a decent rental. Salary is around $80K until I find work as well. Is this a good place to live or is there a better place close by? My husbands job is in Denton.

Your help and suggestions are really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 PM

108 posts, read 318,680 times
Yes, because 35E is bad in Denton just about all of the time. It's also pretty dangerous as it's a 2 lane highway on each side with a concrete barrier dividing the highway that is very close to the driving lanes. Denton is also a pretty cool and laid back college town (UNT) once you get away from the freeway.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,950 times
Out of the three public high schools in Denton (two of which I've had children attend), I'd say Guyer is the best. The only middle school I've had personal experience with is Crownover and it was nice as well.

It's true that 35E is small but I wouldn't call it overly dangerous because of the dividers. As far as commuting to work, I personally wouldn't want to live south of Lake Lewisville and have to drive over that bridge into Denton everyday but plenty of people do. South Denton and Corinth is nice, parts of Highland Village reminded me of California and you might want to check out Plano, Carrolton and Frisco as well.

I know next to nothing about the apartment scene, I'm sure a lot of them on the north side are older or student. I do live near this one in Denton and it's in a nice area: [url=http://www.preserveatpecancreekapts.com]Preserve at Pecan Creek[/url] Lewisville and other cities to the south are going to have a larger/nicer selection if you don't mind the drive. One thing to keep in mind if you look at those apartments is that bike trail is gone, freaking Dart commuter line is going in there.

I wouldn't buy into the Denton/UNT great college town hype.

Last edited by GatorUSMC; 08-01-2010 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: damn train

Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Denton has grown quite a bit in past 5 years--home prices have gone up and there has been new retail going in as well--it used to be pretty dumpy town...
and for my money I think it is a dirty town--there is always litter blowing around--and lots of the areas have a 'aged" look to them...
but Denton has some nice areas around it--more rural if you are wanting that--
but some of them are also high $$$ horse property type locations

Denton ISD is decent school district==has some National Merit scholars--
UNT is huge engine driving the town--not that much other business presence--has decent hospital--but there is lot of grunge to the student body--
I-35 is not a good commute--
when my son lived in Denton for college--he used 377 most of the time to come visit us in Bedford--town about 25min to the south--
Exemplary/recognized/acceptable/unacceptable are the top/bottom school ratings
easier to get high ratings in elementary school than high school
you can check rental homes at realtor.com

will PM a web site for MLS search--had Denton county but not Parker or some other outlying ones in Metroplex...
the Northwest ISD is south of Denton--gets lot of positive press--I think its history is not that great but maybe the new influx of residents will push it to extend itself
Justin, Roanoak, Trophy Club are towns with Northwest ISD...
this is the web site for TEA region 10 and region 11
they show the public isds in this section of north tx
R10 Districts Listing (http://www.region10.org/about_r10_districts_map.html - broken link)

I cant get the region 11--dallas area to come up

Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
Is the 35E going toward Denton from Corinth busy in the morning. My husband will be working at Texas Health presbyterian hospital and we are looking at a home right by Guyer High School. Is that a decent area to live? Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Denton has grown quite a bit in past 5 years--home prices have gone up and there has been new retail going in as well--it used to be pretty dumpy town...
and for my money I think it is a dirty town--there is always litter blowing around--and lots of the areas have a 'aged" look to them...
but Denton has some nice areas around it--more rural if you are wanting that--
but some of them are also high $$$ horse property type locations

Denton ISD is decent school district==has some National Merit scholars--
UNT is huge engine driving the town--not that much other business presence--has decent hospital--but there is lot of grunge to the student body--
I-35 is not a good commute--
when my son lived in Denton for college--he used 377 most of the time to come visit us in Bedford--town about 25min to the south--
Exemplary/recognized/acceptable/unacceptable are the top/bottom school ratings
easier to get high ratings in elementary school than high school
you can check rental homes at realtor.com

will PM a web site for MLS search--had Denton county but not Parker or some other outlying ones in Metroplex...
the Northwest ISD is south of Denton--gets lot of positive press--I think its history is not that great but maybe the new influx of residents will push it to extend itself
Justin, Roanoak, Trophy Club are towns with Northwest ISD...
this is the web site for TEA region 10 and region 11
they show the public isds in this section of north tx
R10 Districts Listing (http://www.region10.org/about_r10_districts_map.html - broken link)

I cant get the region 11--dallas area to come up

Old 08-01-2010, 03:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I don't know that specific piece but from Corinth to Denton is on the Dallas I35E side--
my comments were more about the I35W side going into FTW not Dallas

there are crime maps that give stats for police calls in areas--you can Google and find one with info about that particular area in Denton
looking at an overhead shot of the area by Guyer it looks like there is mobil home park across the road...
what neighborhood are you looking at

Old 08-15-2010, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,871 times
I believe the area around Guyer is a really nice place to live. You'll notice that people from around here each like a particular high school. Apparently there is a lot of competition between high schools (there are 3).

Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM

20 posts, read 64,246 times
I live fairly close to your area and yes there are some nice areas around Guyer, which I also have heard is a good school. The drive into Denton on I35 E. north bound, can be at time a little slow, mostly with college students commuting in from Dallas and such. On the whole it's not too bad, traffic flows at a pretty good pace, only in very bad weather does it get dicey, and of course there is always the chance of that fender bender no one counted on. Denton is a very decent town to live and work in, it does have the two universities there, so it has a college town feel. There is North Texas State and Texas Woman's Universities, as by now you most likely know. Yes there is a lot of competition within the Denton schools so just be braced for it. I think Denton is an OK town, besides it's only about 30 or 45 minutes into Dallas if you want to do something special or different. It does have a lot to offer in the way of boutique type restaurants, a historical downtown square with clubs, restaurants,browsing type shops and such. I don't know if your children are into music, sports or such, but with the universities close there are ample students that tutor, or teach sports or music related interests and those kind of things at very attractive rates. There are a lot of recreational type areas, as in parks, swimming pools there is also a fairly large water park on the north side of Denton. I almost forgot Lake Lewisville is to the south, maybe 7 or eight miles away and Lake Ray Roberts is just north of Denton about the same distance. Both of course have camping, hiking and other recreational opportunities available. All in all, the
Denton area has a lot to offer even if you do choose to live in say Corinth or the other local communities. Rental property shouldn't be a problem, as there are loads of apartments and single family houses for rent in the area being that it's a college town. Even the other towns mentioned should have a fairly wide selection of homes for rent. My son went to school in Oklahoma and one thing I did notice that was different was it was a lot more "churchy" around Tulsa than it is in this area. Hope I have not offended you by saying that but just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas