Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:28 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Gotta spread the "love" (I tried to rep you).

TurtleCreek is letting you know this is a HUGE issue when it comes to the far flung burbs when it comes to resale. Just like you the buyers that are coming in from higher cost of living areas are chasing that "bigger" and "newer" house that they could not afford where they are moving from. They will pass right by houses that are 5 years old to go on down the road 5-15 miles so they can get that "bigger" and "newer" house. In their wake are left tons of cookie cutter homes one right after the other that really have nothing wrong with them and look just like the "brand new one" other than they are not "brand new". The appreciation on real estate in these areas is lacking because of it.

FYI: On that house you are looking at.......... brass in the master bath? They updated everything else but left that and the brass ceiling fans. I'm shocked, seriously.
I swear we have that same brass shower enclosure in our master and I can't wait to get rid of it! Too many other projects ahead of it, though. However, if we were selling there is no way I'd leave it. Sorry I got OT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,756 times
It's surreal to hear suburbanites talk about houses that have been "lived in" by others as if that was a terrible thing. Talking about a "new" versus "used" house is bizzare, but a definite reality in the northern suburbs. I'd worry about selling the house too. There is a reason it is more than half the price of a Lakewood home.

The other day, I had a man come up to our door who had lived in our house 60 years ago. It was cool to listen to how the neighborhood had changed -- and stayed the same -- over the years.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
It's surreal to hear suburbanites talk about houses that have been "lived in" by others as if that was a terrible thing. Talking about a "new" versus "used" house is bizzare, but a definite reality in the northern suburbs. I'd worry about selling the house too. There is a reason it is more than half the price of a Lakewood home.

The other day, I had a man come up to our door who had lived in our house 60 years ago. It was cool to listen to how the neighborhood had changed -- and stayed the same -- over the years.
Oh, I do not think it is a terrible thing at all. Our current house was previously loved . Our entire family LOVES the Lakewood area but it is just not convienent for us. DH likes being w/in 5-10 minutes of the office because we never know when an emergency will come up. If not for that and we were wanting to move then Lakewood would be tops on the list. The other day I was even browsing on realtor.com and seeing what houses were for sale that would suit us (DH's cars ) there were several that had sold back in the same year we had bought our current house. Went to DCAD to look up change of ownership and the market price. What we paid for our house back in 2002 we could have bought one of those for the SAME PRICE (high 400's to low 500's). Difference is mine has only gone up a bit while the ones in Lakewood have DOUBLED! I soooo wish we could do it over again but then again the whole location to office would come into play. Oh well. I'm happy w/ where I am and love my neighbors, neighborhood, area, schools, etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,730 times
Everyone has different preferences and it is not necessarily bizarre when other peoples' choices do not coincide exactly with your own. I think it might be more bizarre to go about purchasing and living in a house as your primary residence with the main focus being worrying about the resale of the house.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,718 times
Not sure where to start here..I have considered all the points you are making, talked to realtors etc, but there are other factors to burb living we like too, and we're not looking to be in the City. Close enough, but not in it. Neither hear nor there, I am acutely aware of the fact that I will probably be selling against new construction at some point if/when I sell. I actually consider FM in particular a solid pick when it comes to a choice suburb by comparison. In fact most statistics show the Northwest Dallas burbs have fared better than the Northern burbs when it comes to resale. Not sure why, maybe proximity to the airport or both cities, either way I have been doing my research.

We aren't after the biggest home per sei, we are after a typical Dallas area amount of square footage that will accommodate my 3 three children. Being a NEglander I like the idea of getting a pool too, but not married to it. I like a quieter town, like Flower Mound, but with a nice amount of convenient retail. FM has all of this, and affordable taxes and reasonable population densities.

The primary goal in moving to Texas is more than just the house, although I think some of you think I need a mansion. We're after a better way of life for our kids, a nice house and new adventure, the ability to keep Mom home eventually. This is what we really think is the value in considering a relocation to Texas.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
The primary goal in moving to Texas is more than just the house, although I think some of you think I need a mansion. We're after a better way of life for our kids, a nice house and new adventure, the ability to keep Mom home eventually. This is what we really think is the value in considering a relocation to Texas.

You're married! No tea for you!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Well I guess if I had to answer that I would say I prefer 3000 square feet, house built in the last 15-20 years, 4 beds, 2.5 baths minimum, and my wife wants a pool. But I understand the pitfalls of them too.

This is a good example of what I might be after in the burbs. You really can get quite a bit out there. Something like this may give our family the option to keep someone home rather than go for the HUGE house, which is very easy to get sucked into when buying a home unfortunately.

1600 Glen Hollow Lane, Flower Mound Property Listing: MLS# 11449586
3,000 square feet to some people IS a huge house.

You would be hard pressed to find that in Lakewood if you have a budget in a certain range.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
You're married! No tea for you!

FYI this isn't a dating website. Back on topic......

With what OP just stated....you would probably enjoy FM or another suburb better than Lakewood. Lakewood reminds me more of a Boston suburb with the older houses and mature tree's, however, you don't get a whole lot for your money here. Most homes are older, but a lot of have been renovated, and on smaller lots. I would still come check it out if you get a chance before making a final decision. It's a great little neighborhood, close to the city, but far enough away to be convenient for a night out or a trip to a museum.

Good luck in your search and your move

Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Gotta spread the "love" (I tried to rep you).
So did I; I have to spread the love too.

Quote:
TurtleCreek is letting you know this is a HUGE issue when it comes to the far flung burbs when it comes to resale. Just like you the buyers that are coming in from higher cost of living areas are chasing that "bigger" and "newer" house that they could not afford where they are moving from. They will pass right by houses that are 5 years old to go on down the road 5-15 miles so they can get that "bigger" and "newer" house. In their wake are left tons of cookie cutter homes one right after the other that really have nothing wrong with them and look just like the "brand new one" other than they are not "brand new". The appreciation on real estate in these areas is lacking because of it.
I just ran the numbers and looked at my house's 10 year history on Dallas CAD; it increased in value by 103% from 2000 to 2010. In scuzzy Richardson no less.

Quote:
FYI: On that house you are looking at.......... brass in the master bath? They updated everything else but left that and the brass ceiling fans. I'm shocked, seriously.
Tell me about it! Gross. A lot of the door furniture and cabinet pulls/hinges in this house are brass but they're really old...like the house. I'm slowly replacing them with polished chrome. And you ought to see the 1980s microblinds that are in some of the rooms. All in due time. I certainly wouldn't put my house on the market with those hanging up, but I did buy it this way. It was a steal for this neighborhood. There's a house for sale on my street for $133.45 a square foot. I got mine for the low 90s per square foot. Bargain! And since it doesn't have 25-40 windows like a lot of those suburban mini-mansions do, I can replace every window in the house with the top of the line energy efficient windows for under $10k installed. Brilliant. Plus, I never have to worry about a pipe leaking under my slab. I'm not on a slab. People are not kidding when they say they don't build them like this anymore. They really don't. Craftsmanship has totally gone out the window.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
3,000 square feet to some people IS a huge house.

You would be hard pressed to find that in Lakewood if you have a budget in a certain range.

I agree, but I am not trying to put anyone off by the size house we're after. Quite honestly I think we're being fairly conservative for Texas standards.

Lakewood sounds great, similar to say Arlington up here in MA, or Winchester, or Cambridge. All these are very nice places to live outside of Boston, but not places I necessarily want to raise my family, even though they are convenient, they tend to be very expensive and congested. Although Arlington MA might be an exeption, this town is tops..If I were to look seriously at LW I certainly would downsize my expectations, like I would for an equivalent town/city up here in MA. I will give it a look when I get back down there to see some of the North Dallas burbs. I think it will be hard to beat FM for us personally though. I liked it better than Southlake quite honestly, and much better than Kellar. Trophy Club actually had some older neighborhoods that looked pretty neat, the newer stuff didn't appeal to me. Looked like they napalmed the trees and just built homes. No trees in some of the new developments, not as appealing to me.

I still want to see Allen, Frisco, McKinney etc on my next visit..I am sure all the inner ring folks are going to rip me for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas