Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

I have not stepped foot in a Walmart in YEARS!!!! I just flat out do not care for the place nor their business practices. We sell to many businesses that sold products to Walmart and the things they make them do "or else" is just flat out wrong. That is just one of many reasons why I do not like the place and will not support it.

Saying that, it is VERY possible to shop for all of the needs of a family and not have the need to visit the establishment of Walmart. I do most of my weekly shopping at SuperTarget and based on what friends that do patronize Walmart say, I pay the same or less for many items at Target. If Walmart does not have direct competition then their prices are NOT that great at all. I like the atmosphere at Target, their staff is ALWAYS courteous, the store is clean, the products are reasonably priced and good quality and they keep their parking lots clean and free of buggies all over the place.

Had a nephew that worked for Walmart for several years. The crap that goes on that is not told is just pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I have not stepped foot in a Walmart in YEARS!!!! I just flat out do not care for the place nor their business practices. We sell to many businesses that sold products to Walmart and the things they make them do "or else" is just flat out wrong. That is just one of many reasons why I do not like the place and will not support it.

Saying that, it is VERY possible to shop for all of the needs of a family and not have the need to visit the establishment of Walmart. I do most of my weekly shopping at SuperTarget and based on what friends that do patronize Walmart say, I pay the same or less for many items at Target. If Walmart does not have direct competition then their prices are NOT that great at all. I like the atmosphere at Target, their staff is ALWAYS courteous, the store is clean, the products are reasonably priced and good quality and they keep their parking lots clean and free of buggies all over the place.

Had a nephew that worked for Walmart for several years. The crap that goes on that is not told is just pathetic.
Exactly! I heard that Walmart was very controlling of manufacturers...big bully! I try to avoid Walmart but go there occasionally. They have terrible curb appeal...why are their parking lots always so dirty?

But mostly it's the other customers that I don't want to deal with. Not a specific race or age group but more like a specific level of common sense and class. Guess Walmart makes plenty of money off of them because they sure don't get any off of me and the folks I hang out with.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Exactly! I heard that Walmart was very controlling of manufacturers...big bully! I try to avoid Walmart but go there occasionally. They have terrible curb appeal...why are their parking lots always so dirty?

But mostly it's the other customers that I don't want to deal with. Not a specific race or age group but more like a specific level of common sense and class. Guess Walmart makes plenty of money off of them because they sure don't get any off of me and the folks I hang out with.
What they do to the manufacturers is bullying. They come in and say, "we want you to package X product this size and it must fit this and you must sell it to us at X price or we will not do business with you". I can rattle off several well known businesses that have been subjected to this.

Their parking lots are DISGUSTING!!!!!! The last time I was there did it for me. I was like, how am I supposed to get into the store if my shoes keep sticking to the nasty dirty parking lot.

There is a reason there is a website called Funny Pictures at WalMart
EWWWWWWWW

Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post

#1 Do not go to Walmart
#2 Do not go to Sam's Club
#3 Do not visit www.walmart.com
#4 Do not visit www.samsclub.com

Problem solved.
Agreed.

And to whoever said Tom Thumb was high-priced...yes, it is...but it has been having some really terrific sales lately and with the coupons in their circulars you can actually get some great deals.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
I don't want to shop at Walmart, beloved forum members. The reasons for this are numerous with the main one being that I really don't think it is in this nation's best interest to have a trillion dollar company. And, yes, I do have issues.
Another reason is the new Super Mercardos they are planning on building. I can't look at a Walmart without seeing a Super Mercardo so, for me, this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
While trying my damnedest to shop at places like Family Dollar and Dollar General, I still find myself having to go to Walmart to buy things. I feel really dirty afterwards.
I recently read a thread in here about a new German grocery outlet called Aldis expanding in the area and you can certainlty consider me to be one of their new customers. Is Trader Joes a good alternative to shopping at Walmart? Someone mentioned them also.
Is Costco a better alternative to Sams?
I have learned something myself. If you want clearance items, never go to Walmart. Instead, go to places like Home Depot and Loews. Man, in comparison, they have real clearance prices!
I would like to write a book on how not to shop at Walmart or Sams. I've also thought about starting a class where students attend an actual Wal-Mart to just stand around doing nothing learning how not to buy things.
I think Target is a good alternative too.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I think Target is a good alternative too.
I used to think so too but then I decided to boycott Target (it was the final straw, I was annoyed with Target for ages) over its decision to fork money over to an anti-gay candidate. I'm straight but I'm for gay rights so....

Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM

200 posts, read 548,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I used to think so too but then I decided to boycott Target (it was the final straw, I was annoyed with Target for ages) over its decision to fork money over to an anti-gay candidate. I'm straight but I'm for gay rights so....
That's liberal BS. I started buying more from Target after the BS issue intentionally raised by the evil dems to support their tax and spend candidate. I even changed all of my gifts to Target gift cards. I heard that Target actually treats its LGBT employees quite fairly. I would support gay rights but I believe Target made the donation because that candidate is advocating fiscal conservatism which our government needs desperately! I think gays should be left alone and have their own ways even should have the rights to get married just like everyone else. But the fiscal issue takes priority. Everyone would suffer more and more if we elect more tax and spend dems!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
That's liberal BS. I started buying more from Target after the BS issue intentionally raised by the evil dems to support their tax and spend candidate. I even changed all of my gifts to Target gift cards. I heard that Target actually treats its LGBT employees quite fairly. I would support gay rights but I believe Target made the donation because that candidate is advocating fiscal conservatism which our government needs desperately! I think gays should be left alone and have their own ways even should have the rights to get married just like everyone else. But the fiscal issue takes priority. Everyone would suffer more and more if we elect more tax and spend dems!
You call it BS, I call it principle. If Target had not reneged on its pledge to donate an equal amount to an LGBT advocacy group, I would feel differently. I can make my own shopping decisions and so can you. There are plenty of stores around and I know my avoidance of Target won't hurt their bottom line but at the same time I can't spend my money there. Not after what they did.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
What are good ways to avoid shopping at Walmart?

I'd suggest the best way to avoid shopping at Walmart is to stay out of their parking lot.

scyogi mentions a dollar going further at Walmart than Kroger. I've shopped both, while also shopping Whole Foods. Each provides me with preferences. Walmart is good for everyday cabinet stocking items, Kroger for general items Walmart won't carry (stevia comes to mind) and Whole Foods for specialties. I'm certainly not going to pay Whole Foods prices for something I can get at Walmart much cheaper. Fool me once...

BidDGeek has a problem with Target, well so do I. If I want discount products I don't want to pay Macy's prices. That's one Target I'm going to miss, with intent. I can do better at Big Lots.

I do notice that there seems to be a lot of people working at Walmart. People I suspect would otherwise be working at some hamburger press house if anywhere, and for less. I really don't get it how people who have shopping choices, not to mention other life options some don't have, can condemn a company that actually pays dependable wages to workers who might be challenged to personal achievement in a more competitive work place. Or seniors who have finally found a place willing to give them something to do, having been turned down by corporate offices simply because they don't enhance the work place or campus atmosphere. I'll be looking for many posters in these forums to experience that life benefit in a few years.

And if you find it schlepping to grace them with your presence then really, go sachet yer butt somewhere else.

Last edited by Willsson; 09-02-2010 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 PM

216 posts, read 444,457 times
You guys must go to different Super Targets than me because I've never found their groceries to even be remotely cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas