Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,889,473 times

Advertisements

As Texas regulates the insurance industry, the state needs to force the insurance companies to provide commuting Texas customers with weekend insurance policies with options to cover emergencies. In other words, under such a plan, Texas customers agree to commute five days of the week without using their vehicles in which time they won't need coverage. During the weekend, actually the two days that they are typically off from work, they are covered. To handle any life threatening emergencies which may arise during the five days they commute to work, a customer can purchase an option to cover such situations.
This kills multiple birds with one stone. First off, it gets people off the freeways and streets. Second, it increases mass transit ridership and revenue. Third, the state will produce less overall pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,555,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
As Texas regulates the insurance industry, the state needs to force the insurance companies to provide commuting Texas customers with weekend insurance policies with options to cover emergencies. In other words, under such a plan, Texas customers agree to commute five days of the week without using their vehicles in which time they won't need coverage. During the weekend, actually the two days that they are typically off from work, they are covered. To handle any life threatening emergencies which may arise during the five days they commute to work, a customer can purchase an option to cover such situations.
This kills multiple birds with one stone. First off, it gets people off the freeways and streets. Second, it increases mass transit ridership and revenue. Third, the state will produce less overall pollution.
I get your point but you are misusing the word "commuting"
I work 5 days a week and drive my car as no public transportation is available. Therefore I commute to work Monday through Friday.

If I worked from home I'd be telecommuting, which I think is what you're getting at(?)
I do like your idea about giving telecommuters an insurance discount but not driving at all M-F might be a bit tricky from a management and enforcement standpoint.
Any ideas that reduce the #'s of cars jamming our freeways and reduces our carbon footprint are good ideas!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,960,664 times
the point is that in Texas insurance companies can't be forced to do much of anything...

and the fact is that even people who telecommute from home are often using their cars for non-work-related driving during the day...

Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,772,941 times
I'm glad the insurance companies can't be forced to write policies, especially stupid ones like that.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Default Commuting by mass transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I'm glad the insurance companies can't be forced to write policies, especially stupid ones like that.
But the state does regulate insurance companies. Why do you think this is stupid? Okay, let us say that I am considering going all out to do my part to help the environment by moving into a TOD (transit oriented development) and riding a train and/or bus. To tempt me further in choosing to do this, the state then makes insurance companies provide me with a policy of weekend insurance. In other words, I'm agreeing to not drive my vehicle parking it for five days out of the week. For the time I am off work, I pay an insurance policy to drive my vehicle on those two days plus a small sum to cover me in case of a life threatening emergency.
Once again, this kills at least three birds with one stone.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the point is that in Texas insurance companies can't be forced to do much of anything...

and the fact is that even people who telecommute from home are often using their cars for non-work-related driving during the day...
I'm not speaking about telecommuting. I am speaking about seriously commuting by mass transit. Okay, here is another example. On the five days that I choose to commute by train or bus, rather than drive a car to drive to the store or whatever in the little time I am off, instead I decide to purchase myself a small scooter to get around. To insure this scooter can cost a person as little as a hundred dollars a year. I know this because I own one. Now, with a weekend insurance policy, I will be able on the five days that I commute by mass transit to ride this scooter. Still, I am saving money while, at the same time, I am being encouraged to commute by mass transit.
In other words, when a person decides to give up driving their vehicle most of the time, they shouldn't be penalized by the insurance companies for not driving. If there is any time that they need to drive again full time, then they should get the same rates they had before they decided to become diligent full time commuters by mass transit.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 09-15-2010 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I get your point but you are misusing the word "commuting"
I work 5 days a week and drive my car as no public transportation is available. Therefore I commute to work Monday through Friday.

If I worked from home I'd be telecommuting, which I think is what you're getting at(?)
I do like your idea about giving telecommuters an insurance discount but not driving at all M-F might be a bit tricky from a management and enforcement standpoint.
Any ideas that reduce the #'s of cars jamming our freeways and reduces our carbon footprint are good ideas!
I was talking about commuting by mass transit. As Texas has lots of insurance companies based here, I can see them fighting this idea. But times they are changing. I can also see new car dealerships fighting the idea of people getting out of their vehicles and getting themselves into mass transit instread. Strangely, the telecommunications companies might find it against their best interests to make talking on a cellphone while driving a serious offense approaching that of or equal to DUI. It's like the state is punching us in the nose and kicking us in the ass to do both the right and wrong things, respectively.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 09-15-2010 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,960,664 times
who is going to pay for all the enlargements on public transportation--
if you have insurance companies making rules that effect ALL the state you need to consider that some metropolitan areas (not to even mention more rural ones) have NO public transportation--
Arlington is a large city with masses of people who work in Dallas or FTW and drive to their jobs--and there is NO public transportation except one weak, lame attempt to get people using buses...
how much do you think it would cost to set up public transportation in Arlington and PAY FOR IT--
that is one reason Arlington has fought doing it for decades....

Most of Tarrant county has become fairly highly populated and outside FTW city limits there is NO public tranportation --again a tremendous cost to start and maintain...
what you are proposing would reguire BILLIONS of dollars--on a state level

I am not saying using public transportation is bad or that having it is bad--
but you can't say have the insurance companies basically penalize people who don't USE/have access to public transportation
that is illegal probably...

AND most auto policies ask drivers how far they travel to work--if it is within a certain mileage amount I think they get a discount--

Old 09-16-2010, 07:33 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,535,380 times
Yuck.

Most people who do take DART have to drive their cars to the station anyway. I work a mile from home and I drive to work, my husband works from home. We shouldn't pay more car insurance than the person who takes the bus to work, how ridiculous. The mass transit users may (just as we may) drive their cars on weeknight evenings anyway. The transit here is simply not good enough to get people out of their cars to run errands.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,765,055 times
Sorry, TX is not ever going to be a mass transit commuter state. Too big. I can see maybe the major cities but even then, the cities are too spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas