Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 PM

12 posts, read 31,202 times

Advertisements

Found the street Richard Avenue

Is this a nice street? Lots of old homes, some look nice, some look rundown. If we bought a fixer, and couldn't afford much more than cosmestic repairs, would it still be a good investment or is it a seedy area?

Is it safe for a family with kids? Crime high?

School district is Bonham. I'm not sure that's a desirable elementary. Any advice would be appreciated.

The homes are in our price range, although that would mean downsizing and opting for more charm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
That's a good area, but you are going to have noise and people parking on the street from the nearby places on Greenville Ave. and possibly from sporting events at Glencoe Park.

Here's the Dallas crime map: Dallas, TX Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Dallas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here Looks like not much goes on on Richard, Ave, which is a good thing...

Old 11-09-2010, 05:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Bonham is an Exemplary-rated Elementary School; however the school only goes from Pre-K to 3; you would need to change schools after that and the otehr schools in the feeder are not as good as staying in the Woodrow Wilson HS feeder in East Dallas (includes Lipscomb, Jackson, & Lakewood Elementary schools which are all excellent and Lee Elementary which is ok but getting better).

I feel the need to point out the demographics of Bohman, as I suspect it is different than where you are comign from: around 50-60 kids per grade. 92% of school is Hispanic; 4% White. 90% Economically-disadvataged. 52% Limited English proficiency. The fact that their test scores are good enough to be Exemplary definitely means great things are happening in that school though!

I have a friend who has lived in the 5300 block of Richard for the past few years. He has a great little craftsman cottage and has enjoyed living there as a single guy due to proximity to Henderson Ave bars & restaurants and also to Greenville Ave. The neighbors are mixed- lots of Hispanics and older people who have been in the neighborhood before it was "cool" and also lots of young professionals moving in, too, now that it is "cool". I will say the difference between his neighborhood and the M Streets/ Stonewall Terrace/ Lakewood/ Junius Heights/ Hollywood Heights neighborhoods to the north & east is that the young professionals in those areas tend to be more likely to start their families in those homes & send their kids to those schools. To be blunt, you see a lot more white, yuppie looking kids playing in those neighborhoods than in my friend's on Richard.

It is safe, although stay away from Greenville (about a half a block in either direction) due to noise & traffic. I will say the neighborhood starts to get sketchy about 2 blocks south, the areas south of Richmond Ave have not "gentrified" yet and there are still a lot of seedy looking apartment buildings and homes in that area.

I think you're on the right track....just stay focused on getting into Lipscomb, Jackson, and Lakewood elementary schools. Real estate is still soft in Dallas. If you can pay $200k for a home, look up to $220k because you never know....What about these listings? They are all in more established/ transitioned neighborhoods than Richard Street. You'll need to look them up on realtor.com because I can't post links-->

6827 Santa Fe Avenue, Dallas, TX 75223-1201
$219.9k
3/2 2172sf.
This is a CHARMING little neighborhood called Hollywood Heights that backs up to the Lakewood Country Club and is close to Lakewood Village. Zoned to Lakewood Elem.

7107 Coronado Avenue, Dallas, TX 75214
$207k
3/1 1059sf
Another Great little neighborhood in Lakewood Elem- "C Streets" - it's on the north side of the Lakewood Country Club, walking distance from the lake & also close to Lakewood Village.

7018 Hammond Avenue Dallas, TX 75223
$199k
2/2 1627sf
Darling TUDOR - amazing details- Hollywood Heights, Lakewood Elem.

2820 Norris Street Dallas TX 75206
$189k
2/2 1095sf
cute cottage 1 block from Tietze park- playgrouds, soccer fields, swimming pool, etc. Stonewall Jackson ELEm.

5733 Victor Street, Dallas TX 75214
$174.9k
3/2 1704sf 1917 Craftsman home with big front porch. Walking distance to Lakewood library & Village. Lipscomb Elementary.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I really like the area around Richard. I have a friend on Miller and love his neighborhood. And although Bonham itself is good, it's feeder pattern is not so great - follow some of TC80 suggestions.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 PM

59 posts, read 117,300 times
Very safe. Good investment. But better schools feed to Woodrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas