Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
My "Frisco is the place for you" refers to the greater ease with which the OP could fit into the social scene up there, where EVERYONE is new to the neighborhood. He's not going to find that in the established suburbs, and he certainly won't find it in places like Lakewood, where you have many 3rd or 4th generation Texans and even Dallasites.

This is COMPLETELY UNTRUE. I have many, many friends who live in Lakewood and didn't grow up there (some didn't even grow up in Texas!) and they are all doing well there socially. If you have kids, you'll become friends with the other neighbors who have similar aged kids or you'll meet other friends via the parents of the kids on your soccer, basketball, etc teams or the other parents involved in the Lakewood Early Childhood PTA or the Lakewood PTA. Even if you don't have kids, you'll make friends through neighborhood churches or just by being friendly when you're at Times Ten Cellars or the Balcony Club or other neighborhood hangouts.

My friends are always inviting their neighbors (whom they didn't know at all until they moved in 2, 3, 5, etc years ago) over for BBQs, college football watching, etc. Some streets have "dinner clubs" or "movie nights."

It's pretty much impossible NOT TO make friends in an area like Lakewood, particularly if you have kids.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 11-12-2010 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times
That's cool. Did you know you can make friends in the suburbs as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This is COMPLETELY UNTRUE. I have many, many friends who live in Lakewood and didn't grow up there (some didn't even grow up in Texas!) and they are all doing well there socially. If you have kids, you'll become friends with the other neighbors who have similar aged kids or you'll meet other friends via the parents of the kids on your soccer, basketball, etc teams or the other parents involved in the Lakewood Early Childhood PTA or the Lakewood PTA. Even if you don't have kids, you'll make friends through neighborhood churches or just by being friendly when you're at Times Ten Cellars or the Balcony Club or other neighborhood hangouts.

My friends are always inviting their neighbors (whom they didn't know at all until they moved in 2, 3, 5, etc years ago) over for BBQs, college football watching, etc. Some streets have "dinner clubs" or "movie nights."

It's pretty much impossible NOT TO make friends in an area like Lakewood, particularly if you have kids.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
That's cool. Did you know you can make friends in the suburbs as well?

Yes, smarta**. I know that.

My post was disputing Big G's claim that it's impossible to make friends easily in established neighborhoods like Lakewood AND establish suburbs (Richardson, Plano, etc.) His exact words were "...the greater ease with which the OP could fit into the social scene up there, where EVERYONE is new to the neighborhood. He's not going to find that in the established suburbs, and he certainly won't find it in places like Lakewood, where you have many 3rd or 4th generation Texans and even Dallasites."

Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times
That's fine, though I hope you find the irony in mentioning that parents often meet each other at Times Ten Wine Cellar.

Where I grew up, we didn't have to go to a wine bar to interact with fellow families. We had things like backyard bbq's, block parties, and swimming pool parties.

I guess that's too sophisticated and bland for the Dallas folk though. I guess meeting up at Times Ten would be way cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, smarta**. I know that.

My post was disputing Big G's claim that it's impossible to make friends easily in established neighborhoods like Lakewood AND establish suburbs (Richardson, Plano, etc.) His exact words were "...the greater ease with which the OP could fit into the social scene up there, where EVERYONE is new to the neighborhood. He's not going to find that in the established suburbs, and he certainly won't find it in places like Lakewood, where you have many 3rd or 4th generation Texans and even Dallasites."

Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Would you like Frisco?
I live in Plano, but I work in Frisco. I think it depends on what you primarily want. Dallas may be more "interesting" to you as far as more funky, diverse places to go and see. Frisco, on the other hand, has highly rated school system. Dallas does not. (Not to say ALL Dallas schools are bad. Nobody start yelling. ) Frisco is, as has been said, very kid-oriented and family friendly. Many, many amenities in Frisco. Since your job would be in Frisco, you should just come check it out and see what you think.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
That's fine, though I hope you find the irony in mentioning that parents often meet each other at Times Ten Wine Cellar.

Where I grew up, we didn't have to go to a wine bar to interact with fellow families. We had things like backyard bbq's, block parties, and swimming pool parties.

I guess that's too sophisticated and bland for the Dallas folk though. I guess meeting up at Times Ten would be way cooler.
I'd like to know from which schools you graduated, because your reading comprehension skills are sorely lacking. Go back and actually read my whole post from 10:59 today....I specifically mentioned backyard bbqs and getting to know neighboring families by having them over for movie nights and dinners.

Times Ten was my suggestion for a way for CHILDLESS couples (NOT PARENTS -- again check your reading comp skills) to meet other Lakewooders.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
>>Don't forget - all 74,000 of those new residents are white people who moved there to get away from minorities<<

It looks like the blacks are on the move as well from this post on city data by Lakewooder:

//www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...cs-dallas.html

directly quotes this DMN article:

'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:

I read and reread TC80's posts and I don't see a thing mentioned about parents being forced to meet each other at Times Ten or that block parties and backyard bbq's were mutually exclusive from meeting other adults a wine bar. That is an absurd conclusion and illustrative of the closed-mindedness in Collin County.

Being a parent doesn't mean you can no longer drink wine with other adults. Perhaps this is the disconnect between the suburbs and Dallas. There isn't a stigma attached with drinking wine -- once you become a parent or otherwise. Dallasites have plenty of block parties and bbqs. At these parties we occasionally even ... drink ... beer.

I still find it fascinating that the long time residents of DFW almost unanimously suggest potential new residents look within Dallas County, while those who have never lived here or are recent transplants, think that Dallas isn't desirable and instead focus on Collin County. It's really fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80
Even if you don't have kids, you'll make friends through neighborhood churches or just by being friendly when you're at Times Ten Cellars or the Balcony Club or other neighborhood hangouts
Meeting people by friendly at a bar? The horror! The horror! They clearly don't allow this in Colon County [sic].

Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Agreed. Who would want all that pretentiousness and snobbery?
Not I, said the fly.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM

419 posts, read 998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>>Don't forget - all 74,000 of those new residents are white people who moved there to get away from minorities<<

It looks like the blacks are on the move as well from this post on city data by Lakewooder:

//www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...cs-dallas.html

directly quotes this DMN article:

'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News
Perhaps Lakewooder was referring to this quote in the article you just posted:
"As more black families migrate to the suburbs, figures show white families move farther out."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas