Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM

148 posts, read 307,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Guapo View Post
Wow! You were serious?! Thought you were making jokes. Good luck!!
haha i was dead serious. took it this morning. Emergency med is actually a field i'd be interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 11:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Guapo View Post
Are we talking about men and women dating or starting a business together? These relationships sound quite superficial. And I hate to be butting in so abruptly. I'm just considering Dallas to relocate to. One of my reasons for wanting to leave Memphis is because the social scene for young black dudes sucks badly here. May have to add Austin to my list too.
Dude, according to this map, Memphis is a hot spot for guys looking for grrls ... but of course sometimes you do just need a fresh environment to get a fresh perspective ...

maps : Who's Your City? by Richard Florida

Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 18,810 times
Okay,I'm a handsome 57-year-old black Canadian lad who's a real heavy metal,garage rock,Country music,dancing-
EXCEPT LINE DANCING!!!-and rodeo buff who's said to look like a black cowboy when wearing Wranglers and boots.Would I have much trouble finding white or Hispanic cowgirls in Dallas,Houston,San Antonio or the rest of
Texas?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHandsomeBlackCowboy View Post
Okay,I'm a handsome 57-year-old black Canadian lad who's a real heavy metal,garage rock,Country music,dancing-
EXCEPT LINE DANCING!!!-and rodeo buff who's said to look like a black cowboy when wearing Wranglers and boots.Would I have much trouble finding white or Hispanic cowgirls in Dallas,Houston,San Antonio or the rest of
Texas?
Hahaha!!

Are you sure your name isn't Cowboy Troy?

Cowboy Troy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 AM

5 posts, read 18,810 times
No,because "Cowboy" Troy is 6'5'' and about 35,while I'm 5'8'',210 lb.,and though a 57-year-old dude,
am said to look FAR BETTER in cowboy duds than Troy Coleman likely does.Besides,I'm into heavy metal,garage rock,(REAL) Country music,dancing-EXCEPT LINE DANCING!!!-and rodeo-not to mention
curvy cowgirls between 26 and 40-NOT "HICK-HOP" like fake Cowboy Troy!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Let's see.... you are a 57 Yo male looking for a 26-40 yo curvy white or hispanic women. Yes, you'll probably find some young needy women who are looking for a daddy to support them. You are rich and have a good job, right ? I have a serious question, why do you eliminate the possibility of a black woman ?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM

95 posts, read 211,818 times
ok, a little late to the game here, so forgive me if I repeat. Just two things to say:
1. Lots of different sexual prefences to choose from. You did not say what yours is, but any way you go, you will find lots of it, just like any major city
2. Let's put it like this: I went to training for my company once. They bring people in from offices all over the US. One night we had one two many and began talking about how many people we had slept with. Most of the group, who were mostly from the Midwest, said like 2, 3, 4. One guy from Texas, and I both cleared our throats and said "no comment" so as to not look like total sluts :-)

Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentUserName View Post
I am a 30 year old new ER doctor who is moving to Dallas in the summer to start my first job out of residency.
I spent all my twenties in classrooms and in the hospital getting my face raped by malicious megalomaniacs. I drive an 11 year old 3 series BMW that is leaking steering fluid and still has little flecks of dried protein powder in the speaker grills from an horrible thermos explosion 6 years ago. I will make about 350,000 a year. I need a new car, a new address and a new woman. How do I proceed? My current plan is to move to uptown, buy a BMW and start dating. Im 6'1" and look like a fraternity stereotype. So I'll generally be like that 30,000 millionaire stereotype I see mentioned, but with a paycheck to back it up.
What does the paycheck back-up?

ER. Uptown gals might salute that, but they really go for the surgeons...

A great friend once said, "If you can't do it with twenty dollars, you can do it with two thousand". Money shouldn't count.

I hope you're not one of those docs that suddenly make attending, get a little bank, then go crazy. I call it the monkey with a gun syndrome. Young attendings burning through wives, girlfriends, friends.

We all $hitted our 20's away in crappy callrooms, doing lots of things left forgotten.

If you had the minerals to pull while a resident, you'll be fine. Please don't go around talking about what you make. It's Dallas. There are guys from SMU that can barely read that can buy and sell most Hospital Chiefs of Staff.

However, there are many buxom women more than willing to let you spend your money on them. You could even marry some of them. But would you want them raising your kids?

You'll likely fall into the Lemon Bar/Loon mix. Fairly cliched but it seems like that's what you're going for.

BTW. I own Uptown, I am a surgeon, I've got a car made from a small company in Stuttgart, a swiss watch with their U.S. Headquarters in Downtown Dallas, but it's not announced.

Maybe being a doc is a big deal in Dallas, but on the east coast, we're a dime-a-dozen, so you learn how to fend for yourself.

So yes, you'll do well Uptown. Likely very well. Maybe answer a page while at a bar, study at Starbucks. I actually bumped into a Spine guy in a white coat and scrubs in public. You'll have the girl that wants the guy with the money. But if you have to pay for it, does it really count?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Default Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
As someone else said, this is a weird first post too, but if it is legit and not fake, it's certainly interesting.

If this is serious, you don't even need a nice car. Just move to uptown (IMHO, doesn't matter, I'd say look for the bang for your buck, luxury at a good price, don't overpay) and hit up uptown clubs and what not. Being able to say you are a doctor is all you need, given that you imply you are attractive, girls will fall all over you, regardless of what car you drive. You wouldn't be a 30,000 millionaire type because you have the job and cash (and probably student loans to pay off) to back it up.

It also sounds like you don't mind attracting the uptown golddigger type, but even then, I still suggest getting a new car that is reliable and dependable rather than status symbol. Your doctor coat is all the status you need. You'll still attract uptown golddiggers, but not as blatant as the ones who will gravitate to you because of the car you drive. You might be able to weed out true money whores for simply attractive eligible bachelorettes who simply proritize financial stability when looking for a mate.
Maybe I'm late to the party. I didn't realize the MD makes them salute in Texas like you've laid it out. There is this guy at my gym that rocks a stethoscope when he walks out after every workout and I want to make him a Level I trauma. I might have to even find a pager to wear on my tailored scrubs if the gates are opening up like that...(sarcasm inserted for effect)

Ritz it cool, too far ER guy. Great time to buy. Plenty of places Uptown. Having a place you own will separate you from the pack. But if you rent, Mondrian is better or try to sublet at Za-Za.

Skip the Uptown starter kit. Get an older 911 993 to show you have style or a 997.1 GT3 to show you have aggression. Just know, Rarris and Lambos roam wild here. Skip a shiny new Rolex Sea-Dweller, go for something vintage, maybe an Explorer from the year you were born or a Daytona if you can talk a reseller into hooking you up. Skip Brooks Brothers, do bespoke at Barneys and by all means have your shirts tailored. You've got some money, now prove you've got taste.

And never, ever, ever show up for work in Dockers with a scrub top tucked in. That's just wrong.

And not that I'm even close to their strata, drive down Preston into HP or Midway in Preston Hollow Estates if you want to see what 'real' money, as in no one asks questions, looks like. It always gives me perspective.

Last edited by GreyDay; 02-26-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 AM

56 posts, read 171,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
What does the paycheck back-up?
Well there was talk of these guys who made 30k a year over extending themselves with rent payments and lease payments for BMWs to appear like they made money. I was saying I would also like to have a nice apartment and a nice car, but that I wound not be over extending myself to do it.

Quote:
I hope you're not one of those docs that suddenly make attending, get a little bank, then go crazy. I call it the monkey with a gun syndrome. Young attendings burning through wives, girlfriends, friends.
Far from it. I may pay 3k a month in rent and 1k a month on a car, max. But the bulk of my income will be directed toward paying of student loans and saving for business capital. In five years I want to be looking at a very short path to opening a business. Id like an Urgent Care or if I am wildly ambitious a free standing ER (which would take more time to build capital to start). I don't like the idea of every dollar I ever make coming from me grinding out an hour of the same work I did in my 30s as in my 60s. I love my job but would like to branch out significantly before I leave my 30s. But that will take even more short term sacrifice and living well below my means. But that was my 20s as well right?

Quote:
However, there are many buxom women more than willing to let you spend your money on them. You could even marry some of them. But would you want them raising your kids?

You'll likely fall into the Lemon Bar/Loon mix. Fairly cliched but it seems like that's what you're going for.

So yes, you'll do well Uptown. Likely very well. Maybe answer a page while at a bar, study at Starbucks. I actually bumped into a Spine guy in a white coat and scrubs in public. You'll have the girl that wants the guy with the money. But if you have to pay for it, does it really count?
Well I'll worry about kids in 5 or so years.

In response to this bromide about getting a girl only for the money I disagree. I will admit that some girls might really just care about money, but I think that is very rare. More common would be a girl who is simply attracted to perceived success and ambition in a mate. You know they may actually respect me for what I have done with my life. The money helps, maybe a lot, but I don't think the girls I know now would see me anywhere near the same if I was just a guy about to come into a large inheritance after squandering my 20s and my potential on bull****. As someone who I assume spent a decade of their life or more with every day being about medicine, as did I, how can you separate your self worth from the job? How can you expect a woman to not factor it in? Its a massive part of my identity now. It seems crazy to imagine that your potential mate is going to be ambivalent about what you have done with your life. It is glib to just say "oh it's the money". That is the easy answer. I think its the 24 days in the last 28 that I worked 13 hour shifts to lay a foundation in my life to invite someone else into. I wont work like that come next year, but when I meet and choose a wife she will know I spend a decade working like that because I knew one day I would meet her and I wanted to have prepared a life for us.

Anyway, welcome to the thread. I am very happy to have you here. I need a perspective like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas