Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 AM

176 posts, read 234,272 times

Advertisements

I just wish people would treat each other as they would want to be treated. It takes energy to be rude. Hardly any to be kind and considerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:45 PM

57 posts, read 85,411 times
You can probably count me down as one of the California snobs.
I was born in Long Beach, lived in the Inland Empire for a while before my family moved to Southern Utah. I did my undergrad in Montana and returned to the LA area for work.
I lived in South Bay for about five years before moving to DFW two years ago. I so miss cycling and running along the Strand in South Bay - it's one of the many things I miss about Los Angeles, and I haven't found a counter part here that comes remotely close (yes, I've been out to White Rock Lake and the Katy Trail).

As much as I've tried, I absolutely hate living here. The nicest people I've met here are also transplants from elsewhere, the average driver here is worse than any random nutter on the 405 and I've run into all forms of sexism/racism here (multiethnic woman in a male-dominated profession).

I don't really think of Dallasites as "snobs" per say, more like "elitists". I definitely see the big-fish-in-little-pond here a lot. I didn't run into LA snobs very often; usually when I was out in WeHo or in Downtown, and they were silly enough people you can at least laugh at them. Here it's just depressing.

Excepting my fiance, who I met in Dallas after moving here, I haven't met any Texas native who I could befriend and relate to.

The snobbery I see here is that (generalizing), people are very self-important. It's ingrained in the culture and attitude. It's American Individualism to the extreme.

If you're still considering moving here, I highly recommend looking up the State Legislative Report, "Texas on the Brink".

Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAstris View Post
Spoiler

I was born in Long Beach, lived in the Inland Empire for a while before my family moved to Southern Utah. I did my undergrad in Montana and returned to the LA area for work.
I lived in South Bay for about five years before moving to DFW two years ago. I so miss cycling and running along the Strand in South Bay - it's one of the many things I miss about Los Angeles, and I haven't found a counter part here that comes remotely close (yes, I've been out to White Rock Lake and the Katy Trail).

As much as I've tried, I absolutely hate living here. The nicest people I've met here are also transplants from elsewhere, the average driver here is worse than any random nutter on the 405 and I've run into all forms of sexism/racism here (multiethnic woman in a male-dominated profession).

I don't really think of Dallasites as "snobs" per say, more like "elitists". I definitely see the big-fish-in-little-pond here a lot. I didn't run into LA snobs very often; usually when I was out in WeHo or in Downtown, and they were silly enough people you can at least laugh at them. Here it's just depressing.

Excepting my fiance, who I met in Dallas after moving here, I haven't met any Texas native who I could befriend and relate to.

The snobbery I see here is that (generalizing), people are very self-important. It's ingrained in the culture and attitude. It's American Individualism to the extreme.

If you're still considering moving here, I highly recommend looking up the State Legislative Report, "Texas on the Brink".
To be fair, the "report" was little more than a liberal rant on what's wrong with Texas. Similar criticisms of Texas can be found in the 'P&OC' forums. And why would there be anything wrong with Texas if there weren't people who preferred to live here rather than in, say.... East L.A, or Harlem, oh yeah... Detroit? And people continue to flood into the state to get out of 'wherever they may be stuck in' at the moment. Many seeking homes and educations they could only dream of in that place they seek to vacate. Some come to keep the job that's going to pay for those dreams.

People prefer to live in Texas and Dallas, and Houston - other hick places in the state, because of the affordable life style which doesn't necessarily include high taxes, union control, big government - you get the picture. If requiring those aspects of civilization makes one a snob, then by choice, anyone is welcome to it.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM

57 posts, read 85,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
People prefer to live in Texas and Dallas, and Houston - other hick places in the state, because of the affordable life style which doesn't necessarily include high taxes, union control, big government - you get the picture. If requiring those aspects of civilization makes one a snob, then by choice, anyone is welcome to it.
So you are one of those that don't consider the third extra legislative session and recent infringement on women's rights 'big government'? Please.

Don't take an objective report comparing Texas to every other state in the nation and call it liberal bias. There were positive points as well, including high home ownership, if you care about that sort of thing.

Texas has some of the highest property taxes in the US. Just because income isn't taxed here doesn't mean there are no high taxes.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
I sympathize. I haven't lived in CA but I've lived in various European countries; Dallas is not the most sexist or racist place I've ever lived. In fact when I came back from Europe I found its relative lack of sexism/racism refreshing! It exists here, sadly, as it does everywhere in varying degrees.

Quote:
I don't really think of Dallasites as "snobs" per say, more like "elitists".

I know exactly the people you're referring to...the self-important, my poo-don't-stink snobs. I grew up in Preston Hollow, almost despising humanity to the point of pathological misanthropy because I felt that everyone around me was...well...insane. Then I went to college in Austin and found that this attitude is very peculiar to Dallasites. I've never seen it anywhere else.

We're not all like that, though. I know it can seem that way sometimes.

Quote:
So you are one of those that don't consider the third extra legislative session and recent infringement on women's rights 'big government'? Please.

Don't take an objective report comparing Texas to every other state in the nation and call it liberal bias. There were positive points as well, including high home ownership, if you care about that sort of thing.

Texas has some of the highest property taxes in the US. Just because income isn't taxed here doesn't mean there are no high taxes.
Preaching to the choir! There are big downsides to a "low-tax", low-services, low-revenue state. People who have only lived here their entire lives don't know any different, but I do. I personally think the politics in Texas are beyond messed up, but that doesn't make us much different from many other states. I think the US in general is headed down the wrong path, and our Congress is a huge embarrassment. The Texas Lege used to be good for some comic relief, but I'm seeing some alarming things coming from Austin. Hopefully once Governor Good Hair retires, the tone might change down there but since the Republicans have gerrymandered this state to within an inch of its life, don't look for control of the Lege to change hands anytime soon.

Sad state of affairs. I fantasize every day about moving away again, and I'm from here. I have never fit in in Dallas, and boy do people here let me know it. I feel your pain.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 PM

50 posts, read 98,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I sympathize. I haven't lived in CA but I've lived in various European countries; Dallas is not the most sexist or racist place I've ever lived. In fact when I came back from Europe I found its relative lack of sexism/racism refreshing! It exists here, sadly, as it does everywhere in varying degrees.
I agree europeans can be less patriarchial but I can't agree on the racism point. Southern and Eastern Europe has a real race problem--bananas thrown at black politicians, monkey sounds being made at black soccer players.... I know it's a minority but the US has never had a monopoly on racism...

Quote:

So, you call the city ugly, its residents self-important sexist racist people that generally depress you and that you couldn't relate to a single person here. Yeah, I think it is safe to call you a California snob. If you're that unhappy, by all means move back to LA. Life is too short to be as unhappy as you are....

Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I agree europeans can be less patriarchial but I can't agree on the racism point. Southern and Eastern Europe has a real race problem--bananas thrown at black politicians, monkey sounds being made at black soccer players.... I know it's a minority but the US has never had a monopoly on racism...
That was my thought too.

I lived in California and Illinois before here. I honestly cant tell much of a difference in day to day race relations between the places Ive lived.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
I lived in South Bay for about five years before moving to DFW two years ago. I so miss cycling and running along the Strand in South Bay - it's one of the many things I miss about Los Angeles, and I haven't found a counter part here that comes remotely close (yes, I've been out to White Rock Lake and the Katy Trail)..

Talk about someone who should get out more.

I have a different experience.

I lived in LA/San Fran as long as you did. Unlike you I hitchhiked the state and always picked up hitchhikers. I also raced bikes at the highest level in Norcal and spent many summers working as a guide in the mountains. I spent long days at Newport Beach and spent many hours swimming buoy to buoy. I have friends who speak only Spanish and friends in the upper reaches of corporations and government and education. I spent a lot of time in Brentwood and in Fresno and in Marin.

I miss CA in many ways as well.

But I do not miss the Liberal cranks like you who made my life a living hell every time I showed up in my Army Blues at formal functions or made some snide remark about Hicks and Baby Killers.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Preaching to the choir! There are big downsides to a "low-tax", low-services, low-revenue state. People who have only lived here their entire lives don't know any different, but I do. I personally think the politics in Texas are beyond messed up, but thin.
Another religious zealot. Notice how no statistics are cited? Just a repeating of what was said?

Texas spends less per pupil but has a MUCH higher graduation rate than CA. That's great.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
You misunderstood me. I said Dallas was less racist/sexist than Europe, not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Another religious zealot. Notice how no statistics are cited? Just a repeating of what was said?

Texas spends less per pupil but has a MUCH higher graduation rate than CA. That's great.
That's just one state in a country with a pretty mediocre secondary education system. I went to private schools but had friends who went to Hillcrest in the DISD and I thought their curriculum was ridiculously easy. I remember most of the public school kids I knew at UT-Austin were also woefully unprepared for college. Those who survived the first semester only did so because they were quick to adopt effective studying habits. Many others dropped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas