Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 AM

8 posts, read 60,012 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Dallas, and in our search for a home we stumbled across two unique communities - Providence and Savannah. They have some really cute homes - that look like homes from the days of old - but with super amenities. Everything looks good online, but does anyone know of them? We plan to go scope things out in a couple of weeks, but want to know if it's worth it. Any direction would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:31 AM

670 posts, read 3,001,005 times
We had a neighbor that moved to Providence when it first opened. She seemed to love it, but the lots were SMALL and the houses were smaller than others in the same price range by builders similar to those. However, she's outdoors a lot with her kids so it probably was a good match.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:45 AM

87 posts, read 373,900 times
Those places are very nice for the amenities like the pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, common areas, but you're not getting a lot of land for your house. The front and back yards are really, really small. Also, the houses are too close together. Try Paloma Creek (down the street) if you're interested in that area.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,481,036 times
Providence and Savannah are way out in the middle of nowhere. The lots are teeny tiny. Houses are very close to each other and close to the street. Tiny yards. The streets are very narrow. They are a lot of foreclosures out there. It's in the Denton school district and not all schools are nearby. High school is far away. I also heard taxes are high. Yes, the pools are spectacular and the houses affordable.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,601,087 times
I love the character of those neighborhoods - very neat house designs. But, as FarNorthDallas says, they are really in the middle of nowhere. But, if you have a job in the area - i can't see a reason why not.

Denton is one way on I-380 - McKinney is the other. Both have some neat areas near downtown with some cool, local restaurants with character. Don't plan to come into Dallas proper unless you want to spend ~90 minutes in non-rush hour traffic to get there though.

Hope this helps to make an informed decision.

Brian

Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,188,484 times
Who is going to pay to keep up all those 'amenities' when the developer leaves? What if someone is hurt on/at them and sues?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:00 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,150,271 times
Oh the HOA fees will cover the "amenities".... It the cost that would scare me. That and the media room at Savannah that scares me. When we were looking for a home last fall, we looked out there. We stepped into the darkened media room in the club house and there were a group of a dozen teen/preteens all laid out on beanbags. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a far amount of hanky panky took place in the "common areas".

And did I mention it's way out there? It's further out than I'd want to commute to Plano, I'd hate to think of commuting into downtown.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 60,012 times
Thanks for all the input. We figured it would be too good to be true. Originally we didn't want to live so far out, but after seeing those we were more than willing to do so. We had dismissed the idea of living in Dallas b/c it's hard to find an affordable home in a nice area. We love Lakewood, and the rehabbed Oak Cliff, but we can't afford one, and are so-so on the crime in the latter. So, out we are to the suburbs! Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,601,087 times
If you provide price range, minimum sq ft and where you will be working, we can give suggestions that are closer to the office. Also, keep in mind that if you have to drive 40-50 miles to work - you are effectively adding $200/month to your travel bill that you could allocate to a larger mortgage (that you'd get a tax deduction for... unlike with a fuel bill... and the mortgage wouldn't fluctuate like gas prices - not to mention the wear/tear/depreciation on your vehicle by commuting long distances).

For what it's worth, $200 per month is roughly equal to a 30-year loan @ 6.5% interest on $30,000.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,188,484 times
When some of these Plano and Frisco people say Savannah and such are far out - you know they are really out in the sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas