Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:50 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times

Advertisements

"The insinuation in alot of these posts regarding asians is that they will make good neighbors and make the schools better. I dont think the same is thought of blacks in general and Africans in particular, hence the North/South divide"

I don't think that's a fair statement SouthernLiving. For one thing, the North/South divide? Plano is where most of our northern transfers insist on living (hello). I will also add, we have had an influx of Asian immigrants since the communists took over China, Koreans after the Korean war, and then of course the SE Asians since the 60's. Folks are more familiar with the asian immigrants strengths because they have been around longer. The African immigrants started coming in during the 90's. Not as many people are in the know about them, or they are just now starting to learn. I agree that they are a bright bunch with a strong value system. The ones I have met are pleasure to be around, these are the new Americans I want to be here (versus the people who come here illegally).

"The actionable point I am making here is that this anecdotal evidence refutes the insinuations in the Bell Curve and suggests very strongly that skin color is not a causal factor in the perpetuation of the black-white academic achievement gap"

Yep, I agree to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 AM

56 posts, read 171,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"The actionable point I am making here is that this anecdotal evidence refutes the insinuations in the Bell Curve and suggests very strongly that skin color is not a causal factor in the perpetuation of the black-white academic achievement gap"

Yep, I agree to that.
I have not read the bell curve completely and will not take a stance on it. But I will echo ganongrey here and say that an examination of any new immigrant population which doesn't account for selection bias cannot be used to prove anything about a general black-while achievement gap. It weakness the case of those refuting the Bell Curve to make an error that any reasonably intelligent high schooled could see. Further more there is no reasonable person on the planet who thinks skin color is *causal* in the achievement gap. One would say it is correlated.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is a very interesting topic. We all can learn from immigrants about how to be successful. As a black male, I believe that we have run out of excuses about why we can't be successful. There is always going to be racism. That is nolonger an excuse for not living up to our potential personally. We have a great country that we should all be proud to be part of. We've got to make the most of our lives.
I agree. I'm Jewish and despite the continued existence of institutional anti-Semitism (which is nowhere near as pervasive or prevalent as it once was and does not compare today to the black experience), "our" people are doing just fine. We need to continue to fight racism when/where we see it, but it's not an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau View Post
I work with a Bosnian and a Bulgarian who slam America and Americans. Americans are "money grubbing." Ironically, the Bulgarian plans to run up a lot of debt on credit and leave the U.S. with the money. I hope these two "gentlemen" aren't typical of immigrants from Europe, but I suspect they are. After all, America is the source of all evil in the universe, even if it is one of the nicer places to live.
These people are not typical of any legal immigrant group that I've seen.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
What is surprising though is, According to US Census bureau data, African immigrants are more highly educated than Asians. The percentage of degreed African immigrants is twice that of native born whites, and four times that of native born blacks.
Actually, it's not that surprising at all. Our welfare, entitlement society in the USA and lack of focus on education by parents here is a huge issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post

Skin color has never been a factor in intelligence. It's genenic (if you have two high IQ parents, you may be as well) and socio-economic.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 PM

35 posts, read 102,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. I'm Jewish and despite the continued existence of institutional anti-Semitism (which is nowhere near as pervasive or prevalent as it once was and does not compare today to the black experience), "our" people are doing just fine. We need to continue to fight racism when/where we see it, but it's not an excuse.

These people are not typical of any legal immigrant group that I've seen.
In many ways Jewish people of done a great job of maintaining the immigrant mentality (ie familial pressure to be high achievers) addressed in this thread, despite being in the U.S. in significant numbers for many generations. Is there any chance that a strong adherence to maintaining and reaffirming a value on their cultural heritage plays a part on their continued success?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM

72 posts, read 274,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"The insinuation in alot of these posts regarding asians is that they will make good neighbors and make the schools better. I dont think the same is thought of blacks in general and Africans in particular, hence the North/South divide" . . .
"Blacks in general and Africans in particular"? What? This doesn't even make sense.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM

216 posts, read 716,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
You could attribute it to selection bias. The 'average' African you'd meet in Dallas isn't the average African you'd meet in say, Nigeria. Just to be stateside, they likely had the funds, education and political connections to get out of their country, so it's a skewed sample.

So the article almost misses the point. It insinuates that there's a difference between native Blacks and Africans while that difference, the delta, the haircut, is likely due to a selection bias.

Take the 'average' pre-SAT score from a Black at TAG vs. say North Dallas High and you'd see similar disparities.
Could this not be said about other immigrant groups? The Asians from India, China, Korea would also have to have funds, education and political connections to get out of their country. European immigrants would have the financial strength to do it.These African immigrants actualy have the highest education attainment rates of any IMMIGRANT groups, including European immigrants.

Their perfomance extends to their children

" It is not only the first generation that does well, as estimates indicate that a highly disproportionate percentage of black students at elite universities are African or the children of African immigrants."

journal of blacks in higher education

Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM

216 posts, read 716,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau View Post
"Blacks in general and Africans in particular"? What? This doesn't even make sense.
As you know, blacks are not monolithic. Im trying to differentiate blacks who are immigrants from Africa from Afro-latinos, Afro-carribeans and African Americans

Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,359 times
Nigerians are good at computer scams.

‘Nigerian scams’ keep evolving - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
White people are good at being pedophiles:

Why are over 91% of pedophiles white males. - [domain blocked due to spam]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: