Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have recently graduated from Penn State University and he has found a job in Frisco TX. Everyone we have talked to has told us that Plano is the best area to live in because it is close to Dallas and a very short drive to Frisco.

I have researched Plano and it seems to be a community that is more oriented to people with children. We are not looking to start a family any time soon and we are young, so we want to be in an apartment or town house in an urban/diverse/busier part of town. We also want the luxury of being close to parks or areas where we can walk/run with our dog. Maybe this is asking too much?

My boyfriend is willing to commute 20-30 minutes to work in Frisco. We are going to be making a trip down in May to look for places to live, but it would be nice to get some feedback from people in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
First congrats on your graduation.

If his job is in Frisco, you can live by the Shops at Legacy. It's a pretty busy place for professional people. I assume you are considering an apartment. It puts you close to Addison too and by the tollway for those times you want to drive to downtown Dallas.

Naima

Old 03-21-2011, 05:06 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
I agree that if you're not interestedin the family lifestyle, Plano is going to be really boring for you. I agree with Naima to look near the Shops at Legacy, or in Addison. Both have a much more vibrant urban scene than the rest of Plano.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Addison Circle is right next to a park that has festivals and what not. It's near all the restaurants up and down Belt Line Road.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Heads up! ! !

nsumner made reference to a tollway...

Quote:
It puts you close to Addison too and by the tollway for those times you want to drive to downtown Dallas.
That would be the Dallas North Tollway, from downtown, thru Addison and on to the Frisco area. You can enter 'Dallas North Tollway' in a google map to discern its location. The young, hip and urban society is in Uptown, see McKinney Ave. from near downtown to Knox St., south of Highland Park and parallel to US75.

At the tollway link above you can get a 'toll tag' for high speed drive thru at toll booths. You'll be billed monthly.

And while you have the time, send off for your Texas Travel Guide, IT"S FREE ! ! !, so by time you get here you'll know where you are.

Welcome home...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Plano isn't "close" to Dallas- it's 20+ miles north of the urban action.

Look in Uptown or possibly Addison. Shops @ Legacy is singles oriented, but it's the 30-50 something divorcee crowd, not the young urban professionals.

Uptown is a 25-30 minute commute via Dallas North Tollroad & there are tons of apartments, parks (Katy Trail & Turtle Creek Park), fun restaurants, bars along McKinney Avenue & scattered throughout. It's also close to where the pro basketball & hockey games play, as well as several big concert venues (American Airlines Center & House of Blues) and the Dallas Arts District, home of our museums, musicals, opera, symphony, & theatre. It will be quite easy to find others your age in Uptown!

Addison is a suburb and much smaller than Uptown, although it is closer to Frisco (15-18 minute drive). Lots of apartments, restaurants, & bars- although less "character" and neighborhood feel than Uptown- it's not a bad halfway point to live between work & Uptown.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
^^^ Have to go with TurtleCreek. Shops @ Legacy...... eh. This is the older divorced crowd that is staying close to the area where their kids are in school. Lacks a lot of the shopping that other areas have. Addison is okay. It's been around awhile and some of the areas show it. Addison Circle is nice and any of the festivals, concerts, etc that the city puts on is right there. Uptown, McKinney, Knox-Henderson, etc IN Dallas are going to be the more urban, hip, young professionals, close to the Katy Trail, walking to bars, restaurants, shops, etc.

Penn State is one of the top 3 schools my daughter is looking at. I'm fine with it but it's a LONG way from home for mom.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Uptown is a 25-30 minute commute via Dallas North Tollroad & there are tons of apartments, parks (Katy Trail & Turtle Creek Park), fun restaurants, bars along McKinney Avenue & scattered throughout. It's also close to where the pro basketball & hockey games play, as well as several big concert venues (American Airlines Center & House of Blues) and the Dallas Arts District, home of our museums, musicals, opera, symphony, & theatre. It will be quite easy to find others your age in Uptown!
I was in Uptown yesterday about the time the game started at AAC and then during the game we were up and down McKinney. There was just an astounding amount of street activity - the trolley was rolling, people and dogs walking and running and every restaurant patio and deck was packed.

Definitely worth the reverse commute drive if you ask me!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times
I would suggest Addison, the commute from Uptown might be a bit too much. There's a lot of fun activities to do there and plenty of young people.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM

207 posts, read 506,282 times
I was going to say Addison too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas