Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM

9 posts, read 15,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Fabulous! Glad both you & Mami found houses in the district. You won't regret it. My kindergarten teacher is still teaching at Hyer (25+ years & counting). The principal there is fabulous and has incredibly high standards for hiring teachers- know several friends in Plano ISD & Richardson ISD who have interviewed with him 2 & 3 times and still aren't deemed "Hyer quality"...his strong point is that each time he gives them a very specific list of things to improve on (integrate more technology into lesson planning, complete masters, etc) to become Hyer quality.
You got that right,my wife use to work with him when he was at Wallace for RISD.Great guy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No I don't think they thought I was from East Dallas at all! I think that's my point.
Then what exactly is your point?

You're white.

Well-Educated.

SMU graduate.

BMW driver.

Real estate "mogul".

What basis did the host use to "discriminate" against you & kick you out of his/her home?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
I'm not a Parkie? How am I supposed to know? The point is that I was greeted with the "THIS IS A PRIVATE PARTY" -- I've never since encountered that, the only place that ever happened to me was in Highland Park. It became a joke among some of my friends after that...best said with the Locust Valley Lockjaw. I'm sure Gloria Upson could probably do the line much better.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,044 times
Quote:
OK this was very informal as in, let's keep drinking after the bars are closed - no phone calls, no cell phones, no Crane paper engraving.

ANYHOW, I've never done that again, unless it's with East Dallas people whom I know don't care about such things!
Ahhh -- the after hours party. It was all about the ladies, Lakewooder. The dude on Dartmouth invited some chicks he met at the bar back to his place. He didn't want you or your friend getting in the way. He was being a dick. You were being naive.

[This assumption has a 99% chance of liklihood since you were hanging out with college dudes at a bar who had been drinking all night.]

Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,044 times
Quote:
I'm not a Parkie? How am I supposed to know? The point is that I was greeted with the "THIS IS A PRIVATE PARTY" -- I've never since encountered that, the only place that ever happened to me was in Highland Park. It became a joke among some of my friends after that...best said with the Locust Valley Lockjaw. I'm sure Gloria Upson could probably do the line much better.
I'm a Parkie and they would have excluded me too, Lakewooder. You've got to get that chip off your shoulder. You may have heard some snotty things from fellow SMU students who were also Parkies, but I contend that their snobbiness was because they were SMU college students. That's a really elitiest bunch. But most of them grow out of it as well.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Ahhh -- the after hours party. It was all about the ladies, Lakewooder. The dude on Dartmouth invited some chicks he met at the bar back to his place. He didn't want you or your friend getting in the way. He was being a dick. You were being naive.

[This assumption has a 99% chance of liklihood since you were hanging out with college dudes at a bar who had been drinking all night.]
After 2 a.m. at any bar, you only eat what you kill and the host didn't want any competition. Nothing Parkie about that one. Bro code 101...don't crowd. Maintain the classic 2:2 ratio.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM

419 posts, read 998,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
After 2 a.m. at any bar, you only eat what you kill and the host didn't want any competition. Nothing Parkie about that one. Bro code 101...don't crowd. Maintain the classic 2:2 ratio.
No doubt. If that's how "Parkies" operate it just means they're regular fellas.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM

307 posts, read 477,221 times
Wait wait.. so a white SMU student got denied from a college kegger 25+ years ago in HP/UP and DCC is racist so therefore ganongrey is going to be discriminated against day to day in HP/UP?

This is a perfectly sensible line of thinking and I see nothing wrong with it. Carry on.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
Wait wait.. so a white SMU student got denied from a college kegger 25+ years ago in HP/UP and DCC is racist so therefore ganongrey is going to be discriminated against day to day in HP/UP?

This is a perfectly sensible line of thinking and I see nothing wrong with it. Carry on.
What? A racist that invited me and an SMU student to a party at DCC, after hours, 25 years ago denied me a keg?

That was an upsetting night.

I don't golf. Now if Highland Park has a road course or proving grounds, I'd care.

Sometimes a banana is just a banana.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Nice job of the distraction tactic from the original posit. This was not while I was at SMU it was years later. Why doesn't someone answer the charge against DCC rather than hounding me about the details of my hoary old story?

"I am naturally averse to egotism, and hate selflaudation consumedly; but I can’t help relating here a circumstance illustrative of the point in question, in which I must think I acted with considerable prudence" - Thackery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas