Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:32 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times

Advertisements

Looking around to the end before we take the final plunge into a new home.

We've run the numbers on public vs. private school, property taxes and resale issues. $25k/year x 12 years equals a 300k haircut on homes where we could do public school. But of course that tuition money is gone and hopefully you'd get it back in resale on the more expensive home.

If your budget was 1M and you had kids where would you take the plunge?

There's a cutting edge contemporary in Preston Hollow (I not my wife love) that's been on the market for 2 years. Tempted to make an offer, but worry that if we ever needed to sale, I wouldn't be comfortable with something that sat for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
We've run the numbers on public vs. private school, property taxes and resale issues. $25k/year x 12 years equals a 300k haircut on homes where we could do public school. But of course that tuition money is gone and hopefully you'd get it back in resale on the more expensive home.
Eh, we've already concluded that you'll end up in private schools soon enough anyway. I wouldn't include that in your price/value analysis.

Quote:
Plano, of course- but it's pretty clear you're not looking for that.

Quote:
... (I not my wife love)...
You can stop right there. Don't buy it.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Two years is a lonnnnnnnnnnng time to be sitting on the market. Yep, I'd worry about that too. I would have to assume it's priced way to high.

I would do PH (maybe a different house, lol) and private school, but that's just me. You have to go with your gut feelings. Which neighborhoods feel "right" to you and the wife?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
You can always do a Kanye West Video themed man cave in whatever house you buy, lol.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,764,496 times
Haven't you been down this path already? TurtleCreek gave you some good advice:

Leaving Uptown for Highland Park, University Park or Preston Hollow and need advice
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...sity-park.html

Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Haven't you been down this path already? TurtleCreek gave you some good advice:

Leaving Uptown for Highland Park, University Park or Preston Hollow and need advice
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...sity-park.html
Just doing some last minute second thinking to butcher grammar completely in this sentence.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I would go back to Southlake. We lived there for many years when we first moved from Chicago but the kids were very young then and I really wanted to live on the water, that was the only reason we left.

Naima

Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
I would pick HPISD, hands down, and would be willing to accept an older/ less than perfect home to be in the district....despite the $1M budget.

You also have to calculate the property tax difference- $16k-ish on a $1M HPISD home. $16k will only get you a $750k home in DISD (Preston Hollow) due to higher tax rates and fewer homestead deduction perks.

I absolutely would NOT buy a home that had been on the market for 2 years, regardless of location, without getting 25-30% off list price. Too much risk.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 AM

574 posts, read 1,479,029 times
I thought you'd be all moved in by now!! Guess I'll beat you to it...we close on our UP home in a few weeks.

If you are going to fork over that kind of money on a home, I would go with the area that would all but guarantee a return on my investment down the road. Hands down it's HPISD.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
depending on commute--
Southlake
if you are pushing your price envelope to 1MM then you probably have more choice/options there than in the HP/UP area

if you are true BIG CITY person though Southlake won't work for you
and the issues of schools is moot if you are considering buying in Highland Park--what reason besides keeping up with the Joneses would make you choose private schools over HPISD--THAT is why you are paying that high house/tax price--
if you can't be comfortable doing that--you might as well buy cheaper home and commit to private school from the get go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas