Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 AM

143 posts, read 702,328 times

Advertisements

I was looking to get tested for a range of STDs - not just a HIV test. I have had plenty of HIV tests before.

The only place I could think of was Planned Parenthood - and they charge $139 to test 5 different STDs. An AIDS test is one of the 5.

Is there any government entity that does this for free or at a lower cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtltke137 View Post
I was looking to get tested for a range of STDs - not just a HIV test. I have had plenty of HIV tests before.

The only place I could think of was Planned Parenthood - and they charge $139 to test 5 different STDs. An AIDS test is one of the 5.

Is there any government entity that does this for free or at a lower cost?

Go here....prices are very reasonable

Tarrant County Public Health

Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 AM

I should have been more specific - that looks good for a resident of Tarant County, but I live in Dallas/Dallas County.

I wonder exactly what they charge:

From the Tarant County website
Quote:
Affordable

Individual charges may vary. Clinic fees are assigned according to a sliding scale, based on client income.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
OP--there is DALLAS county dept of health as well
http://www.dallascounty.org/departme...tdclinics.html

Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM

326 posts, read 962,397 times
Here in Dallas:

HEALTH & MEDICAL SERVICES | Resource Center Dallas

Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Health Department.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 52,810 times
I guess having hiv is not the end of world. I'm living w/ hiv for 5 years. you can find the local std testing centers here [url=http://www.stddatings.com/std_testing_center]STD dating site for positive singles with herpes, hiv, hpv, aids[/url] hope it helps.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM

I thought I would give an update on this.

I tried contacting the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department [ http://www.dallascounty.org/departme...Human Services ] to see if I could get tested at their office on Stemmons Fwy. For some reason you can’t schedule anything in advance. You need to call them at 214-819-1819 at 7:45 a.m. for a same-day appointment. If you don’t call them at 7:45 they will never answer the damn phone. I did manage to get a hold of someone eventually and they said that I could go to one of their mobile health clinics which change location depending on the day. [ http://www.dallascounty.org/departme...ts/MMCJuly.pdf ]

One good thing about going to the mobile clinic is that it is free compared to the clinic on Stemmons, which costs $20.

I went out to where they were located that day over on 9779 Forest Lane. The mobile unit is a big RV in the parking lot of a shopping center at Forest & Audelia. The first thing I had to do is fill out forms where I had to give my Social Security number. They didn’t ask for ID, so you can write down anything. In retrospect, I should have never given my real SS# because now it is floating out there forever. I understand that maybe they need your SS# because federal money is being used and they want to make sure that paperwork isn’t being faked, but I still don’t want that information out there.

I have to give a blood sample and a urine sample. I didn’t have to undress or have any swabs done which I have heard can be real painful.

They test for 4 things: AIDS, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and Chlamydia. The results for the AIDS and Syphillis tests come back within 30 minutes, but the results for the Gonorrhea and Chlamydia take 11 days. You are given a phone number and access code to call and find out the results.

When I came back a half hour later, I was told I was negative for AIDS & Syphilis. I saw a nurse who asked me some questions and then wanted me to take some pills for Chlamydia and a shot for Gonorrhea. She mentioned that the Gonorrhea shot had some mild side effects. I asked why I needed these when my test results wouldn’t be available for 11 days. She said something like I could be infected right now, blah, blah, blah.

I got this testing done because I had never been tested before [except for AIDS] and just wanted to be certain. I wasn’t having any symptoms and had never had any symptoms for anything [although Chlamydia can sometimes show no symptoms]. I’m guessing that I am not their normal clientele. Their mission is probably to prevent outbreaks in “at-risk” communities.

I really didn’t want to take the shot and pills, but the nurse insisted and said that no harm would be done if I wasn’t infected. At this point I just wanted to get out of there and took the shot and pills.

That was a mistake.

For the next 72 hours, I was – how can I put this – “pissing out my ass”. It took a full week before I had a normal bowel movement. That shot was nasty.

I called back to the phone number 11 days later with my access code where I found out that I was negative for Gonorrhea & Chlamydia.

So, if you are thinking about going there:

1. Don’t give out your SS#.
2. If you don't think you are infected at all, tell them up front you don’t want the Gonorrhea shot and Chlamydia pills until you get your test results back.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtltke137 View Post
i thought i would give an update on this.

I tried contacting the dallas county health and human services department [ http://www.dallascounty.org/departme...human services ] to see if i could get tested at their office on stemmons fwy. For some reason you can’t schedule anything in advance. You need to call them at 214-819-1819 at 7:45 a.m. For a same-day appointment. If you don’t call them at 7:45 they will never answer the damn phone. I did manage to get a hold of someone eventually and they said that i could go to one of their mobile health clinics which change location depending on the day. [ http://www.dallascounty.org/department/hhs/documents/mmcjuly.pdf (broken link) ]

one good thing about going to the mobile clinic is that it is free compared to the clinic on stemmons, which costs $20.

I went out to where they were located that day over on 9779 forest lane. The mobile unit is a big rv in the parking lot of a shopping center at forest & audelia. The first thing i had to do is fill out forms where i had to give my social security number. They didn’t ask for id, so you can write down anything. In retrospect, i should have never given my real ss# because now it is floating out there forever. I understand that maybe they need your ss# because federal money is being used and they want to make sure that paperwork isn’t being faked, but i still don’t want that information out there.

I have to give a blood sample and a urine sample. I didn’t have to undress or have any swabs done which i have heard can be real painful.

They test for 4 things: Aids, gonorrhea, syphilis, and chlamydia. The results for the aids and syphillis tests come back within 30 minutes, but the results for the gonorrhea and chlamydia take 11 days. You are given a phone number and access code to call and find out the results.

When i came back a half hour later, i was told i was negative for aids & syphilis. I saw a nurse who asked me some questions and then wanted me to take some pills for chlamydia and a shot for gonorrhea. She mentioned that the gonorrhea shot had some mild side effects. I asked why i needed these when my test results wouldn’t be available for 11 days. She said something like i could be infected right now, blah, blah, blah.

I got this testing done because i had never been tested before [except for aids] and just wanted to be certain. I wasn’t having any symptoms and had never had any symptoms for anything [although chlamydia can sometimes show no symptoms]. I’m guessing that i am not their normal clientele. Their mission is probably to prevent outbreaks in “at-risk” communities.

I really didn’t want to take the shot and pills, but the nurse insisted and said that no harm would be done if i wasn’t infected. At this point i just wanted to get out of there and took the shot and pills.

That was a mistake.

For the next 72 hours, i was – how can i put this – “pissing out my ass”. It took a full week before i had a normal bowel movement. That shot was nasty.

I called back to the phone number 11 days later with my access code where i found out that i was negative for gonorrhea & chlamydia.

so, if you are thinking about going there:

1. don’t give out your ss#.
2. if you don't think you are infected at all, tell them up front you don’t want the gonorrhea shot and chlamydia pills until you get your test results back.

tmi

Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
tmi
Actually, it was a perfect amount of information. It's pretty unusual for posters to come back with useful information - we never get "the rest of the story". We now have a post with detailed information answering the question at hand. It will probably help a dozen or more people down the line who won't even have to post the question - just read the answer. to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas