Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times

Advertisements

Reading Dallaz thread about Reunion Tower getting a lighting upgrade, I began to question: When and why did Dallas nightime skyline become so competetive? There are obviously better lit cities but it is not like it's a major tourist destination like Las Vegas or Miami. It just doesn't make sense why this happened in a city that has grown for the most part due to business and logistics. It seems that every new building and development must include some kind of lighting (ex. Convention Center Hotel, Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, 75/Ross underpass, Hunt Oil Tower) and that older flashy buildings must upgrade themselves to not get left behind (ex. Reunion Tower and BofA building upgrading to LED's). What incentives helped this happen? What buildings were game changers? And why Dallas?

courtesy of Skys the Limit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Reading Dallaz thread about Reunion Tower getting a lighting upgrade, I began to question: When and why did Dallas nightime skyline become so competetive? There are obviously better lit cities but it is not like it's a major tourist destination like Las Vegas or Miami. It just doesn't make sense why this happened in a city that has grown for the most part due to business and logistics. It seems that every new building and development must include some kind of lighting (ex. Convention Center Hotel, Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, 75/Ross underpass, Hunt Oil Tower) and that older flashy buildings must upgrade themselves to not get left behind (ex. Reunion Tower and BofA building upgrading to LED's). What incentives helped this happen? What buildings were game changers? And why Dallas?

courtesy of Skys the Limit
Dallas' history of lighting its building can be traced back 77 years with the addition of the flying red pegasus atop the Magnolia Building. My grandfather whom grew up in Dallas said it could be seen for up to 30 miles away at night over the vast North Texas prairies.

Where did you hear BOA was switching its lighting? Is this a reliable source or just here say?

They need to do something with it that's for sure because when ever they go to replace one of those glass tubes the color almost never matches up. You get this bright & dark colored green effect going on. Not noticeable to the untrained eye, but I do.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-22-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Where did you hear BOA was switching its lighting? Is this a reliable source or just here say?
I first heard this on dallasmetropolis. They have been wanting to do this for a while now but nothing has happend so it is not a sure thing. Right now they want to sell the building so if it does happen it would be after the sale.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I first heard this on dallasmetropolis. They have been wanting to do this for a while now but nothing has happend so it is not a sure thing. Right now they want to sell the building so if it does happen it would be after the sale.
It would literally cost hundreds of thousands of dollars if not running into the millions to replace the existing lighting with LED's. Not sure how feasible that is in this current economy.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 AM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times
>>I began to question: When and why did Dallas nightime skyline become so competetive?

This is too funny. Exactly what ISN'T a competitive sport in Dallas?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times
dallas downtown stands out more then any other city beside los angeles, chicago, and newyork but besides does city dallas stands out people dont talk about north dallas where mavs play its like youre in ny the buildings never end on each side of the freeways you dont see a tree and downtown is growing with condos looks like those in miami so ha ha ha dont hate on d town 6.5million the largest metro in south so PILLY,ATLANTA,BOSTON,MIAMI YOUR OPINION DONT COUNT LOOK AT THE FACTS WE ARE IN THE HEADLINES AN ON THE WEB SITE NORTHEAST AND EAST COAST OR ALL BORING CITIES AND SNOBBY ATTITUDES BECAUSE CITIES AINT GROWING RIGT BUT WEST COAST LOS ANGELES AND OTHER CITIE LOVE COMING TO DALLAS AS I SEE IN THE THREADS SO DONT HATE THE PLAYER HATE THE GAMEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
dallas downtown stands out more then any other city beside los angeles, chicago, and newyork but besides does city dallas stands out people dont talk about north dallas where mavs play its like youre in ny the buildings never end on each side of the freeways you dont see a tree and downtown is growing with condos looks like those in miami so ha ha ha dont hate on d town 6.5million the largest metro in south so PILLY,ATLANTA,BOSTON,MIAMI YOUR OPINION DONT COUNT LOOK AT THE FACTS WE ARE IN THE HEADLINES AN ON THE WEB SITE NORTHEAST AND EAST COAST OR ALL BORING CITIES AND SNOBBY ATTITUDES BECAUSE CITIES AINT GROWING RIGT BUT WEST COAST LOS ANGELES AND OTHER CITIE LOVE COMING TO DALLAS AS I SEE IN THE THREADS SO DONT HATE THE PLAYER HATE THE GAMEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Also atl your downtown makes me sick the skyline looks like it has a hole in it all the buildings are not like other down towns compete with fortworth dallas little brother for forgot fortworth has 700,000 people yall have 400,000 dont say it but our metro dont forget fortworth is in a metro 6.5million ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Lifer texan quit wearing our name because you know dallas stands out dua crazy who you pick atl philly or maybe miami lol lol lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Lifer texan quit wearing our name because you know dallas stands out dua crazy who you pick atl philly or maybe miami lol lol lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh,I live IN Dallas,dear.

And the schools in west Texas I attended taught Texans how to punctuate,spell,use capital letters,etc.In other words,how to write with a measure of intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas