Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times

Advertisements

The Walmart is on the SE corner of Park and DNT.

A few other locations to look into would be the apartments around Arbor Hills Nature Area on the west side of the Tollway, the apartments and condos located in the area of Park/Preston (walking distance to Barnes & Noble, Whole Foods, and many other shops), and the Austin Ranch development, also on the west side of the Tollway, closer to Frisco.

There are no significant safety issues with any of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 PM

207 posts, read 506,405 times
The Shops at Legacy are great. Right up the toll, and right on the other side of 121 in Frisco is a complex called Cool Springs. Very nice. No granite, but wood ceiling beams, upgraded carpet, and faux wood floors. It's nestled right behind Target.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:02 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post
There is no Walmart in West Plano so I hope thats not too much of a priority .
Yes there is -- on Ohio St., south of 121. And as everyone has mentioned, there is another at Park and the Tollway.

I agree with everyone that Legacy Village sounds perfect for you. It seems fairly quiet during the day, can get bustling at night, but the clientele seems to be uniformly past the party stage.

There is a newer, very nice complex at McDermott and Ohio called Tribeca. The area is not as walkable as Legacy Village, but the complex is very nice.

Another suggestion would be the Lofts at Watters Creek in Allen (which is Plano adjacent). It's similar in set-up to Legacy, although smaller in scale. The grounds within are very walkable -- coffee and upscale supermarket, restaurants and bookstore are right at your fingertips. Not sure about the noise level, though.

Best of luck!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorist View Post
I will be moving out to Dallas, TX in about 5 weeks. I could really use some help on which area (and which apartment complex) to move into. I keep hearing of the newly built, clean, wealthy areas in West Plano, but I'm not sure where that is exactly.

-I work from home so I'm looking for a 2 bedroom place (one bedroom, and one office) in the $1000-1300+ range. Because I do my work from home, having a quiet place (cant hear neighbors, etc) is a huge priority.

-I'd like to be in a newer apartment complex in a newly built, clean, area.

-Safety is important. I often go for night time walks so I prefer to be in areas where I am comfortable doing this.

-Since I spend most of my day at home, I'd like to have a nice apartment. Granite counter tops, wood floors, etc would def be a plus. I dont mind paying more for this.

-I have absolutely NO interest in being around bars/clubs/social life etc. I'd much rather be in a newly built, nicely landscaped, suburban area full of walmarts and starbucks.

Which apartment complexes/areas would you recommend?
Dallas proper is almost exclusively suburban, outside of a few neighborhoods bordering downtown. That is often missed by people who choose the Dallas suburbs. In fact, Plano is denser than Dallas per square mile. In Dallas, tens of thousands of apartment units were torn down in the last decade and replaced with brand new state-of-the-art apartments. The areas are safe, suburban and very well landscaped.

In West Plano, 40 is considered "young." If someone is single up there, it is because they are divorced, which comes with baggage that you don't need at your age. I don't think you'll actually like living there. The women that you would meet at the grocery stores or gyms will have 2.3 kids -- and most of the time they'll be married or otherwise attached. Everything is centered around kids -- even the singles scene because the "singles" have kids.

Look in The Village in Dallas. That way you'll be around people your own age, but not on top of any bars. There are beautiful walking trails under 50-year-old live oak trees lining every 20 feet of the development, pristine landscaping, apartment buildings that were built in the last couple years, and they're building a Wal-Mart across the street on Northwest Highway! (There is already lots of Starbucks.) Plus, you will be closer to the bars when you want to go there (and you will). There are also lots of grocery stores and retail to walk to once you're outside of the Village.

Also, check out Caruth Place, The Avery and the Grand Reserve (http://livegrandreserve.com/index.html - broken link), which are in North Central Dallas and are in suburban areas brimming with single family homes and brand new construction (not to mention much wealthier areas than West Plano). Those apartments are as new or newer than anything in Legacy and will be just as quiet (if not a bit quieter since there is no retail at the bottom of the buildings). But they're closer to the hotspots when you want to drive there -- and you'll actually meet people under 40 without kids.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 05-25-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM

207 posts, read 506,405 times
The Grand Reserve in North Central Dallas is also a great suggestion and so is Tribeca in West Plano.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Yeah, they have a Wal-Mart in West Plano now off the Dallas North Tollway around Parker I think.
yep. I shop there occasionally. Its a nice walmart too. Pretty good mexican restaurant in the parking lot too. Los Cucos.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:13 PM

419 posts, read 998,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Dallas proper is almost exclusively suburban, outside of a few neighborhoods bordering downtown. That is often missed by people who choose the Dallas suburbs. In fact, Plano is denser than Dallas per square mile. In Dallas, tens of thousands of apartment units were torn down in the last decade and replaced with brand new state-of-the-art apartments. The areas are safe, suburban and very well landscaped.

In West Plano, 40 is considered "young." If someone is single up there, it is because they are divorced, which comes with baggage that you don't need at your age. I don't think you'll actually like living there. The women that you would meet at the grocery stores or gyms will have 2.3 kids -- and most of the time they'll be married or otherwise attached. Everything is centered around kids -- even the singles scene because the "singles" have kids.

Look in The Village in Dallas. That way you'll be around people your own age, but not on top of any bars. There are beautiful walking trails under 50-year-old live oak trees lining every 20 feet of the development, pristine landscaping, apartment buildings that were built in the last couple years, and they're building a Wal-Mart across the street on Northwest Highway! (There is already lots of Starbucks.) Plus, you will be closer to the bars when you want to go there (and you will). There are also lots of grocery stores and retail to walk to once you're outside of the Village.

Also, check out Caruth Place, The Avery and the Grand Reserve (http://livegrandreserve.com/index.html - broken link), which are in North Central Dallas and are in suburban areas brimming with single family homes and brand new construction (not to mention much wealthier areas than West Plano). Those apartments are as new or newer than anything in Legacy and will be just as quiet (if not a bit quieter since there is no retail at the bottom of the buildings). But they're closer to the hotspots when you want to drive there -- and you'll actually meet people under 40 without kids.
+1. Dallas has everything you're looking for. You can check out West Plano for a contrast, but you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't check out Dallas. It's got plenty of brand-spanking new apartments in very exclusive neighborhoods where everything is sparkling, brand new and very safe. You'll be closer to the extensive walking trails in Dallas as well -- especially White Rock Lake, the Katy Trail and the Santa Fe Trail. Dallas proper is mainly suburban. You just have to look for neighborhoods instead of city boundaries. Check it out.

Last edited by HOAPRESIDENT; 05-26-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
there are lots of walking trails in plano.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
I'd suggest looking in Addison and Uptown as well. Unless you have kids you want in for the schools, I'd say you'd end up happier somewhere other than "West" Plano.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
You should also be aware that newer apartments tend to have thinner walls and less insulation than older ones, i.e. you're more likely to hear your neighbors in new construction than in older units. There are exceptions on either side, but this rule generally holds true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: