Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,808 times

Advertisements

We'll be leaving first weekend of July. It's us the parents and four young children. I expect we will stop somewhere overnight but have no idea where. Any advice you can impart would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM

812 posts, read 2,185,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
We'll be leaving first weekend of July. It's us the parents and four young children. I expect we will stop somewhere overnight but have no idea where. Any advice you can impart would be great!
try mapquest or googlemaps

Not only will you get directions, but I'm sure they will point out places to stay along the way

Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
If you can come over form Denver on I-70 and then up I-15, then you can see some of Utah. The largest open-pit mine in the world is just outside Salt Lake City. It is visible from space without a telescope and you can peer down into it from the top. Go up to Park City where the Sundance Festival is held in the winter. Charming old mining town.

I-15 runs along the base of the Wasatch Mtns and it is a pretty drive.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
try mapquest or googlemaps

Not only will you get directions, but I'm sure they will point out places to stay along the way
Yeap, I've done that. I am hoping to get some tips from people who have already driven. Thanks for your post.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you can come over form Denver on I-70 and then up I-15, then you can see some of Utah. The largest open-pit mine in the world is just outside Salt Lake City. It is visible from space without a telescope and you can peer down into it from the top. Go up to Park City where the Sundance Festival is held in the winter. Charming old mining town.

I-15 runs along the base of the Wasatch Mtns and it is a pretty drive.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Going to Utah would be really nice particularly since my husband has family over there. Unfortunately for us, my husband is working in the Northern Virginia area so since it is the summer, we'll be staying over there for a few weeks.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM

574 posts, read 1,479,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you can come over form Denver on I-70 and then up I-15, then you can see some of Utah
I think they are driving to Washington D.C., not Washington state.

Not sure what route you will take, but if it takes you anywhere near Chattanooga, TN you should plan a stop there. They have a wonderful aquarium and IMAX theatre, nice children's museum, a beautiful riverfront area, Coolidge Park with an old-timey carrousel and a very long pedestrian bridge over the river, Ruby Falls and Rock City are nearby as well. If you want to catch some baseball, the minor league Chattanooga Lookouts have a great ballpark right downtown and tix are super cheap. When I lived in GA we would try to make it a few times a year to Chattanooga since there is so much to do.

Best shrimp & grits I ever ate was at Big River Grille Brewery...I can still taste that dish!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
I think the best route is I30 from Dallas to Little Rock. Than I40 from Little Rock to Knoxville, TN. Than I81 from Knoxville to I66 just to the west of Front Royal. From there, it takes you into the city of Washington DC. You travel through many mountains in Tennessee and Virginia. Nice little ride. You'll go through Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Bristol, Blacksburgh, on the outskirts of Roanoke, and the smoky mountains.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
I think they are driving to Washington D.C., not Washington state.

Not sure what route you will take, but if it takes you anywhere near Chattanooga, TN you should plan a stop there. They have a wonderful aquarium and IMAX theatre, nice children's museum, a beautiful riverfront area, Coolidge Park with an old-timey carrousel and a very long pedestrian bridge over the river, Ruby Falls and Rock City are nearby as well. If you want to catch some baseball, the minor league Chattanooga Lookouts have a great ballpark right downtown and tix are super cheap. When I lived in GA we would try to make it a few times a year to Chattanooga since there is so much to do.

Best shrimp & grits I ever ate was at Big River Grille Brewery...I can still taste that dish!
Thanks mami2emily. I know we'll probably be driving through Tennessee so hopefully we'll have time to look at some of those spots-they sound fun.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,017 times
I will add my 2 cents since we moved from NOVA and I have driven out twice since then.
Quote:
I think the best route is I30 from Dallas to Little Rock. Than I40 from Little Rock to Knoxville, TN.
This part is right on...it's our route and we usually stop in Knoxville...it's a long 1 day drive but we try to leave DFW by 5:30 then you clear downtown traffic, Rockwall etc before the morning rush. ( My kids are older, but when we lived on the East and drove to CO we would keep them in thier PJ's until we stopped for breakfast)

Take 81 out of Knoxville (although I hate 81 because of truck traffic..it's the fastest route)
Now this gets tricky are you going to NOVA (what part?) or DC? AVOID 66 in Fairfax county during RUSH AVOID 95. comming in 66 may look quicker more direct but traffic is horrible (it Also becomes HOA only inside 495 during rush hour in and out of DC)
I take 81 up to Winchesteer since I am going to Leesburg etc...
Otherwise if you are going into Fairfax county take 66 to 495...
I also cut over in Charlottsville to 64 and take 29/17 up

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think the best route is I30 from Dallas to Little Rock. Than I40 from Little Rock to Knoxville, TN. Than I81 from Knoxville to I66 just to the west of Front Royal. From there, it takes you into the city of Washington DC. You travel through many mountains in Tennessee and Virginia. Nice little ride. You'll go through Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Bristol, Blacksburgh, on the outskirts of Roanoke, and the smoky mountains.
Thank you Spade. Nice to know that we'll get to see mountains. Haven't driven anywhere with mountains. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I will add my 2 cents since we moved from NOVA and I have driven out twice since then.

This part is right on...it's our route and we usually stop in Knoxville...it's a long 1 day drive but we try to leave DFW by 5:30 then you clear downtown traffic, Rockwall etc before the morning rush. ( My kids are older, but when we lived on the East and drove to CO we would keep them in thier PJ's until we stopped for breakfast)

Take 81 out of Knoxville (although I hate 81 because of truck traffic..it's the fastest route)
Now this gets tricky are you going to NOVA (what part?) or DC? AVOID 66 in Fairfax county during RUSH AVOID 95. comming in 66 may look quicker more direct but traffic is horrible (it Also becomes HOA only inside 495 during rush hour in and out of DC)
I take 81 up to Winchesteer since I am going to Leesburg etc...
Otherwise if you are going into Fairfax county take 66 to 495...
I also cut over in Charlottsville to 64 and take 29/17 up
Thanks 5Stones. We will be staying right north of Dulles airport. We plan on staying at some hotel in Tennessee and then drive the rest of the 2nd day to Reston. I've researched about traffic over there and will try my hardest to avoid 66. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas