Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM

216 posts, read 343,917 times

Advertisements

First off this forum has been sooooo helpful! Ok. So we are in the last stages before listing our house to then move the M-Streets. We've done lots of research and are very excited and then I get this email from a friend of my sister::

"I just spoke to my friend who is moving. She lives in a $560,000 home on Monticello. I asked her why they were moving - The reason they are selling is her neighbor two doors down was walking to her car in her detached garage and was assaulted - by a two guys around 5 pm! Jeepers 5 pm! It was not even dark. *They knocked her down, kicked her and took her purse. **My friend said that in the 7 years they have lived there her car had been broken into 4 times, her windows broken in her home twice, once from someone trying to break in and once *where someone threw a rock into it. She said she WILL not go outside after dark.

Many of the people who live there will down-play the crime, either b/c they are used to it or they themselves are trying to sell their home and get the hell outta there. Also, it's easier to deal with if you don't have kids. You just don't go out in your yard at night - go straight into the house after you get home. And you can kind of ignore the gunshots.before we had kids we would think the gunshots every night were kinda cool.

Below is a link to an interactive map that shows the crime rates in the m-streets: *

m Streets, Dallas, TX Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

Also, this map shows what is reported. There are tons of little thefts, that don't even get reported to the police. Like when our hedge trimmers or lawnmower got stollen. We didn't even report.

We have tons of friends that live in Dallas still. The younger ones - without kids - sure, *they think it's cool. Who cares about gunshots crime, whatever. It does not phase them. The ones who are starting families or have small children are dying to get out. They are moving to suburbs. Many are moving out to Rockwall or Richardson.

Many of my clients are located in the nice areas of Lakewood. CAP Center is on Junius and DCAC is on Swiss. when I visit them they tell me horror stories of being assaulted, or having their cars broken into - and this is during business hours.

I just don't want anyone else to get into that kind of situation we were. It was horrible - and this is from two people who grew up living in the big city. We thought it would be the perfect fun, artsy place to live but it's just not. "

Somy question is - is this really what it is like?? Talk about a bubble burster. I guess I need some guidance. I don't want to move my 5 yr old to an area she can't play in.

Thanks in advance guys.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 61,565 times
Hello! We just moved to the M-Streets a few months ago from out of state and honestly will be moving when the lease is up due to that exact reason. 2 weeks ago at 2am there was a car that came screeching down our street and 2 thugs jumped out and stated they had just been maced. Thank goodness there were no cars on the street or they would have been wiped out. The detectives pulled multiple items from the car and the car was then impounded. For some reason I couldn't find a record of it or a news article. Hmmmmm.... Then both my fiance and I heard from different people that there was a "drug deal that went bad" at the gas station in front of Kroger (Mockingbird & Greenville). Again no report anywhere or news article. Hmmmmm... I think they try to hide the crime that happens because it is "The M-Streets". I had our security system activated and all our neighbors have one too. When I have to leave for the hospital at 5am, my fiance wakes up just to makes sure I make it to my car OK. (I can't park in the garage since my SUV is to big or I would in a second.)
I would def think it over a second and/or third time. I would def not raise young children around here.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
A friend from high school lives in the M-streets. She describes them as overpriced, overrated, and crime-ridden. She has had her back door booted in twice in 2 years, her car broken into multiple times, and a neighbor from hades who parties all hours of the night and the police won't do a thing.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 61,565 times
Definitely agree with the above statement.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,924 times
Sad but true. the proof is on the dpd website.The M streets /Lakewood are surrounded by sketchy areas of Dallas.Trees and unique 1940's homes are not worth the crime or premium.it is going to be difficult to weed out the sketchy areas that surround....

Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 PM

256 posts, read 448,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenG1974 View Post
Many of my clients are located in the nice areas of Lakewood. CAP Center is on Junius and DCAC is on Swiss. when I visit them they tell me horror stories of being assaulted, or having their cars broken into - and this is during business hours.
Good grief. I live in Lakewood and have never been assaulted. You will have minor property crime anywhere, but I can tell you I feel far safer in my community full of people out walking and biking, in a street where everyone knows each other, where the neighbors are alert and interested, than in some sterile neighborhood where people wouldn't know their neighbors if they fell over them.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM

621 posts, read 1,332,993 times
yea that whole area has gone down hill. Living anywhere around there is like hanging a target on your back

Move out, i'd rather commute than put my family and myself in danger

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Why not get a CHL? I have one and carry most of the time and I know a handgun is not a panacea for all crime. I also know a CHL/handgun is a reactionary/emotional/political no go for a lot of people. That said if you can handle it the peace of mind is an awesome thing.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas