Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 AM

69 posts, read 144,635 times

Advertisements

What is IB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 AM

425 posts, read 996,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntz View Post
What is IB?
International Baccalaureate

International education - The International Baccalaureate offers high quality programmes of education to a worldwide community of schools

Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,376 times
Default Kudos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntz View Post
[SIZE=3]I thank you all for your replies and I truly appreciate your suggestions. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When I say I can afford to buy a house up to $350,000; I am talking Cash Money. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Something is wrong with us (Americans), and that’s exactly why we are in this current situation. The bank qualified us for up to $900,000 loan, but again, I will have to spend the next 15 to 20 years paying off the balance (roughly $550,000). With that said, I will be enriching the bank, while I am depleting my bank account.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I need a house I can afford cash. My wife and I don’t follow the crowd by buying more than we can afford. We have 2 fully paid cars, no credits cards debt, living totally debt free, and we have over $430,000 in savings. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Can we all do that and stop giving all our money to the Big Guys (banks)?[/SIZE]
My husband and I think exactly the same. We buy slightly used cars since they depreciate so much after they go out of the dealer, and we pay only cash. We have never had a car loan. Our house in Austin is paid in full, but we do have a mortgage on the one here in ABQ.

In my Plano neighborhood, I saw so many people driving BMW's, Mercedes, etc. and then getting foreclosed on. People don't know how to live within their means--especially when you never know when a rainy day comes along. I have a friend who is a banker, and he told me you would never guess who a lot of millionaires are since many of them live simple lives, and many of those who have all the bling are in debt up to their ears.

If people didn't worry about keeping up with the Joneses and lived like you, our country would be in much less trouble right now!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:49 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Yeah, I hope his use of the verb "can" was intended very liberally. An affluent black family can live anywhere any affluent family can live. But he may be surprised that $350k for a home is not considered affluent in DFW. Richardson has plenty of minority families. But its a non-starter as far commute times go.
According to statistics, somebody making only about 120,k a year or more is in the top ten percent of income earners in the US.

See this link: How Much Money Do The Top Income Earners Make By Percentage? | Financial Samurai

People making more than about 350k are in the top 1%.

I would say that homes in the 350k range are affluent by most people's standards especially in DFW where housing is very inexpensive.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
According to statistics, somebody making only about 120,k a year or more is in the top ten percent of income earners in the US.

See this link: How Much Money Do The Top Income Earners Make By Percentage? | Financial Samurai

People making more than about 350k are in the top 1%.

I would say that homes in the 350k range are affluent by most people's standards especially in DFW where housing is very inexpensive.
It's all local.

But a hearty Hell yeah on the used car purchase (look at the depriciation on new Mercedes AMG's if you want a Halloween scare)

$350k gets you maybe a 1 bedroom condo in Park Cities if you're lucky. And I doubt if many would call a guy living in a 1 bedroom condo behind Whole Foods and Lemmon affluent. $350k a year puts you top 2%, Top 1% is 500k a year, but we're splitting atoms here.

Income Percentiles 2011

I'm sure most would love to pay cash for their home. It's not practical for most.

Also depending on how your mortgage is structured, taxes and interest written off plus if the price of private school offset it may not be the best thing to buy what you can only pay cash for.

It's deader than disco but if you want to do great public school education (magnets in Dallas aside) you're looking at Southlake, Coppel, HPISD. But those houses ain't cheap. So you move to say Euless, easy living and the like. You get a grand home for $300k but you're dropping $20k a year per kid and for 3 kids that's 60k a year x 12, or 720k lost + the price of your home. So if you move in 12 years you sell your place for 300k, private school money lost. But if you'd bought in Southlake and paid 800k, hopefully you get that 800k back.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 PM

425 posts, read 996,189 times
If you don't want the ritziest home in town, you can get a house in Southlake for $320k.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
If you don't want the ritziest home in town, you can get a house in Southlake for $320k.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Too rich for my blood, I like the city.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntastic08 View Post
Sunnyvale, Texas! PM me any questions, I live there
Come on y'all...the OP's job is in Lancaster...let's keep that in mind. Who wants to spend half the day in the car?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntastic08 View Post
Sunnyvale, Texas! PM me any questions, I live there

Sunnyvale is not a bad choice..

Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Come on y'all...the OP's job is in Lancaster...let's keep that in mind. Who wants to spend half the day in the car?
Depends on the car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas