Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 10,505 times

Advertisements

I know its hard for a new grad to get a job in Dallas...but how bad is it for someone with 1 year NICU experience. My husband and I are looking to relocate to dallas with our 3 kids...but a job is must. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 AM

333 posts, read 1,022,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner1986 View Post
I know its hard for a new grad to get a job in Dallas...but how bad is it for someone with 1 year NICU experience. My husband and I are looking to relocate to dallas with our 3 kids...but a job is must. Any thoughts???
Assuming you have no restrictions on your license, and you are in good standing with your current employer, you will have NO issues at all finding a job with 1 yr NICU. If I were in your shoes, I would apply at Childrens Hospital and Baylor University Med Center.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 AM

812 posts, read 2,185,208 times
Think about Grayson County. It's on the TX/OK border about an hour north of Dallas. I was at an event this weekend and the speaker said our county has the highest average age in Texas. My wife is going to nursing school at Grayson College. Health care is booming here. Folks from DFW retire, sell their home and move here for the outdoor amenities, cheap housing, zippo traffic, nice people, slower pace, every store you'd ever need. It might be good for you, unless you must live in the Metroplex.

Search the Internet for nursing jobs DFW. I'm sure someone else in this blog will be able to come up with a web site to search for nursing gigs. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 AM

50 posts, read 95,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
Think about Grayson County. It's on the TX/OK border about an hour north of Dallas. I was at an event this weekend and the speaker said our county has the highest average age in Texas. My wife is going to nursing school at Grayson College. Health care is booming here. Folks from DFW retire, sell their home and move here for the outdoor amenities, cheap housing, zippo traffic, nice people, slower pace, every store you'd ever need. It might be good for you, unless you must live in the Metroplex.
I was going to suggest the same. There are many RN's and MD's working at Texoma Medical Center who live in McKinney and Frisco. That hospital is always hiring because of their recent expantions. In 2012 they will be adding a large NICU unit and on site 24 hour daycare for staff who works there.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM

How long is the commute to texoma?? from frisco

Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 AM

50 posts, read 95,138 times
Quote:
How long is the commute to texoma?? from frisco
It is a 45 minute commute against the flow of the traffic. To McKinney it is a 30 min commute. But there are many people driving from those areas, so car-pooling would always be an option too.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks...Im willing to work in a doctors office or school nurse...Is there a need for RN in the doctora office setting in the frisco/mckinney area??

Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM

11,859 posts, read 26,899,645 times
Most doctors' offices use LVNs or Medical Assistants. RNs are more expensive, and with many of the hospitals doing the "magnet status" the LVNs are much easier to find.

If you have NICU experience, definitely look at both Children's in Dallas and Cook Children's in Fort Worth, and at Baylor UMC in Dallas. There are not major hospitals in Frisco or McKinney.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,684,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Most doctors' offices use LVNs or Medical Assistants. RNs are more expensive, and with many of the hospitals doing the "magnet status" the LVNs are much easier to find.

If you have NICU experience, definitely look at both Children's in Dallas and Cook Children's in Fort Worth, and at Baylor UMC in Dallas. There are not major hospitals in Frisco or McKinney.
Baylor Mckinney Hospital is opening on 6/2012. You should apply there before it fills up.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM

333 posts, read 1,022,266 times
Quote:
Thanks...Im willing to work in a doctors office or school nurse...Is there a need for RN in the doctora office setting in the frisco/mckinney area??
No. If this is the type of position you will be pursuing you will have a much more difficult time. I assumed when you said NICU you would be looking for a hospital position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas