Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,360 times

Advertisements

I don't want to shop at Walmart, beloved forum members. The reasons for this are numerous with the main one being that I really don't think it is in this nation's best interest to have a trillion dollar company. And, yes, I do have issues.
Another reason is the new Super Mercardos they are planning on building. I can't look at a Walmart without seeing a Super Mercardo so, for me, this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
While trying my damnedest to shop at places like Family Dollar and Dollar General, I still find myself having to go to Walmart to buy things. I feel really dirty afterwards.
I recently read a thread in here about a new German grocery outlet called Aldis expanding in the area and you can certainlty consider me to be one of their new customers. Is Trader Joes a good alternative to shopping at Walmart? Someone mentioned them also.
Is Costco a better alternative to Sams?
I have learned something myself. If you want clearance items, never go to Walmart. Instead, go to places like Home Depot and Loews. Man, in comparison, they have real clearance prices!
I would like to write a book on how not to shop at Walmart or Sams. I've also thought about starting a class where students attend an actual Wal-Mart to just stand around doing nothing learning how not to buy things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,630 times
uhh, how about, oh i don't know....... not living near one!!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,646 times
Walmart is not always cheaper...often items on sale at grocery stores (Krogers, Tom Thumb, etc) are much cheaper than Walmart "already low" price. But it takes some legwork on your part. You have to look at the ads online, and see what is on sale where. When you find a great deal, stock up. Plus coupons are often found in the weekly flyer in your mail or online. By watching where and when I shop (and using coupons when I have them), I've gotten some great deals...for example, I almost never pay more then $1.50 for a box of cereal.

IMO, Costco is better than Sams for selection and quality. Haven't been to Aldi yet, but as I understand it, they sell more generic products, not the typical brands.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:08 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
There are plenty of options, for those who are willing. I know Kroger and Tom Thumb will double and triple coupons up to a certain amount. There are stores like Big Lots that specialize in closeout items, and even regular stores are constantly closing out and discontinuing products and will frequently mark them down to get them off the shelf.

Many stores will also mark down perishables like milk and meat a day or two before they go out, personally I would not buy something about to expire, but to each his own.

If you are really willing to put time and effort into being thrifty is is possible to get items for free or almost free. Shop at the said stores who double and triple coupons, use the coupons on sale items, and you can get out for cheap. I have six bottles of dial handsoap that i got free, they were on sale for a dollar and i had a 35 cent coupon that tripled making them free. I also got about a years worth of dishwasher detergent free through a similar method.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,093 times
We don't have a Trader Joes here. I prefer CostCo to Sams but have to be careful what I buy as I don't have much storage space. For other groceries, I shop at Kroger. Aldi's are new in the area, I have not been to one. What do you buy at Walmart that you can't find other places?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
GOOD, I have never shopped at a WALMART nor does my family. We feel WALMART has done more harm to America than osama ever will. Don't go there, shop at other stores. This may cost you a little money but you will have the satisfaction of not selling out your country. I it is WAMART or nothing, I'll do without.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
DH and I also boycott Wal-Mart for several reasons. I agree that many other grocery stores are actually cheaper, especially if you use coupons. We shop at Kroger and Target, and we have a Costco membership. (Costco is MUCH better than Sam's!!)

Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,546 times
I am never going to LOVE shopping at Walmart. The FACT is, they employ THOUSANDS (if not a million) of AMERICANS. Based on the news every night, I can imagine that most of them are happy to be employed. So yes, you can avoid shopping at every store that pisses you off, every store that has morals different than your but there is consequences for this. Big boxes left in your community can sit empty. People can potential loose there jobs when we avoid shopping, look at how well that has worked for us. I haven't even touched on the fact that not everyone can afford beautiful grocery stores to feed their family organic food. Walmart allow the consumer dollar to go much further than say Kroger (even with triple coupons).

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Sams has considerably less prices on most of the things I buy than Costco so I let my Costco membership expire. Why do you have to go to Walmart? Go to Super Target, or is that store too big for you too? Aldi has really bad imported food. A friend bought their hotdogs because they were so cheap, and she couldn't even eat them...

Old 09-01-2010, 06:59 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,241 times
Costco is an excellent alternative. Not only do they have many fine products (their cheese ravioli is better than in most restaurants) but they have a reputation for treating their employees very well and that in turn seems to make them very responsive to their customers. The bonuses are the inexpensive eats as you leave the store and the discount liquor store on site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas