Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by styron View Post

If I may be frank here - and I'm trying not to say anything TOO negative about schools that other people love and are loyal to - our elementary schools have been good, for what they are, but have had some shortfalls, and I mostly blame the State of Texas for those. There have been a lot of teacher cuts. There have been a lot of library cuts, and I think there will be more program and services cuts, and I think it is cutting into muscle....Maybe it all washes out in the end, but it's very unsettling to see for right now.
I'm not even that polite - I don't blame some abstract "State of Texas" - I blame our elected officials. And this is coming from a lifelong Republican. They completely ****ed over the public schools with their last-second pullback of funds. I've seen similar detrimental effects at the MS level, and I'm sure I'll see it at the HS level as well. Toss in how they made it impossible for PISD taxpayers to make up the missing funds, even if they wanted to, and I'm one PO'ed voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 PM

44 posts, read 103,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I think the MathRocks program is a great opportunity. I have two neighbors that have their kids in it at Brinker. I forget what MS the West Cluster MathRocks kids will go to from there, but it's definitely NOT Frankford. The HS program (which starts in pilot form this fall) will be at Jasper for 2012-2013, but the rumor mill says they'll relocate it to the STEAM magnet opening in 2013-2014.
We got the Math Rocks letter today and haven't had time to react, and we don't know much about it at all. I don't know if they will make room for my other children so we don't have to split up the family. It is so confusing! I am having a very hard time with this school decision, as you can see.

Well, it's good to have options though!

What I would say overall is: 1 - Plano ISD, in some of the non-star schools, has been good but not great. 2 - If my kids weren't in the PACE program and getting that supplementation, I would be very worried about them getting "lost in the middle." 3 - The budget cuts have hurt a lot. The teachers are so strapped and being asked to do way too much. 4 - I don't think, from my experience, the large class sizes are an advantage, although I appreciate that others feel differently. Program cuts kill a lot of that advantage.

I feel like the kids need another route, either out of the district or into a STEM/magnet/MRocks sort of pipeline.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
I have a friend that used to teach in HP, and she says that the HP schools are busting at the seams and have no where to build. If overcrowding bothers you, then HP might not be a good fit.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I have a friend that used to teach in HP, and she says that the HP schools are busting at the seams and have no where to build. If overcrowding bothers you, then HP might not be a good fit.
We have fiends with kids at several HP schools. Most of them are crowded. That said there is a big difference between overcrowding in HP/UP and say Detroit or inner city Houston.

To the OP I'd stay put.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I'm not even that polite - I don't blame some abstract "State of Texas" - I blame our elected officials. And this is coming from a lifelong Republican. They completely ****ed over the public schools with their last-second pullback of funds. I've seen similar detrimental effects at the MS level, and I'm sure I'll see it at the HS level as well. Toss in how they made it impossible for PISD taxpayers to make up the missing funds, even if they wanted to, and I'm one PO'ed voter.
Half of your local tax dollars go to "poor" school districts that spend more per pupil than PISD. All those "taxes" you vote for really just send the $$ out of the district. PISD and HP in particular send half their taxes out of the district.

The ISDs are stretched between growing populations in the district, growing populations outside the district, and then the real estate recession landed in the middle of it.

The urban professionals bear the financial cross for all of this while the urban poor and middle class get screwed.

This pact was made to ensure that the growing Hispanic population was properly educated. Is it working? Yes.

Longterm, as well. The solutions to this are underway, but it will take 5-10 years for all the infrastructure projects to get in place along the Gulf Coast and Valley AND for those young populations to become taxpayers so the "poor" districts can generate enough revenue to sustain themselves.

A little bit of pain now and things will be A LOT better after the next session and MUCH better the following.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Half of your local tax dollars go to "poor" school districts that spend more per pupil than PISD. All those "taxes" you vote for really just send the $$ out of the district. PISD and HP in particular send half their taxes out of the district.

The ISDs are stretched between growing populations in the district, growing populations outside the district, and then the real estate recession landed in the middle of it.

The urban professionals bear the financial cross for all of this while the urban poor and middle class get screwed.

This pact was made to ensure that the growing Hispanic population was properly educated. Is it working? Yes.

Longterm, as well. The solutions to this are underway, but it will take 5-10 years for all the infrastructure projects to get in place along the Gulf Coast and Valley AND for those young populations to become taxpayers so the "poor" districts can generate enough revenue to sustain themselves.

A little bit of pain now and things will be A LOT better after the next session and MUCH better the following.
Or you could nuke our current funding system, get rid of property taxes for ISDs, and have a state income tax instead.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Or you could nuke our current funding system, get rid of property taxes for ISDs, and have a state income tax instead.

HA!!! Income tax??? Never happen.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM

325 posts, read 757,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
HA!!! Income tax??? Never happen.
Property tax reform, hmm? California went that route with Prop 13. Big feel good movement at first. Not working out so well right now....

Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Or not.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
You could always see if your kids could test into a Dallas Magnet school, it's a bit of a battle but it has been done (albeit rarely) in the past.

That said, these threads usually devolve into abject city-bashing.

All things being even, the talented 10th type kid- is usually fine wherever they are- it's the kids in the middle the get the most out of enrichment programs and the like. That said, the drop-off from top-10 students to everyone else is much bigger in schools with IB programs vs. schools that are alot more homogeneous due to the real-estate self selection that's already taken place. (say HP or St. Mark's)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas