Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 AM

270 posts, read 587,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
I'd like to point out just a few things.

Do any of you know where the largest Urban Forrest on Planet Earth is? It's in Dallas.

Have any idea what lies about 90 minutes East of Dallas? That would be the 10% of Texas that's Forrest.

Did you know that you can hop on an airplane in DFW and be on some of the best beaches on EARTH and the Rocky Mountains in 90 minutes? I mean it is the 21st Century and we thus have access to multiple forms of transport. I'm trying to think of how a road-trip to the coast or Asheville is somehow more pleasant than a First Class FLight to South Padre or Cancun or Denver?

I've been to NC and NC is nice, but anything you can do in NC you can do in Texas.

@ WhoDat2011..You might want to go to a few 12-Step meetings. If you can go to the 4th Largest Metropolitan Area in the US and the only interesting activities you can think of for singles or married people involve booze you have issues.
Hahaha. That's hilarious.. So because I think Dallas is boring, then I need to go to 12-step meetings? LOL. That's so Dallas. Bigger does not necessarily mean better. Now while I don't want to live in a town of 5,000 people, I don't really care to be in a place as huge as the Metroplex either.

The bottom line is this... D/FW is huge and I recognize that. Sure that may have been cool when I was 25, as a married man with a baby, I prefer a city that has a little more family appeal to it. Moderator cut: See note We have a vandalism problem that is hitting both Plano and Carrollton now, and we are growing way too quickly with non-professionals. Traditional familes are pushed further and further into the suburbs. While the Rangers are my favorite baseball team, that's considered a great time for families in Dallas. Well in Plano, that's a 40-45 mile trip one way.

I've said my peace. I've appreciated the opportunities here I've gained professionally. But for a married person, there are better choices than here if opportunities are presented. With that being said, I would probably put Dallas in the top 25 cities I would live, so I'm not saying that this is a bad place to live, or else I wouldn't be here. My point is that I would rather be elsewhere.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-16-2012 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Off-Topic for this thread and forum

Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
I'd like to point out just a few things.

Do any of you know where the largest Urban Forrest on Planet Earth is? It's in Dallas.

Have any idea what lies about 90 minutes East of Dallas? That would be the 10% of Texas that's Forrest.

Did you know that you can hop on an airplane in DFW and be on some of the best beaches on EARTH and the Rocky Mountains in 90 minutes? I mean it is the 21st Century and we thus have access to multiple forms of transport. I'm trying to think of how a road-trip to the coast or Asheville is somehow more pleasant than a First Class FLight to South Padre or Cancun or Denver?

I've been to NC and NC is nice, but anything you can do in NC you can do in Texas.

@ WhoDat2011..You might want to go to a few 12-Step meetings. If you can go to the 4th Largest Metropolitan Area in the US and the only interesting activities you can think of for singles or married people involve booze you have issues.
Not everyone can afford to fly themselves and their families first class to premier destinations.
North Carolina is beautiful and has better beach access, DFW isn't beautiful and the beach is a long drive or a flight. However, DFW is larger and cheaper to live.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Keep in mind this is coming from a married woman w/kids who adores autumn.

I love Texas, but I'd choose NC. The cost of living is similar enough, and the proximity to ocean, mountains, and the general eastern seaboard is enticing. And they have SEASONS! Goodness would I kill for a real live autumn..

That being said, I'd only be ok in the major cities or Asheville. I'd love to live in Asheville.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Keep in mind this is coming from a married woman w/kids who adores autumn.

I love Texas, but I'd choose NC. The cost of living is similar enough, and the proximity to ocean, mountains, and the general eastern seaboard is enticing. And they have SEASONS! Goodness would I kill for a real live autumn..

That being said, I'd only be ok in the major cities or Asheville. I'd love to live in Asheville.
Asheville is beautiful for its mountain views, but it is an armpit for its large percentage of backwards, uneducated, left-wing liberal people, with an entitlement mentality, and incest/inbreeding.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Asheville is beautiful for its mountain views, but it is an armpit for its large percentage of backwards, uneducated, left-wing liberal people, with an entitlement mentality, and incest/inbreeding.
Wouldn't that actually make it heaven for all the "backwards, uneducated, left-wing liberal people, with an entitlement mentality, and incest/inbreeding" folks of the world?

Hell, for all of the beautiful scenery, weather, and history of Asheville, I'm sure lots of folks would gladly change their name to Bubba, snatch up their cute second-cousin, and head off to North Carolina in a Ford Bronco, leaving Dallas in the dust.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weste...thread-13.html

Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM

28 posts, read 64,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
My wife and i now lived in florida and we are thinking of moving to an other state. We like north Carolina for its mile winters and better economy. My wife friend just move to dallas and seems to like it there. We did some research on NC but don't know a lot about Dallas tx. We have a middle school kid so a good middle school district is a must. We would like to live in a area with a downtown main street shopping area. We are going to rent before we buy just to get the feel for the place. We live in Florida so the hot weather is not an issue. Any and all feed back would be welcome.
I have lived in Durham NC and in the DFW area both. NC is filled with trees, and does have closer proximity to the mountains and beaches. It is a really pretty state. However, the school systems are iffy depending on locale. There are still some southern rascism issues there, and the state government is solidly tea party. There is the state income tax, roads are not the best, they even tax your pets as personal property, which I thought was ridiculous, and there is no good Mexican or TexMex food anywhere. There are seasons, and the summers aren't as hot as anywhere in Texas. College basketball is king.

There are several choices in the DFW area to live, so people can not generalize as to the feel of the whole section of North Texas. Each part of the metroplex has its own character, and quality of schools, life etc. Traffic is bad at rush hour all through the metroplex, the summer heat is a major drawback(100+ temps for the majority of three months), and there are pockets of high crime as there is in any major metro area. There are many natural recreational areas to visit, lots of cultural activities and the airport does serve as a major hub, so if you do travel, that is a plus. The area is prairie land so it is flat, mountains are way west, the forest region is around 3 to 4 hours east,the ocean a good 6 to 8 hours south. There is no state income tax, the state government is solidly Republican, not quite as tea party, but close. Football is king.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times

MOD Note:

The OP has had plenty of input and thread has run its course.

Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas