Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Have a look at the Shops at Legacy area of Plano. Lots of single 40-somethings. Bars, clubs, places to eat, etc.

If you are interested in Plano, you should be able to get what you want at the Shops.
Agree. Also check out Austin Ranch off Windhaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,256 times
Health clubs. You get health benefits, loose weight, and if you can chat up someone you just might meet someone. Ask someone for help with a machine.

When I was in my 20s I was desperate to meet a woman. Zippo. At 30 I said "I don't give a sh*t" and sure enough I got married at 33. I think the "desperation stink" got washed away at 30.

The other thing to do is get involved with something where the odds are in your favor, like, my namesake, golf.

Don't be afraid of Dallas, it's a great place. Traffic stinks however, and just about every square inch of highway is under construction.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
Thank you both for the replies ;-) I guess I should venture into some other areas and check them out. I just liked the look of Plano apartment complexes and don't like the noise of living in an urban area. It's true though that I may feel more isolated in a suburb that is full of families. Anytime I read about someone suggesting an urban area it's so they can enjoy the nightlife. I will check those other areas, thank you!
I have nothing to contribute, but what do you mean by "noise"? I consider Plano to have far more "noise" than most of Dallas. But maybe I'm judging a different characteristic...

Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
It's hard to believe but it can be dead quiet in city neighborhoods like Lakewood. It is probably the largest contiguous neighborhood in Texas with no major streets or traffic lights. We have lanes that seem to be out in the country near White Rock Lake. I also think of Plano as hectic with too much traffic.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM

281 posts, read 643,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
I have nothing to contribute, but what do you mean by "noise"? I consider Plano to have far more "noise" than most of Dallas. But maybe I'm judging a different characteristic...
I have almost always lived in quiet suburbs or rural areas. The one time I thought it would be "quaint" to live two or three blocks from a downtown area on a street I thought wasn't used very much, it was horrible. Mostly because I wasn't used to it, but I later learned it was on a bus route and the sound of the traffic really got to me. I guess I assume that's how any area near downtown would be.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Quote:
I have almost always lived in quiet suburbs or rural areas. The one time I thought it would be "quaint" to live two or three blocks from a downtown area on a street I thought wasn't used very much, it was horrible. Mostly because I wasn't used to it, but I later learned it was on a bus route and the sound of the traffic really got to me. I guess I assume that's how any area near downtown would be.
Then you might want to disregard the posts suggesting Uptown and/or Oak Lawn. Much of that is directly beneath the jet path for Love Field. There's an almost constant 'noise' of jets landing or taking off/landing. Wind direction dependent. It may be more tolerable in 'North Oak Lawn'. It was never a problem for me, I just think of it as adventure.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
When we lived in east Dallas, we were between a busy railroad track, Doctors Hospital, and a fire station. Needless to say, our nights were never quiet! After a few months, we learned to sleep through it all. Guests at our house, however, were warned in advance!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
With this info, I would recommend looking in Lakewood "proper" which is bound by White Rock Lake to the east, Mockingbird to the north, Abrams to the west, and Gaston to the south. It is by far the largest contiguous neighborhood in the city of Dallas without a traffic light. As you get towards the lake, the "wood" part of Lakewood becomes apparent. Lots of winding "country" lanes with a canopy of trees overhead just 10 minutes from downtown and all the arts/ culture / excitement you may occasionally want. Lakewood is quiet, not traffic-y (as none of the streets are "cut throughs" between major arteries like in the E Dallas neighborhoods closer to 75). You can see the stars and sleep peacefully as no bus routes, police/fire stations, bars / commercial businesses/ etc are found in Lakewood "proper". Lakewood Village and Hillside Village are both within a 1-5 minute drive (or leisurely bike ride), but not in your backyard.

If you want to look the area up using Google Street View, check out these general addresses/blocks for a feel of the neighborhood:

7200 Fisher Road 75214
3525 W Lawther 75214
7200 Alexander 75214
6904 Tokalon 75214
7307 Lakewood Blvd 75214
6511 Anita 75214

Those addresses give you a broad overview of the neighborhood - from the lake to Tokalon's lovely early 20th century mansions on acreage to the cute cottages on Anita, it's a wonderful community neighborhood that will make you forget how close you are to downtown!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM

38 posts, read 67,226 times
Shops at Legacy is a good option. You can get a newer apartment or condo with amenities for reasonable price and be near Lake Lwesville, Arbor Hill, Stone Briar, Willowbend, tons of dining etc. I've heard it from many single friends that it's the IT area to mingle with educated & affluent 40 ish single/divorced people.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM

67 posts, read 171,833 times
TXRed, I'm demographically the same as you are, and rented an apartment for 2 weeks in Uptown this summer to check it out. I thought Uptown was fabulous! I PM'ed you, would love to talk, meet for coffee (I currently live in Reno).

Plano is the 'burbs, and seemed boring to me (no offense to anyone here who lives in Plano, okay?) as a single gal. I want to live in the area bounded on the north by Northwest Highway, by Love Airport on the west, White Rock Lake on the east, and the Farmer's Market area to the south. I think that area is great for single gals; lots of stuff to do, Katy Trail to run, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: