Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM

67 posts, read 171,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eotellini View Post
I moved here in August. I am single, soon to be 40, no children, professional with a good salary. I am hoping once I get a bit situated I will get out and start meeting people with similar interest.
Eotellini, what part of town did you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
With this info, I would recommend looking in Lakewood "proper" which is bound by White Rock Lake to the east, Mockingbird to the north, Abrams to the west, and Gaston to the south. It is by far the largest contiguous neighborhood in the city of Dallas without a traffic light. As you get towards the lake, the "wood" part of Lakewood becomes apparent. Lots of winding "country" lanes with a canopy of trees overhead just 10 minutes from downtown and all the arts/ culture / excitement you may occasionally want. Lakewood is quiet, not traffic-y (as none of the streets are "cut throughs" between major arteries like in the E Dallas neighborhoods closer to 75). You can see the stars and sleep peacefully as no bus routes, police/fire stations, bars / commercial businesses/ etc are found in Lakewood "proper". Lakewood Village and Hillside Village are both within a 1-5 minute drive (or leisurely bike ride), but not in your backyard.

If you want to look the area up using Google Street View, check out these general addresses/blocks for a feel of the neighborhood:

7200 Fisher Road 75214
3525 W Lawther 75214
7200 Alexander 75214
6904 Tokalon 75214
7307 Lakewood Blvd 75214
6511 Anita 75214

Those addresses give you a broad overview of the neighborhood - from the lake to Tokalon's lovely early 20th century mansions on acreage to the cute cottages on Anita, it's a wonderful community neighborhood that will make you forget how close you are to downtown!
^great advice as always

Here are videos of those streets and info about the neighborhood:

Unique rentals in east Dallas:
http://www.powerproperties.com/AllListings.htm

To be fair here is one with Plano and clips of the Shops At Legacy:
http://www.youplusdallas.com/stories/photo-file-plano

Fun Dallas neighborhoods definitely worth exploring for entertainment:

Uptown
http://www.youplusdallas.com/stories...own-experience
Bishop Arts District
http://www.youplusdallas.com/stories...-arts-district
Downtown/Klyde Warren Park
http://www.archdaily.com/298385/klyd...james-burnett/
http://www.youplusdallas.com/stories...own-dallas-inc

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 12-05-2012 at 12:21 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 01:07 PM

281 posts, read 643,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Most of the things you listed don't really jive with the city of Plano. There is no lake or river you can bike around. The bowling is best on the east side, and the closest baseball team is in Frisco, which is on the north west side. Not all that convenient...

I'd aim for someplace around White Rock Lake in Dallas if I were you - Garland or Dallas itself for White Rock Lake, or Rowlett or Rockwall to be around Lake Ray Hubbard. Either one is great for biking and exploring. The density around all those areas isn't that high either, so it will feel like a suburb rather than a downtown. Maybe even consider living along a DART line in that area, and then you have access to downtown, biking WhiteRock & the Great Trinity Forest, and still have access to shopping, meetups, and the dating life.
Thank you... I guess I have to get used to the idea of living in a big city. I was thinking of just driving to the river or lakes to bike around lol...here I have to go about 45 minutes to get to Tahoe so it's not a big deal to drive to White Rock. Of course as everyone says it will mostly matter where I get a job.

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
With this info, I would recommend looking in Lakewood "proper" which is bound by White Rock Lake to the east, Mockingbird to the north, Abrams to the west, and Gaston to the south. It is by far the largest contiguous neighborhood in the city of Dallas without a traffic light. As you get towards the lake, the "wood" part of Lakewood becomes apparent. Lots of winding "country" lanes with a canopy of trees overhead just 10 minutes from downtown and all the arts/ culture / excitement you may occasionally want. Lakewood is quiet, not traffic-y (as none of the streets are "cut throughs" between major arteries like in the E Dallas neighborhoods closer to 75). You can see the stars and sleep peacefully as no bus routes, police/fire stations, bars / commercial businesses/ etc are found in Lakewood "proper". Lakewood Village and Hillside Village are both within a 1-5 minute drive (or leisurely bike ride), but not in your backyard.

If you want to look the area up using Google Street View, check out these general addresses/blocks for a feel of the neighborhood:

7200 Fisher Road 75214
3525 W Lawther 75214
7200 Alexander 75214
6904 Tokalon 75214
7307 Lakewood Blvd 75214
6511 Anita 75214

Those addresses give you a broad overview of the neighborhood - from the lake to Tokalon's lovely early 20th century mansions on acreage to the cute cottages on Anita, it's a wonderful community neighborhood that will make you forget how close you are to downtown!

That actually sounds amazing, the country lanes with canopy trees! Thanks, I have a lot to explore it appears!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Quote:
I guess I have to get used to the idea of living in a big city.
Well, Plano has 250k residents, so it's not exactly small. Also, it's average population density per sq mile is pretty much the same as Dallas at abouit 3400 people per sq mile. Of course, Dallas has many districts that are much higher than Plano's highest density.

Also it would be much easier and more productive to join a riding club (for many reasons!) if you are riding over to White Rock on your bike as opposed to a 30 minute drive away.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
I'm planning to move to Dallas next year and read these forums quite a bit, but feel so unique that I've never seen any posts from someone like myself. I like the Plano area but do not care about childcare, school districts, activities for children and families etc. I don't go out much, am not into bars or nightlife and have no interest in the downtown area/way of life. So, sounds pretty boring right? lol...I'm wondering if there are any other women (or men too I suppose) who have moved on their own, around my age, with no kids??? Tell me about your experience. I am really afraid to leave my home of 40 years, but after a divorce am so ready to try someplace new (I was born in Dallas though), a new job, new surroundings everything. What did you give up to move to Dallas? Was it worth it? What, if any, regrets do you have? Oh, and I have no family there anymore, just some in Houston.

As far as the things I do like doing, I love exploring new areas, traveling, bike rides along trails next to a river or a lake, bowling, going to the movies, baseball games...I am hoping to meet new friends by joining a Meetup group, Match.com, and hopefully at my new job. Why do I feel like I'm the only one alone any more??? lol

Thanks in advance for any replies ;-)
Boring? No. Actually, I'm quite envious

Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Boring? No. Actually, I'm quite envious
Ha ha yeah, I'm pretty boring but that doesn't mean I hate it! lol...I love my lifestyle but it's kind of hard meeting similar people to do things with. I love the friends I have, and their families, but they never seem to have time for get-togethers. I think I need to break out of my shell and start going out when I move to Dallas! I hadn't set foot in a bar alone as a single woman in 20 years though, maybe a new city will be good for a fresh start!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Well, Plano has 250k residents, so it's not exactly small. Also, it's average population density per sq mile is pretty much the same as Dallas at abouit 3400 people per sq mile. Of course, Dallas has many districts that are much higher than Plano's highest density.

Also it would be much easier and more productive to join a riding club (for many reasons!) if you are riding over to White Rock on your bike as opposed to a 30 minute drive away.
I guess I think of the DFW area as one big city lol...my area consists of two cities and has a population of 425k total, whereas DFW is over 6 million, just hard to grasp lol...but that's what makes it adventurous and it doesn't seem like I'd ever run out of things to do or places to explore!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Lakewood feels like a small town in the big city - probably because it has its own schools, lake (which serves as a huge border on the eastern side (as does Central Expressway somewhat on the west side) and our little 'downtown' at Gaston and Abrams with the Lakewood Theater.

I see single women hanging out at places like Times Ten Winery - just sit at the 'bar' and start talking to the waitstaff (you can ask wine questions if you are stumped for conversation) and nearby patrons, everyone is very friendly.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,359 times
Quote:
Most of the things you listed don't really jive with the city of Plano. There is no lake or river you can bike around.
Sure there are. Ever been to the arbor hills nature preserve?

Quote:
The bowling is best on the east side,
Plenty of bowling within a 10 minute drive.

Quote:
and the closest baseball team is in Frisco, which is on the north west side. Not all that convenient...
Closest yes. but the rangers ballpark is only a 30-40 minute drive which isnt too bad. Its not like you go see rangers games every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: