Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

Try A Wok on Independence just south of Parker in Plano. Order from menu and everything is made fresh and tastes it. Great place worth dinning in as well
Cinderella I dont know the place you mentioned so cant help with your question. But give A Wok a try if you havent already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,669 times
Thank you! I'll try A Wok one of these days. Joy Luck BBQ used to have the best roasted duck and westlake soup. I have tried quite a few places and still haven't had much luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM

80 posts, read 138,163 times
I tried some of the names mentioned here and enjoyed most of them. A Wok was delicious and food felt fresh.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 PM

36 posts, read 71,770 times
We have fallen in love with Chow in Plano @ Parker and the Tollway in the Kroger shopping center. All my friends go there constantly now, too. Amazing fresh veggie/curry dishes and my husband loves their noodle dishes. Samui Thai @ The Shops at Legacy is very nice for a date night, too. Beautiful restaurant and my friend gets takeout from there- they even have a takeout parking space.

OP, you asked for Chinese. I dislike most of it in Plano, but the BEST place is Yao Fuzi at 4757 Park, near Studio Movie Grill. It's tiny and you need reservations if you aren't getting takeout. by far, it's the best in Plano I've tried.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Yao Fuzi! Yes. Love that place;miss that place. However, yes Panda Express is crap, but there is no real Chinese food here; it is all Americanized. I realized that when I visited China and nothing--absolutely nothing was like the Chinese food here.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Yao Fuzi! Yes. Love that place;miss that place. However, yes Panda Express is crap, but there is no real Chinese food here; it is all Americanized. I realized that when I visited China and nothing--absolutely nothing was like the Chinese food here.
So, the natural question at this point is... The people peddling this "Chinese" food here seem to be authentically Chinese, or Asian if nothing else. So, are they pushing total crap on the rest of us and having a nice laugh at our expense?? Just wondering.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
So, the natural question at this point is... The people peddling this "Chinese" food here seem to be authentically Chinese, or Asian if nothing else. So, are they pushing total crap on the rest of us and having a nice laugh at our expense?? Just wondering.
It depends on where you are. There are many places in Plano, Richardson, and parts of Carrollton that are authentic and make food just like they would in China (and yes I have been to China-four times). However, most places in the Metroplex (and any urban area in the US) make it more Americanized. Why? Otherwise, no one would eat there. You have to be able to appeal to Americans to stay afloat in 90% of the any urban area. You have to have the ethnic community to support it and in the Dallas area, that means being in Plano or Richardson for the most part. Thats why you look for the ethnic communities to find the more authentic food. Even in LA, it wasnt easy finding authentic Chinese outside of the San Gabriel Valley, Chinatown, and certain parts of Orange County like Diamond Bar.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 PM

36 posts, read 95,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Try A Wok on Independence just south of Parker in Plano. Order from menu and everything is made fresh and tastes it. Great place worth dinning in as well
Cinderella I dont know the place you mentioned so cant help with your question. But give A Wok a try if you havent already.
Tried A wok takeout last night after reading this post. The food definitely tasted good and felt fresh. She even threw in a few egg rolls :-) I foresee many more takeouts from here in the future...

Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidon View Post
Tried A wok takeout last night after reading this post. The food definitely tasted good and felt fresh. She even threw in a few egg rolls :-) I foresee many more takeouts from here in the future...
Great to hear, I enjoy eating in there too with the Chinese broadcast on TV and the native writing on the blackboards on the wall it has a nice real Chinese feel. The owners are a nice couple whose English is great and are very nice. I believe they are new to this location IIRC>

Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I posted this in a thread in the city vs. city forum. I think it could answer some questions in this thread too.

"There are real Chinese dishes cooked to the Chinese palate in just about every major city or any place with more than say 25,000 Chinese residents.

The easiest way to tell the difference between Americanized Chinese food vs. Chinese food cooked to the Chinese palate is:

1) Americans like their food sweeter. Americanized places will add more sugar to any dish to make it so. For example, Orange Chicken actually is a Chinese dish but its not nearly as sweet if you eat it in China (as I have). Here its almost like eating Orange candy.

2) If you order a chicken dish, if the meat is all white breast meat.

3) Most Americans cannot tolerate the spice that Chinese can especially in Szechuan cuisine. Many beef based dished come from that area and the Americanized places tone down the spice significantly. Ive been to Chengdu and eaten there and most Americans would be begging for a glass of milk if they ate most places there.

4) Chinese eat lots of things that Americans would find repulsive (chicken feet, monkeys brains, almost every part of a duck, etc.). If you go to a place that has ducks hanging for everyone to see, its authentic.

Just my obervations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas