Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post

I'm curious what people's perceptions of Plano would've been 15-20 years ago if city-data was around then. Probably similar to what people think of Frisco now.
Exactly the same ! I remembered people looking at us more than 15 years ago , especially people from Richardson at the time like we were snobing them! At the time nobody wanted anything to do with Plano West , they had just made the national news after a few accidents and student deaths and was named the " drug school" where white rich kids spend tons on money on cars , drugs but couldn't care less about studying....see how thing changed .....but now the same people from Plano defending themselves at the time , are the same ones " nosing" at Frisco......short memory!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
"Dallasites" who express disdain for everything north of LBJ remind me of Austinites who have never visited Dallas, yet speak negatively about it constantly.

Austin & Houston residents HATE Dallas, generally, and I don't really know why. Similarly, lots of people who cling to their Dallas identities think it makes them more Legit to slam Frisco, etc.

There is a lot of truth there (though it goes ALL directions, not just unilaterally). And I will admit, though a bit shamefully, that I have been on the other side of the coin both when I lived in Austin (and "detested" Dallas) and when I lived in Dallas (and "detested" the suburbs). But I guess over the years I've gotten a little older, wiser, more mature...or something...I just don't see that an entire city, area, or neighborhood can be defined by a specific subset of qualities. Not anymore than the hundreds or thousand of individuals who live in them can. Every place I have lived, I had discovered unexpected things, good and bad, that didn't match the "definition" I or others had of that area. So my thought is now...if a person can't see the good that an area, ANY area, can offer, well, that's their issue. Not saying every place is right for every person, because how boring (and cramped) would it be if that were the case. But who are you (general you) to judge what someone feels is right for them? Personally, I pick what speaks to me, what makes me and my family happy, what works for our lifestyle. I don't NEED to defend my choice (though I will be happy to tell you why I chose if for ME) because it is exactly that, MY choice. Whether it be a short vs long commute, a large new home vs an small older one, a top-notched district versus a so-so one, an urban neighborhood vs a suburban one....Opinions are often given on this board, sometimes harshly honest ones, and there is nothing necessarily wrong with that. But there is a difference between opinion and judgement, and we all know which is which. And I hope that the people who come on this board take all feedback with a grain of salt and eventually follow what feels right in their heart, whever that may lead, because THAT is where they will truly be happy.

OK...My inner hippe totally came out at the end of that one, but I guess if you didn't already know that about me, well...later, I gotta go hug some trees

Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
And goyish.

(It just occurred to me that is probably one of the main reasons I don't care for Frisco...it is very goyish!)
Oooo...had to look that one up. Had no clue what it meant...lol! Learn something new everyday

Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
I just hate having to trek up there for FC Dallas games. When I was living in Far North Dallas it wasn't that bad, but now that I'm in East Dallas, the drive is brutal. Once there, though, it's just like any other Collin County burb. The main intersections have strip malls with big box stores, interspersed with smaller, more interesting shops/restaurants. It's all very new, and really not my scene, but hey, if people like it (which they seem to, given the rapid population increases), then good for them.

I just wish FC Dallas played in Dallas. Maybe when they outgrow their current place (eventually), they will have enough cultural and monetary pull to get a stadium closer to town.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Frisco has done a great job attracting employers and a broad base of commercial tax income (offices, Dr Pepper Park, Stars Center, Stonebriar, etc).

Where I find it lacking is the housing choices- most of the subdivisions are cramped and unoriginal looking. Cookie cutter at its very worst. I don't think the housing stock will age well (no different than Plano's which is not attractive and looks very of the 1980's/ early 1990's), HOWEVER, if Frisco ISD can't get it's sh$t together and start really upping its SAT scores/ % NMSF/ qualify of college matriculation, it's future is completely sunk. People put up with paying more for older/ outdated homes in Plano and Coppell because - and ONLY because - of the school's stellar reputations. Once Frisco isn't the newest game in town, the same people attracted to it now will push further north and Frisco may not have stellar schools to fall back on to maintain housing values.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
If it's more than 15 miles outside of downtown Dallas or it's immediate outer ring of suburbs from the early 80's, then it's to be derided and shunned.
15 miles? I would never drive 15 miles! More like 3 to 5 miles... If it takes more than a couple songs on the radio, it's too far.

And I'm not envious at all!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Wait, I take that back, 5 miles is too far.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I like Frisco, it has some great golf courses and a few good restaurants options and not too far from W. Plano. Id go to Frisco over Dallas anytime. Dallas is too congested and too far for my taste. Hmmm isnt that the argument made against Frisco...by Dallas residents. Seems like the I am the center of my universe and you should agree with me syndrome is alive and well. I am not a fan of larger lots, how much yard does an older family without kids need? Mine is the size I want and prefer... but your needs and mileage my vary

Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Simply put...haters gonna hate.

If it's more than 15 miles outside of downtown Dallas or it's immediate outer ring of suburbs from the early 80's, then it's to be derided and shunned. Nothing can compare to their own local zip code where they were raised or have moved to, and they have a burning fire inside to make all opinions see this.

Yet, they don't see that the reason that Frisco (and other cities outside the 'ring') are the fastest growing, is because people (lot's of them obviously) don't agree with their assessments. And it tears them up mightily.

Is Frisco as developed as Lakewood or Dallas or HP/UP areas? No, and won't be for another 20 years. But that matters not, for the haters, because simply....haters gonna hate.
"If it's more than 15 miles outside of downtown Dallas or it's immediate outer ring of suburbs from the early 80's, then it's to be derided and shunned. Nothing can compare to their own local zip code where they were raised or have moved to, and they have a burning fire inside to make all opinions see this.

Yet, they don't see that the reason that Frisco (and other cities outside the 'ring') are the fastest growing, is because people (lot's of them obviously) don't agree with their assessments".

Accurate....While I don't like some of Frisco's zoning (still pretty impressive for such a large city) and the overall lot sizes of the neighborhoods,it is a pretty fantastic place to live.We chose the Town of Prosper for the smaller build out (65,000) and the Town feel.If we could not have afforded the considerably higher property
taxes in Prosper and extra maintenance on our large lot,we certainly would have considered Frisco.

If your budget is under $200,000,I dont think there is a better option than Frisco. West Mc Kinney is a fantastic option as well,but the property taxes are higher and the lots tend to be a bit bigger. Frisco is a fantastic affordable choice.While the under $200,00 price range inventory is small,it does exist in Frisco if you are diligent about looking.

Last edited by CREW747; 03-27-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
I don't hate Frisco, but I don't want to buy a house there. It is one of (if not the) fastest growing city in the US. In DFW, both Arlington and Mesquite once had that distinction. I don't want to live in the next Arlington or Mesquite. Frisco thinks that won't happen to them. I'm not convinced.
Frisco well never be Arlington or Mesquite....the zoning is different and housing prices reflect that.The new residential building in Frisco is mostly 280,000 plus. The school district is sought after at 130,000 people already.Frisco has very little in common with Arlington or Mesquite.Frisco in the height of the boom attracted a different demographic,it is not an inner ring suburbs like Arlington or Mesquite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas