Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM

56 posts, read 94,548 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm relocating to Dallas and we found two places we like after being out and shopping around this weekend. The one we were most interested in is on Cedar Springs, right off of Kings street, just south of Lemmon.

Unfortunately, after walking the area, it seems like a large public housing project is right around the corner (Hawthorne Ave area). It did not feel particularly safe walking around, as you might expect. I did a little digging on crime maps, etc. and it doesn't look horrible there, but I am concerned about the presence of the complex. Has anyone lived in this area or have any experience with it?

We have two dogs that we routinely walk in our current neighborhood and don't want to have to be concerned about being outside with dogs, friends, family. Thoughts?

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
You probably want to look to the east of the Dallas North Tollway rather than west. Check the north Oak Lawn area, between Lemmon Ave to Hawthorne. This is just south of Highland Park is an older and outstanding neighborhood. I've walked my dog around the area most anytime of day or late night with absolutely no problems.

You should find a bunch of apartments, condo's, townhomes, and old but awesome duplexes. You probably wont' find any advertisements for rent there, mostly signs in yards or word of mouth.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I would not do it, especially if you need to be out walking dogs several times a day. There is a lot of drug activity in that neighborhood. I once saw a group of men assaulting someone at the park near Kings & Maple- right in broad daylight.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Thank you both for your input. It seems like it's right on the edge, which concerns me. I don't feel like I'm being oversensitive based on what we saw when walking around there. It's just a shame that the unit is exactly what we're looking for.

Similarly - does anyone know of any plans for the large greenspace next to the cedar springs housing complex? It's nearly the same size block of land, completely fenced off. There are upscale complexes backing right up to it, and I will make the dangerous asusmption that the area will improve, but I know transitional is not always a safe bet, either.

Any additional input? Thanks!

Mike

Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I wouldn't even call that area "in transition". It's just poor and run down barrio.

The "in transition" areas around Uptown are more on the east side of 75 between Bryan Place & Fitzhugh or by the Design District (across 35 from AAC), not west of the Tollroad. Eventually, sure. Within next decade, probably. Within next few years, doesn't appear to be moving that way at all.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
The one we were most interested in is on Cedar Springs, right off of Kings street, just south of Lemmon.
Are you looking at The Piazza or The Atera(formerly the Madison)? If either, your fine. Both of those are pretty safe, and I see people walking on Cedar Springs a lot.

Quote:
Unfortunately, after walking the area, it seems like a large public housing project is right around the corner (Hawthorne Ave area). It did not feel particularly safe walking around, as you might expect. I did a little digging on crime maps, etc. and it doesn't look horrible there, but I am concerned about the presence of the complex. Has anyone lived in this area or have any experience with it?
I would not walk around those either. I really wish the city would tear those down!

Quote:
Similarly - does anyone know of any plans for the large greenspace next to the cedar springs housing complex? It's nearly the same size block of land, completely fenced off. There are upscale complexes backing right up to it, and I will make the dangerous asusmption that the area will improve, but I know transitional is not always a safe bet, either.
The large green space was also public housing. It was torn down to build new public housing
Fortunately, the city doesn't have the funds available to build the new housing. I'm hoping they sell the land to a developer. Oak Lawn public housing to be torn down | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

There have been a lot of rundown apartments torn down all around it. Eventually this whole area will be transformed. New Dallas apartments in the works for Oak Lawn area | Biz Beat Blog

Quote:
Any additional input? Thanks!
If you don't feel safe, keep looking. Good luck

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-13-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
That area is improving though. All the new apartments coming online around UT Southwestern and with what's going on along Maple Avenue is bound to spill over to that part of Cedar Springs at some point -- but not soon enough for your impending move. Like others said, look in North Oak Lawn, close to the Highland Park border. There's a variety of apartments/condos/townhomes for rent there and there are always people out walking dogs.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
2L8, Cedar Springs Rd is directly beneath the principal flight path for Love Field. Whether or not a jet is landing or taking off, any conversation will stop. Being indoors doesn't really help much. Not to mention the prop wash...

Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,116 times
I live in the Dylan, which is at Hawthorne and Cedar Springs. We have a dog, which we normally walk in the neighborhood north of Cedar Springs east of the tollway. On shorter walks, we do take him around Kings Rd and Hawthorne next to the public housing (did it this evening after work). We only do it during the daytime and haven't felt unsafe doing it. Kids (and adults) in the complex come up and pet our dog, with no issues.

I'm more bothered by living directly in the flight path of Love field. I don't think I would ever buy a home here for that reason alone.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Thank you all for your help! We're leaning towards another property in downtown Dallas given the relative safety and feel of the area. Thanks!

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas