Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,775 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are having our first full night away in forever on Monday June 24th. The kids are going to grandmas and we are driving from Fort Worth to go to the Neil Gaiman book signing at The Majestic Theater.

That starts at 7 and is supposed to go VERY late so we thought we may just get a hotel room and make a full romantic and exciting day and night away. We thought it would be nice to head to the hotel and check in around 2 and just spend so time there, go out to eat, and then head to the Majestic. Any suggestions on places to stay in the area? How about to eat a nice early dinner and late breakfast the next morning before heading home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Near the Majestic is the Indigo. This is on the east side of downtown which can get kinda sketchy past Harwood.
The Joule would be nicer. Dinner at Wild Salsa.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM

326 posts, read 962,397 times
Hotel Indigo is the closest and a decent hotel, but the Magnolia or Adolphus (or Joule, if you want to splurge) might be a good location just a few blocks away and surrounded by more activity. Sometimes the Sheraton runs good deals when not booked for conventions; it's an easy walk to the Majestic and closer to the Arts District / Klyde Warren Park. For restaurants you could find something close on Main Street (like Dallas Chop House or Wild Salsa) or Lark on the Park, Stampede 66, Samar if you have time to walk. Stone Street Martini Lounge is a nice late-night bar on Main Street that doesn't get too crowded. Try Ellen's Southern Kitchen in the West End for breakfast or Hospitality Sweet at 400 North Ervay. While downtown you can always call E-frogs to shuttle you around if the walking is too much.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
For restaurants you could find something close on Main Street (like Dallas Chop House or Wild Salsa) .
I've never liked any of the restaurants run by that owner. My contrasting opinion would be that Sol Irlandes is superior to Wild Salsa in both food and staff.

For hotels, look at the Adolphus.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,457 times
Hey, I'm going to Dallas for the same thing (from Tulsa)!

So I'm up for any recommendations too. I'll likely be staying with an aunt though, so I'm looking for mostly restaurant and things-to-do ideas.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
One thing you really MUST do if you have time (and it sounds like you might) is drinks in the afternoon at the roof-top SODA Bar at the NYLO Hotel on S. Lamar St. Just get on Lamar in lower downtown, follow it under the convention center & it's just a few more blocks down on the right. It's in a restored/updated 6 or 7 story warehouse type building. There's a pool deck and bar up there with just about the best overall skyline view in town!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 05-21-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyh View Post
Hey, I'm going to Dallas for the same thing (from Tulsa)!

So I'm up for any recommendations too. I'll likely be staying with an aunt though, so I'm looking for mostly restaurant and things-to-do ideas.
Do you know what area your aunt lives in? That way we can suggest places between her and The Majestic.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Do you know what area your aunt lives in? That way we can suggest places between her and The Majestic.
Let's see...She's in north Dallas, east of Royal Lane station, near Peter Pan park (I feel like I barely know what I'm talking about, haha).

Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM

Another question: Does the area around the Majestic have any free parking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas